Gibson Brands Forums

I think I'm going to put 11's on all my acoustics!

onewilyfool

I just switched from D'Addario Custom lights 11-52 to their Extra light 10-47 I play really light handed and use a lot of bends.

I have found that lighter strings have some odd pinging when they are new but after some playing it seems to go away. I first thought it was something with my bone saddle but have heard it on my Martin with a Corian nut and saddle too.

I don't play in public so a little less volume doesn't bother me.

I usually go with lights (12s) on most of my guitars. Sometimes med-lights. It gets kind of confusing between the various string brands. I don't hear a great deal of difference between lights and mediums, but the extra lights are just too weak for my ears. Big difference (loss) in volume, sustain, and tone when you drop down to the extra light strings and they don't seem suited-well for heavy strumming patterns. However, I think most of this string stuff comes-down to personal preferences, just like guitars. There's no "best" way. Just the way that works best for "you."[thumbup]

I recently went from 12s to 11s on my LG-2 and like 'em a lot. Easier to play and I don't notice any volume loss. I think it does have better articulation of each string when strumming chords (less muddy when pushed). I have using Masterbuilt Phosphor bronze 12s on my J45 since I got it and don't see a need to change....going to try the 11s on there for the heck of it sometime though.

So for now...11s on small body, 12s on dread.

I have been using .12's but want to switch to .11's as I'm just loosing too much strength in the finger/hand grip. I may have to deal with a neck disk issue something this year but for now it's getting to where I just can't barr cord for very long at all with .12's.

Don, if you check, I voted for .11's as I'm moving that way. Maybe will move back if I just can't stand them, but for now I think it's been decided for me.

Aster

Archived