Gibson Brands Forums

I think I'm going to put 11's on all my acoustics!

onewilyfool

I mean, you don't lose much volume, easier on the hands, MAYBE, just maybe the high "E" and "B" strings can sound a little "airy" on some guitars but not bad. I can bend chords and strings much easier, and if I play through an amp, what difference does it make??? Any of youse guys and gals use 11's ...12's....13's???

Well...I hesitate to discuss string preferences at the risk of putting anyone to sleep. Since I like old guitars, if I'm using 12's they're slack tuned, but I still like 11's on the hands. If it's easier, it's likely more enjoyable and allows longer playing times. I find that lighter strings help me improve a little more quickly, and I realize it's because my hands don't tire.

I'm really supposed to be working on my house...

The strings I use vary from guitar to guitar. While in general I prefer nickel 12s or 13s, I do use 11s on some of the older ones without truss rods or will mix then up and go with 12s on the high end but say a 52 on the low end. All depends on the characateristics of the guitar

I won't vote as I always used 12's but I am on the verge of a change.

Today I picked up a set of Tomastick Infeld from Rudys in the .012-.054 Spectrum...they didnt have DR Sunbeams nor Plectrum..nor .011 Spectrum.

So I have these very fine looking strings but total pressure amounts to 167Lbs compared to EXP's (I use Elixer but dont see lbs listed anywhere) which are around 163Lbs...Im kind of going in the wrong direction as I want lighter.

Still Id like to try these & DR Sunbeam version of .012's anyway

Not sure what to put em on Lowden..Huss & Dalton..(J200 & D42 in Shoppe getting frets leveled till next week)

I have 12s Masterbuilts on almost everything since I bought a huge box of them from Elderly recently - I could't get any near me....

Except.....

For some reason the Blues King likes 13s MBs - I changed them Saturday morning and have been reluctant to put the guitar down since - it is breaking in beautifully after a few years of ownership, and with the new 13s MBs on this morning, it sounded like a piano almost!

A wonderful, wonderful guitar - a real shame I didn't hit record on the Zoom, but that would have broke the spirit......I really think I was playing my best ever (one of the aims of practicing a lot) and my Blues King was sounding truly the best it has ever sounded!

Shame Gibson for not giving this terrific guitar a case that it deserves! I tried everywhere around here, but all I could get was an Epiphone EL-00 case at the time - I am now on a mission....

BluesKing777.

I

Shame Gibson for not giving this terrific guitar a case that it deserves! I tried everywhere around here, but all I could get was an Epiphone EL-00 case at the time - I am now on a mission....

BluesKing777.

BK,

The correct case for the Blues King is model # C-388G. One was ordered by the dealer for the BK that I bought and later sold. Same case came with my L-00. On paper it was a $40 upgrade when ordered with the instruments and it fits like a glove. Perhaps a 5 Star Dealer could get one for you.

I never thought about 13s for the 00 size Gibson .... worth trying. Thanks for the suggestion.

BK,

The correct case for the Blues King is model # C-388G. One was ordered by the dealer for the BK that I bought and later sold. Same case came with my L-00. On paper it was a $40 upgrade when ordered with the instruments and it fits like a glove. Perhaps a 5 Star Dealer could get one for you.

I never thought about 13s for the 00 size Gibson .... worth trying. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah...if you wanna' see that bridge pop off.

According to D'Addario the total string tension of their phosphor bronze string sets is as follows:

12s = 163.2 pounds

13s = 173.3 pounds

So, your assertion is that an additional 10 pounds (a mere 6 percent increase) will ruin the bridge?

Probably not, if the ends are consistently hooked and seated properly. I don't know about the new L00's but the ancient mariners have thin delicate tops. Maybe I'd be more worried that they would pull the bracing down below the soundhole.

BK,

Thanks for the part number!

And sorry, sorry, sorry - I tune down one tone or 2 steps and I have a bridge split before, but horizontally....my guitar tech filled the split with glue and said -"You're Away!"

BluesKing777.

EDIT:

The Blues King case business has been going on for 3 or more years since I bought it.

We don't have a 5 Star Gibson Dealer in Australia. I can't order from a US 5 Star Gibson Dealer - they won't send - say to go to the local Gibson dealer.....The Gibson Dealer is where I got the Epiphone case for the BK, which is all they had - the only Gibson cases they have are the ones the Gibson guitars arrive in Australia in, and they were not going to separate one just for their possible best customer.

I went there first when I wanted a replacement case for my 52 LG1, but no luck. I have since discovered and bought from another shop a classical guitar case that fits perfectly! The Gibson 'expert' didn't know this.

Really, I don't like shop assassinations much, but as any kind of dealer this particular shop would manage about Minus Five Stars!

So I give up and wear the Epi case....

BluesKing777.

whats the reason for dealers not posting from the states BK ?

is that treading on the toes of 'fellow colleagues' ?

maybe someone on here from the states could help you out ?

I am guessing only, but I would say the head offices have been told to support their branch offices and dealers instead of walking over them for a sale.

I could get a case of eBay, but I have given up on the whole thing and just have to be happy with my Epi case - I will keep an eye out for something that doesn't cost $2000 to deliver....

It sure is a sweet sounding Gibson Blues King - it has gone through a few 'nasty-sounding' phases - I don't know why - but it is mellowing out nicely at the moment. The Medium MBs can be really horrible and hard to play once they have gone stale!

BluesKing777.

I've experimented allot with various string gauges and manufactures, but I always seem to come back to using the

Gibson MB PB 13's on the guitars. I did just order some Gibson MB 80/20 13's that I've not seen before, so I'll be

trying those out next.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to changing the 12s to 11s on my Korean A/E.

I don't immediately notice any volume, tone, projection differences that make me say, "OMG - I gotta' switch back!"

It does play easier though. It's been all of an hour or so. I'll leave them for a good while and see.

Anybody want a deal on 6 sets of D'Addario EJ16s? Make me an offer ;-)

Archived