Gibson Brands Forums

Any experience with Duncan P-Rails?

Notes_Norton

I don't own one, yet, but It's next on my purhcase list.

I've been checking them out on various youtube vids etc, and they seem to be as good as you'd hope. I'll remember to dig up this thread when I get it, but might be a while still...

I'm going to be getting a second Parker DF built for me as soon as I get a price on a custom configuration.

I have a DF with the strat-like S-S-SH configuration and I dearly love it. It gives me everything I want except the P90 sound. I have one built with plain-old P90s in it, but why not go for the P-Rail and get P90, rail and humbucker. I know there will be a compromise there, but if I read the reviews right, the compromise is mostly in the rail and humbucker modes - and it isn't that bad.

I have an LTD LP-clone that I put GFS Mean 90s in. If the P90 part of the P-Rails sound at least that good, I'll be extremely happy.

Notes

I have the original version of the p-rails in one of my guitars and really like the flexibility. The single coil setting is good maybe not exactly the same as a full p-90 but very close if anything just a bit brighter but definitely close enough that it doesn't really matter usually . I'd agree that the hum bucker doesn't sound as thick but I'm not sure if that's the pickup or the fact that I mounted them into a L6-s so it's a thinner and lighter guitar the a LP. overall the sound is good and with two p-rails the flexibility is really fun. Ive only done one guitar with that config but I have bought a couple more p-rail neck pickups a few months back but I have never installed them yet mostly just lazy. the plan is to put them in the neck on a couple of my Les Paul players that way I'll have the option of a p-90 at the neck and a Humuckerr bridge which is my favorite combination. and I can do that still have a double HB when required and not have to worry about Routing and damaging a guitar. I also feel that the p-rails are closer in sound to a p-90 than any of the hum bucker sized single coils configs like Gibson's P94. On the dual P-rail guitar i wired it into a rotary switch on the L6-S to change config on the two neck pickups I'm planning on using the Triple shot mounting rings again so the guitar stays stock.

Archived