Gibson Brands Forums

How Did The Les Paul Artisan Ever Get Started ?

Dennis D near Milwaukee

Oddly enough, Dennis, the period '76 - '77 was very much THE highlight of the Norlin era.

There were numerous special models introduced - some as a celebration of the 'Bi-Centennial' such as the '76 Firebirds and Thunderbirds; The first re-issue of the Explorer was also in '76; "The Les Paul", a very highly prized, and very expensive model where all the 'plastics' were made of wood; some celebrated the 25th anniversary of the Les Paul such as the 25/50 and the re-introduction of the 3-p'up Custom; the introduction of the Maple-fingerboard Customs; The RD series of 4- and 6-string instruments; the 'Mark' range of acoustics; various LP Specials and Melody Makers; the LP Pro DeLuxe and so on and on.

There were probably more new models introduced in this two-year period than at any other time in the history of the company!

As far as the Artisan itself goes, here is some info published over on the Les Paul Forum website by the extraordinary Mike Slubowski;

http://www.lespaulfo...rtisan1.03.html

If you don't already know Mr. Slubowski I suggest you treat yourself to a peek at his collection. Go to the LesPaulForum website, click on 'Guitars' over at the left hand side, and check out his link (top left) in the 'Larger Collections' page...

Enjoy!

P.

I do own one,love it, and can't imagine how it ever got the production go-ahead in the late seventies, amidst all the Gibson / Norlin era corporate turmoil going on at that time.

Please, tell me more of this, as I have no recollection of it.

rct

$1040 for a guitar in a year where a new Chevy Camaro was $4400. You think for that price they could have at least threw in the case. [tongue]

Hell lot of money it was for '76-'77 Camaro... (or for any other castrated, post-oil-crisis "muscle" car).

Hell lot of money it was for '76-'77 Camaro... (or for any other castrated, post-oil-crisis "muscle" car).

Off topic, but I had a 1976 with the catalytic converter and low compression to work with unleaded gasoline. It was a shame such a lamb was in a lion's shell.

Off topic, but I had a 1976 with the catalytic converter and low compression to work with unleaded gasoline. It was a shame such a lamb was in a lion's shell.

Hehe! That's what I meant. So if that junk costed 4000 dollars, the grand for an Artisan doesn't seem that much at all. :D

Cheers... Bence

If you haven't already done so, rct, click on the link in my earlier post. There's a bit about them there.

P.

Yeah, I got that. I was being caustic and facetious, usenet-y of old. They were good days for Gibson, Gibson Guitars, Norlin, whomever. Whatever "corporate turmoil" was going on was good for everyone. The Bicentennial Firebirds alone were astounding, the half a dozen I remember playing were all beauties. The 76 Splorer was just exciting. The three pickup custom made us all Framptoons. I saw Artisans, prolly played a couplefew, were expensive so out of my range.

It was a good time. I don't know why people repeat stuff they may have read on or assumed from stuff they read on this here innernetz. People were there, many folks remember. It's the same with lawsuits, and CBS Fedners, and all the other dumb stuff that just gets repeated without thought to what actually went on.

I was being a d1ck. I'm only a little apologetic about that when it comes to guitar history.

rct

$1040 for a guitar in a year where a new Chevy Camaro was $4400. You think for that price they could have at least threw in the case. [tongue]

In 1976, the first year the "Les Paul Standard" reappeared on the Gibson dealer price list (they started making the production models again in mid/late '75), They went out the door (w/ case) for $500. I should know, I bought one.

If I remember correctly, my special order 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix (400 4-barrel, tricked out interior, mag wheels, full vinyl top, etc) cost me about $6000.

In 1976, the first year the "Les Paul Standard" reappeared on the Gibson dealer price list (they started making the production models again in mid/late '75), They went out the door (w/ case) for $500. I should know, I bought one.

And I bought them used for 3, 350 in great shape, out the door in a case. Or traded something usually straight up, hardly ever money involved. Good times.

rct

...Yeah, I got that. I was being caustic and facetious, usenet-y of old...

[laugh]

Sorry, rct, My Bad.

I thought you were meaning the Artisans in particular; not Norlins in general. I know you remember those days very well indeed!

I'm with you now, albeit several hours after the event......

[thumbup]

P.

It was a good time. I don't know why people repeat stuff they may have read on or assumed from stuff they read on this here innernetz. People were there, many folks remember. It's the same with lawsuits, and CBS Fedners, and all the other dumb stuff that just gets repeated without thought to what actually went on.

I was being a d1ck. I'm only a little apologetic about that when it comes to guitar history.

rct

Well, that's my point. I was there and I do remember. That's why I asked the question. We were younger, etc. etc., but manufacturing in this country during that time period was mediocre at best, and not getting better. Harley Davidson barely survived, and GM basically didn't. GM's market share began that period at over 40% !!

I saw the same quality issues with new Gibson instruments hanging on dealer walls as I was seeing with new cars. And I wasn't repeating gossip. I knew what the attidude was if you didn't like something.

I just thought there may have been someone here who may have known just how that model came to be.

Well, I don't remember any more bricks as a percentage of overall Gibsons or Fenders than today. I really don't. I owned at least 6 Gibsons before 1980, I spent a lot of time in music stores too. My 66 Firebird was noisey, that's about the worst thing I can recall.

The Artisan was kinda odd, and very cool as I remember. I think they just wanted to make a nice guitar, even nicer than a Custom!

Monzas were awful, I agree.

rct

Archived