Gibson Brands Forums

Which Gibson is the AJ-220S a clone of?

cliffenstein

I love my AJ-220S at least 10 times more now than when I first got it. It blows my mind how good it sounds. However, I can't put my finger on exactly which Gibson, if any, it's truly supposed to be an "entry level" version of. The J-45 doesn't have fretboard binding. The J-45 Custom has gold hardware and stars for fretboard markers as well as that awful abalone on the rosette. The Advanced Jumbo has the wild looking fretboard markers and the pickguard that follows the curve of the body.

The closest seems to be the J-45 Standard but with a bound fretboard and of course a simpler rosette.

Is there a Gibson guitar from any year that the AJ-220S is pretty much exactly like?

NOTE: I hate the term "entry level" used in conjunction with any of Epiphone's solid top guitars. If you treat them right and get them set up properly for you they are stage ready, professional instruments.

I had the AJ200 - the earlier version of this guitar and for £100 at the time it was unbelievable. After playing it for about 2 years it opened up and sounded beautiful, definitely not like an "entry level guitar". My EJ160e sounds similar but took a longer time to really open up as much. For me the AJ220 is the biggest bargain of all Epiphone guitars (and probably most of their rivals).

Oh, sure, I understand that...I'm simply referring to overall appearance.

I could be wrong but I don't think the 220S is a clone of any Gibson or Epiphone. In appearance my 220S reminds me most of a Gibson AJ Rosewood which I once owned...except for the wood they are similar in size, shape, scale, and color, the fullness in tone was similar also, but for the typical Rosewood tone. In tone my 220S most closely matches my Masterbilt AJ500M. It is clear they are quite related in tone and volume, scale and body build...but that is natural finish while my 220S is burst.

I do not believe the 220S can be compared to any Gibson or Epiphone J-45...these are two entirely different sounding guitars with entirely different scale lengths and bracing. The AJ being built for volume and muscular tone...the J-45 for a more toned town, quieter (than the AJ) tone with faster decay and slightly less resonance...which is what makes it a stunning vocal guitar for singer song writers.

My AJ models can sometimes be over powering ...loud and lusty...which does not always make for the easiest of guitars to sing with, as the volume can compete with some vocals. The J-45...like the Hummingbird, Is a guitar that seems be able to blend itself behind the voice supporting it fully, but not overpowering it....the muscular AJ roars with a rich, round, loud, and vibrant sound. ...at least that is how I see my own models performing. And the AJ220S performs well for this.

I think it's made to look like a J45 on a budget, let's face it entry level guitar buyers aren't exactly going to be worrying about what era Gibson their beginner guitar is a copy of.

The Gibson J-45 doesn't have a bound fretboard.

I'm not an entry level guitar buyer. I'm just not willing to pay thousands of dollars for something I can get for a couple hundred. I took the time to wade through the lower priced guitars and found one that was absolutely killer. This left me feeling good about putting money into it to add a the missing fretboard dot and get a full fret dressing and still feel great about what I paid.

The Gibson J-45 doesn't have a bound fretboard.

I'm not an entry level guitar buyer. I'm just not willing to pay thousands of dollars for something I can get for a couple hundred. I took the time to wade through thee lower priced guitars and found one that was absolutely killer. This left me feeling good about putting money into it to add a the missing fretboard dot and get a full fret dressing and still feel great about what I paid.

Epiphone and Musician's Friend may beg to differ....

From Epiphone comes the beautiful entry-level acoustic-electric guitar, priced for anyone to afford

So technically if you purchased an AJ-220s then you are in fact an entry level guitar buyer, which to be honest is nothing to be ashamed of. Finding value at a low price point is something we all try our best to achieve, I like to buy a lot of my gear on the used market for this reason alone. But with all that said there is a difference in our lowly Epiphones and their Gibson equivalents, how much that difference is worth is up to each individual. But it's there and we're only fooling ourselves if we try to believe it isn't. As much as I love my Epiphone's the real deal comes at a cost and for good reason.

Morkolo,

I'm well aware of how the AJ-220S guitars are marketed. Epiphone even refers to them as a "great beginner's guitar."

When I wrote that I'm not an entry level guitar buyer, I was expressing that when I bought my AJ-220S I wasn't expressly looking for an entry level market guitar. I'm not a novice guitarist and these guitars are far, far more than merely entry level or beginner's guitars.

Epiphone's official marketing video from a few years ago drives that point home nicely.

Is there a Gibson guitar from any year that the AJ-220S is pretty much exactly like?

It looks like the video you provided in the link above answered the question for you Cliff.

In 1936, Gibson introduced the "Advanced Jumbo" (AJ) acoustic guitar. With it's one-inch wider 16" lower bout, rounded or sloped shoulder dreadnought shape and a 25.5" scale length, the AJ was a powerful flat-top referred to in later Gibson literature as an "acoustic cannon." Today, this legendary design is carried over with Epiphone new AJ-220S acoustic guitar.

So from the looks of it the AJ220S is loosely designed on the original run of Gibson Advanced Jumbos.... minus the more elaborate inlays, head stock design, bridge, wood types, bracing etc. In the end what we get is Epiphone's stripped down version of a classic, which works nicely at this price point. [thumbup]

My AJ models can sometimes be over powering ...loud and lusty...which does not always make for the easiest of guitars to sing with, as the volume can compete with some vocals. The J-45...like the Hummingbird, Is a guitar that seems be able to blend itself behind the voice supporting it fully, but not overpowering it....the muscular AJ roars with a rich, round, loud, and vibrant sound. ...at least that is how I see my own models performing. And the AJ220S performs well for this.

Great description GL - I found my AJ200 difficult to sing over when it opened up - couldn't strum it too hard - I like the word muscular as a descriptor [thumbup]

I never really thought about the AJ-220S being overly loud, but that's because I haven't used a pick since my electric guitar days. I got out a pick tonight and gave it a work out.

Holy cow! I get what you guys mean now. This thing is totally full, big and loud while still retaining the killer tone. I was surprised at the headroom, too...it wasn't breaking up at all!

Entry level, beginner's guitar...pfft!

Morkolo,

I'm well aware of how the AJ-220S guitars are marketed. Epiphone even refers to them as a "great beginner's guitar."

When I wrote that I'm not an entry level guitar buyer, I was expressing that when I bought my AJ-220S I wasn't expressly looking for an entry level market guitar. I'm not a novice guitarist and these guitars are far, far more than merely entry level or beginner's guitars.

Epiphone's official marketing video from a few years ago drives that point home nicely.

I think they market it that way for people that are starting and know that a 100 dollar DR100 isn't going to be great. "beginner guitar" from a purchasing stand point I guess but in no way should detour seasoned players. when I make a purchase be it a guitar or amp or microphone (anything gear related) I'm not really concerned with weather it is for "beginners". another example would be buying a mic for my studio. I have a lot of pro level gear but the first mic I suggest to people that are starting out is a shure 57. it's a great start and is priced at a beginner level. it seems like I'm rambling but I totally get where you're coming from.

speaking of the backwards way that Epiphone markets guitars...the new PRO series (really??) are specifically marketed to beginners so I don't think that Epiphone is hitting the nail on the head when it comes to what constitutes a guitar being "beginner".

• 4 weeks later...

Archived