Gibson Brands Forums

Promotional Gibson LP Special - Southern Comfort

Johnny Seven

This is my buddy's Gibson LP Special "Southern Comfort" pawn shop "special".. [confused]

As I mentioned, he got it at a pawn shop a few years back - for $500, w/ a nice Gibson case. I'm not sure of the year, but I can ask him, and find out.

Anybody familiar with these oddballs?.. :-k I'm assuming they were probably made for some contest or something, and most likely not many were made, but I'm just guessing here..

Also, does anybody know if these had real P-90's? (Or P-100's..)

Thanks for any info!

Russ%20LP%20Special_zpsiv9nsfe5.jpg

SouthernComfortLesPaulSpecialcase.jpg

Not for nothing, but there was a band down in Texas in the 90s name of Southern Comfort. I remember one of the brothers customizing a Special with their name. That was not long before they were ceased and desisted by the booze company. I might be remembering the wrong band, it was a long time ago.

Just a pleasant memory of usenet, rmmg. I don't know whatever became of them guys, but there it is.

rcct

There was a Southern Comfort concert series where different guitars were given out to lucky fans & IIRC Charlie Daniels was the headliner..

I used to own a "Southern Comfort House of Blues Rock-N-Roots Series" Gibson Blueshawk like this one on eBay now-

Gibson LE 1998 Blueshawk '98 Southern comfort house of Blues I paid $400 BTW..

Traded it toward a Gibson Les Paul Classic Premium Plus Trans Amber in 2002

$_12.JPG

Gary/Hk

This is my buddy's Gibson LP Special "Southern Comfort" pawn shop "special".. [confused]

As I mentioned, he got it at a pawn shop a few years back - for $500, w/ a nice Gibson case. I'm not sure of the year, but I can ask him, and find out.

Anybody familiar with these oddballs?.. :-k I'm assuming they were probably made for some contest or something, and most likely not many were made, but I'm just guessing here..

Also, does anybody know if these had real P-90's? (Or P-100's..)

Thanks for any info!

Russ%20LP%20Special_zpsiv9nsfe5.jpg

SouthernComfortLesPaulSpecialcase.jpg

Dude, it says 'Historic' on the case ;). I think you're in luck!!

Guest Farnsbarns

Dude, it says 'Historic' on the case ;). I think you're in luck!!

Custom - Art - Historic: the original name for what became the custom shop. Still good news, of course. If it's the original case it's s CS made guitar. That makes sense of course.

J7, I think your friend got a good price.

• 2 weeks later...

Custom - Art - Historic: the original name for what became the custom shop. Still good news, of course. If it's the original case it's s CS made guitar. That makes sense of course.

J7, I think your friend got a good price.

Thanks for that info on the Custom-Art-Historic. I didn't know the history of the CS. I'll tell my bud this info. Not sure if the case is original - and the one that this LP came in - but if so, that is pretty good news that this is a CS guitar..

Archived