Gibson Brands Forums

We are closer to 2030 than we are to 2000....

saturn

just sayin......

[scared] :blink: [unsure]

That's not funny. In 2030, mankind will reach the peak phosphorus from mineable ore, and then starvation would start taking over. My idea is dropping next to all air and sea traffic and push the energy into regaining phosphorus from marine water. We won't have any other choice.

1451667579[/url]' post='1726059']

That's not funny. In 2030, mankind will reach the peak phosphorus from mineable ore, and then starvation would start taking over. My idea is dropping next to all air and sea traffic and push the energy into regaining phosphorus from marine water. We won't have any other choice.

Your just trying to cheer us up huh?

According to Heribert Illig, it's year 1719.

Bence

That would shift the peak phosphorus into the year 1733.

It's a strange phenomenon that such an important point has Wikipedia appearances in just two languages.

The only plausible cosmic theory, the black-hole cosmology, is also widely unknown and same rare in Wikipedia. Instead of accepting the truth, countries pay billions of tax payer money for thousands of useless physicists and senseless particle colliders. They create modern myths about quarks, gluons, strings and other rubbish.

Hello Capmaster!

The point of building colliders is fascinating.

Can You imagine a better job than being a researcher? Sitting in a laboratory playing Your guitar? Whenever Your boss comes in asking what are You doing, You can say: Well, I am thinking! When we will get the first results? Weeeell, it takes a couple of years, aaaand we need more resources. We gotta have a new "seismographoscope" (You want a new amp) and it's very expensive...

Just kidding, but it often seems like that for an outsider.

Cheers... Bence

Fact is that the peak phosphorus will mark an existential break for all human and animal life.

It's also a fact that particle physics brought up nothing worth mentioning since James Chadwick discovered the neutron in 1932. Into the bargain, string theory is designed to be safe against any proof or falsification, thus an eternal source of taxpayer money with the guarantee to find an end together with the extinction of mankind only.

The endless search for tone is much more sensible than any particle physics since they discovered the unfortunate, disastrous nuclear fission.

... an eternal source of customer money with the guarantee to find an end together with the extinction of mankind only.

That pretty much describes my job, in fact. :D Too bad, I only get a tiny share of that money.

That pretty much describes my job, in fact. :D Too bad, I only get a tiny share of that money.

Now that's a completely different story, although the claimed "innovation" seems to be common and vital to make people and governments pay. Nothing will last forever, and obsolescence by design is "innovation" rule #1. Of course, except for "vintage" replica following aging by design and manufacturing. [rolleyes]

Ah, I worry not. Our customer doesn't expect innovation from us. They are very happy to do "business as usual". The very same stubborn approach of Gibson customers, makes Gibson to innovate methods of removing all innovations from their Historic products (molecular analysis and such).

Bence

Ah, I worry not. Our customer doesn't expect innovation from us. They are very happy to do "business as usual". The very same stubborn approach of Gibson customers, makes Gibson to innovate methods of removing all innovations from their Historic products (molecular analysis and such).

Bence

That obviously didn't do it for my former employer. The value added to the pharmaceutical substance lots by the processing I did per day increased my yearly income. It's even worse in homoeopathy, the second-biggest organized fraud worldwide besides high finance. Useless stuff sells for 1,200 times (yes, twelve-hundred times!) the value of the ingredients - in the average. Try to imagine what would happen if Henry J. found this out! [scared]

Speaking of fake innovations.

While posting here, I was thinking how much I hate that rush. Companies update, facelift their products at such a fast rate, that by the time one can purchase them, they are outdated. Phones, computers and cars.

Probably, You remember the Russian car manufacturers Lada and Volga. I guess a very few of them made to Germany as well, in the 80s. Primitive constructions, licensed or simply stolen designs. These companies still exist, Lada just made it's return to Hungary. Both manufacturers have new original designs, while they still offer their "classics" in parallel. Can You imagine, how funny it would be to buy a brand new Mercedes SEL 6.9 in it's 1979 shape? I would be happy to see such things.

Best wishes... Bence

Well, I think there's a difference between real and perceived innovations. Based on economy, ecology, and safety, it seems that cars, refrigerators, or cell phones obviously are very different from guitars, may the latter be acoustic or electric.

When about me, I never was seriously interested in "computing guitars" like Firebird X or LPX. On the other hand, even piezo pickups in solidbodies including their non-computing active circuits never caught on. However, I love my hybrid guitars very much.

The biggest practical problem is that the acoustic amp needs a ground-lift switch to avoid ground loops, and very few do have one like my Schertler JAM 150 does. Blowing piezos through an electric guitar amp will make you lose the upper two octaves and also create an uneven response in the rest of the frequency range.

The real value of the piezo'd solidbody innovation wasn't perceived as such, so hybrid guitars still are a niche product. Most were discontinued within the latest few years... [crying]

I never used them, so I don't have an opinion on them. When I play my guitars clean, I often play through an acoustic simulator. As much as a traditionalist I am, some new gadgets surprise me with their quality.

Just to have a good word on the progression too. ;)

Bence

To make it short, except for the limitations of hi-Z magnetic pickups, they all including lo-Z ones like the Shadow Nano-Mag alter the sound spectrum significantly. A system mounted into the bridge is the only solution for real string tone regardless of stringed instrument.

Here's why:

The transfer function of a string is defined by scale respectively fretted length and attack position. Acoustic guitars and piezo bridges get the entire vibration created by the player and transduce it. The acoustic guitar's hollowbody radiates low and middle frequencies while the strings put out the treble range like they also do on any solidbody. Piezo pickups transduce the entire range of the string tone with a high phase coherence which is often perceived as "sterile" or "artificial" compared to the inaccurate but natural projection of hollowbody plus strings. For that reason all piezos need a "bathtub" filter to attenuate the midrange making up by far most of the very string tone.

Electric guitars multiply the transfer function of the string, created by the player, with a second transfer function given by the pickup position. It will attenuate next to all frequencies. Very few are left at full level, most are more or less dampened, and some are cancelled out completely. Try the 5th fret harmonic through a neck pickup placed at the 2nd octave position like on a Les Paul guitar - it is cancelled out. Finally, coil inductance and the sum of all capacitances including guitar cable build up an LC resonator of a specicfic frequency and quality factor whcih is valid for the entire sound of all strings. This result of which the guitar cable is a part will be fed to the amp or FX box.

I think this makes clear why only a piezo bridge is able to transduce the entire string vibration created by the player.

One can say it is what electric guitars were initially intended to be, but before Les Barcus and John Berry it wasn't possible. When their patents expired in the 1980's, other tended to build piezos more and more, but guitar players seem to be resistant to innovations.

The Barcus-Berry company has French and German wikipedia appearances only - unbelieveable! To my senses, Les Barcus and John Berry are worth mentioning like Orville Gibson, Lloyd Loar, Leo Fender, and Les Paul.

Thanks for explaining. No wonder my Recording sound so nice with it's low-Z pickups. :)

Of course, it's still different from piezos. But the concept of stacking the coils of a humbucker reduces the losses typical of side by side coil design.

Thanks for explaining. No wonder my Recording sound so nice with it's low-Z pickups. :)

Of course, it's still different from piezos. But the concept of stacking the coils of a humbucker reduces the losses typical of side by side coil design.

Definitely. Les Paul's idea predated the invention of piezo systems as well as any stacked humbuckers like the Fender Noiseless pickups I like.

The Les Paul Recording has been an idea far ahead of its time - but it didn't catch on, did it? I swear I had one of the reissues if there were no piezos since it's the best alternative for a player who loves flexibility and dislikes feedback. However, I would have preferred her with a long-travel 1970's bridge and a stop tailpiece instead of a Bigsby vibrato. And yes, I would have put a TP-6 on her! [biggrin]

I just finished setting Her up. It was painful. The low frets are not easy to dress. I turned up the amp above the usual level, and it surprised me with it's acoustic guitar-like character through the low-Z output.

Brilliant guitar for sure!

Bence

Archived