Gibson Brands Forums

Need Advice On What SG To Buy - Your Expertise Requested

LateStarter

As the title says, I am in need of advice on what model of SG to buy. I've wanted one for a very long time, and am suddenly in a position to be able to buy one at this point. I'm currently essentially a novice guitarist, but will soon have the opportunity to spend 2-3 hours a day, every day, improving my abilities. I would like to buy an SG now, that will serve me well over a long period of time, and as, hopefully, my playing abilities continue to increase. Due to some unusual upcoming constraints, the guitar I buy now will likely be my only guitar for the next decade, so it is very important that I select the right SG to buy for the money. My budget is $1200.00 or less,and I would probably buy used to maximize the value per dollar. I've been considering going with a used SG Standard (must have chrome pickups) but your knowledge, expertise and advice would be immensely appreciated. Thank you in advance.

John

Hello John, welcome to this nice place in the web. [thumbup]

Before you were editing your post, you had linked a Limited Edition SG here offered by AMS, and I found that they mention a wrong bridge pickup. The following link from zZounds is correct I think - I chose the cherry one here:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBSG14A?siid=132552

These are available either beyond the budget you planned or "Blemished"/"Dent and Scratched" which I definitely wouldn't like. Considering pickups and coil split options I think they could be very great, and 24 frets are a nice add, too.

Hello John, welcome to this nice place in the web. [thumbup]

Before you were editing your post, you had linked a Limited Edition SG here offered by AMS, and I found that they mention a wrong bridge pickup. The following link from zZounds is correct I think - I chose the cherry one here:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBSG14A?siid=132552

These are available either beyond the budget you planned or "Blemished"/"Dent and Scratched" which I definitely wouldn't like. Considering pickups and coil split options I think they could be very great, and 24 frets are a nice add, too.

You are correct. I did have that link originally listed. However, I removed it after reading of this extremely negative experience by someone who bought it in the gear page forum:

"The guitar arrived yesterday.

Opened the case, picked it up with high hopes, this has got to be the worst example of a Gibson they have let out of the factory.

The action was higher than a telephone pole, intonation was way off, the bridge pickup is weak even after adjustments.

I have worked on this guitar for hours, it is a lost cause and is being returned.

No where close to the quality of my other SG or Les Paul."

link:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/ordered-a-new-gibson-limited-edition-sg-standard-24-fret-heritage-cherry.1598448/page-2

I have a used 2011 SG standard. got it for $800 on Craigslist. Plays wonderful. Has the classic 57 hum buckers which sound nice. A nice setup/good intonation and you are good to go. Only problem is (and i don't know if its from the guitar specifically or the tech just did a bad job at intonation) but my G string is always a little off. I usually have to tune it a little bit flatter than all the other strings so it sounds nice.

You should be able to grab a used SG standard from ebay or craigslist for around $800-$900 (depending on condition, hardcase, upgraded pickups, ...). There's always several on ebay, just be patient and snipe one :)

You can also ask on the everythingsg.com forum, someone there might sell you one for a good price.

Oh, and save the rest of the money for an amp. I'm really happy with the $200 Bugera V5.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't a new SG Standard right around $1200 street?

I just got a new 2016 SG Standard the week before last, and I have to say, it's outstanding. Very, very resonant and lively feeling. Perfect setup right out of the box. I'm extremely impressed. Definitely a cut above my 2003 Les Paul that it replaced.

I've got three SG's....

A 1991 Standard, a 2013 '50s Tribute, and a 2010 Classic. The latter two have P90 pickups. I never knew how much I loved those until I bought my '50s Tribute.

Some other things you might want to consider is what kind of neck do you prefer? Slim? Chunky? etc., etc. The '50s Tribute has a nice chunky '50s style neck. It's a great guitar.

Anyway, happy hunting!

Isn't a new SG Standard right around $1200 street?

I have a used 2011 SG standard. got it for $800 on Craigslist.

Imho in this range is right and pending condition and year and exact model. They have gone up somewhat the last few years imho.

What should you buy? Hey, its really a personal choice. It really is and you should really go play these and a bunch for feel and tone especially.

Listen when I first started playing as I was telling CB the 61 Les-Paul/SG Custom white was all the rave in my mind. And it IS nice. But after playing many of these I just prefer the "special" neck joint and neck. I prefer the 57-57+ pick-ups and so the process of elimination and customizing starts. Which I concur with this...

Some other things you might want to consider is what kind of neck do you prefer? Slim? Chunky? etc., etc. The '50s Tribute has a nice chunky '50s style neck. It's a great guitar.

I like the neck and joint better and reach and feel. But this here............

this has got to be the worst example of a Gibson they have let out of the factory.

The action was higher than a telephone pole, intonation was way off, the bridge pickup is weak even after adjustments.

I have worked on this guitar for hours, it is a lost cause and is being returned.

May happen too, I don't know I look these over quick so like I was saying the elimination process begins. But in general all of them need to be set-up for intonation, pick-up adjustment/pole and perhaps a action/TR check, frets are usually dirty from production and etc. You know basic going over the whole guitar, once over. They are never intonated so you have to set them up bottom line imho.

But the chrome covered 57/57 imho are also just different animals from the 57/57+ and especially uncovered. The covers make a difference to me on the neck in particular I prefer an uncovered neck, the 57+ in the rear doesn't really matter.

I also think and you can correct me if I'm wrong but the old style neck joint 61, also feels to me like a stretch in the first position. I think it may be if I remember years ago standing them side by side. Its certainly feels that way. Anyway, minor things that come to mind from my own personal view and feel, that to me do make a difference in regular playing.

But another will pick-up a Standard/61 RI style and it will be the cats *** to them. And it is!!! What and ebony board and blocks and diamonds, bound??? [biggrin]

Gibson seemed to shelf the 61 Standard design and bounce back to the joint Im talking about above but with the old style batwing guards. I think its just marketing to get the Standard price up which as you see it has gone up. In my mind I can't see why they can't use the neck joint -50 with a 61 styled SG. [biggrin]

Good thing they make enough models to build your own. [thumbup]

I've been seeing used 61 reissues in the $1000 to $1200 range. Those were selling in the $2700 range before they discontinued them.

Right thats because whatever year it was a couple years ago bought back the 61 Standard styled SG, definitely rounded out the sales. They all go for the same price now for example a 2012 RI last year made or a 2012 Standard? Same with D Trucks model too basically. All around 1-1200.

The 61 did take a hit for the team I guess you can say. [biggrin] But the early ones were different with nickle and ABRs?

Archived