Gibson Brands Forums

Finish

Roach

Hi,

My 2015 studio has a MM manhattan Midnight, (i know i cant spell too lazy to try). I understand this is not the laquer finish i assumed it was?

I am wondering as some guitar finishes over time tend to change color, ex: white goes yellowish, what will this MM color look like 20-30 years down the road?

say i keep it nice, or maybe i store it and die and someone else gets a hold of it from storage years later, will it be the same? Just a random curious thought...

What type of lacquer finish did you assume it was?

I thought that i read they changed the type of lacquer used for this finish and that it is NOT nitrocellulose lacquer. i'll have to look again i guess...

(edit)

The product page says:

Smooth/ Hi Gloss 90 Sheen Lacquer

Top Coat:Hi Gloss Lacquer/ 90 Sheen 7–8 mils

BUT, idk if that is nitrocellulose or not tbh

Yes, that is Nitrocellulose. AFAIK its a three step process* - Grain Filler, Dyes, Lacquer - I'm led to believe that the fading you see in early bursts is down to the dyes that are used, not the Lacquer (though the lacquer can amber over time). Apparently the dyes they use these days do not fade in the way the ones they used in the early years did.

*that is if you don't include the many sanding and buffing stages!

Hello.

Gibson finishes are applied in the following way:

1. Sanding of the body.

(Fitting of the neck - PLEKing).

2. Application of sealer.

(Masking off the fretboard).

3. Application of two coats of paint.

4. With the paint dried, it's scraped off the bindings.

(Silk-screening of the logos.)

5. Touching up paint imperfections.

6. Application of six layers of lacquer. (Guitars placed into a 110 degree oven between layers being sprayed). This takes 9 hours.

7. Scuff-sanding of the orange peel.

8. Application of top coat. Drying time: 3 days.

9. Removal of overspray. Fretboard oiling.

10. Three-step polishing process: smoothing the surface (red compound), shining up the surface (yellow compound), polishing to high gloss (white polish).

Bence.

I would't say that white turns "yellowish." Rather, I'd say that white becomes "less white." Therefore, blue will become "less blue." After a while, a Paul will become "Les Paul."

[lol]

7. Scuff-sanding of the orange peel.

To my senses they omitted this step on most of my Gibson USA instruments with high-gloss finishes. :-k

But hey, what makes a woman a woman may also make a guitar a guitar. ;)

To my senses they omitted this step on most of my Gibson USA instruments with high-gloss finishes. :-k

But hey, what makes a woman a woman may also make a guitar a guitar. ;)

Hello Capmaster.

Yes, that's how it seems on my guitars too.

Bence.

I would't say that white turns "yellowish." ...

I think when about dyes, this is more common on Fenders. What turns yellowish on Gibsons, apparent on those of mine made in 1973 and 1978, is the nitrocellulose itself, clear coat included. Having a natural finish, my 1973 has a clear coat only.

It's funny, but I own two 2011 and 2013 Gibsons featuring Antique Natural finishes. Their hue looks older than that of the old ones, but they are fully transparent. Though they still show no checking, the naturally aged coats have become cloudy, in particular when lighted or viewed under a flat angle.

It's funny, but I own a 2011 and 2013 Gibsons featuring Antique Natural finishes. Their hue looks older than that of the old ones, but they are fully transparent. Though they still show no checking, the naturally aged coats have become cloudy, in particular when lighted or viewed under a flat angle.

My 2011 Classic Custom's top coat faded to amber after like 2 years.

Bence.

Did you store her in her case or under room light conditions?

Always in the case. The room I played it in the most, has halogen mini spotlights.

This is how the fretboard binding looked like when new:

HPIM2971.jpg

This is a relatively fresh picture:

HPIM5977_zpshzswedfu.jpg

Bence.

^^ This looks significant indeed. ^^

The only Gibson of mine with a zinc white binding is my 2013 SG Supra, and it still has been zinc white the day before yesterday.

Anyway, I found out that the automatic colour correction of my digital camera sometimes plays tricks on me. Unfortunately I don't have the option of using camera raw data.

Archived