Gibson Brands Forums

Support issues....

Revgator

I have been trying to get resolution on repairing a Masterbilt DR-500MCE (back-up guitar) since July 2016, now I can not even get a reply from Customer Support - even if I start a new inquiry.

Back in July 2016, I walked into my office and found the bone saddle to my backup guitar (Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE) on the floor. The guitar was on a wall hook (only overnight, usually resides in the case), and the bridge had apparently cracked. Half of the bridge had broken completely off of the guitar, and half remained attached to the guitar body. I found the broken piece of bridge wood inside the sound hole - no broken strings or any other signs of damage (pics available). There are also no signs of dryness, or damage caused by either a lack of, or over-abundance of humidity (I live in Central Florida).

I make my living as a musician. I have been playing for almost 50 years, both recreationally and professionally, and have NEVER seen this occur before - Regardless of guitar build quality. However, things of this nature DO happen on occasion. However, I need this guitar in my arsenal. It has great sonic capabilities and versatility.

Does anyone have a better avenue to travel down towards resolution?

I guess there is always the social media campaign...

Take it to a dealer maybe? I don't know that any guitar company does much more than tell you "Take it to a dealer". I don't know the extent of the Epiphone Authorized Fixit Network or anything, but they should at least have dealers that may be able to get something going on. Sounds odd to say the least.

rct

Thanks for the reply, RCT.

Yep, the last I heard from Gibson/Epiphone service support was: "If the bridge cracked, we will only allow a return to Epiphone for warranty work. Furthermore, it’s likely to be replaced instead of repaired. Please email me the following: Name; Address; Serial number; Problem with the instrument"...

After that exchange -- CRICKETS!!!

Try contacting the dealer where you purchased the guitar from, first locating your receipt if possible. If no luck there, try directly contacting a Gibson/Epiphone authorized serviceman in your area. A list of authorized Gibson/Epiphone service persons can be found someplace on the Gibson website.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the outcome.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Back in July 2016, I walked into my office and found the bone saddle to my backup guitar (Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE) on the floor. The guitar was on a wall hook (only overnight, usually resides in the case), and the bridge had apparently cracked. Half of the bridge had broken completely off of the guitar, and half remained attached to the guitar body. I found the broken piece of bridge wood inside the sound hole - no broken strings or any other signs of damage (pics available). There are also no signs of dryness, or damage caused by either a lack of, or over-abundance of humidity (I live in Central Florida).

I'm just trying to picture what had happened... It'd be lovely to have a photo of the damage caused.

I'm just trying to picture what had happened... It'd be lovely to have a photo of the damage caused.

Yeah, did you have any work done on the saddle or anything? We're assuming you bought the guitar new. As mentioned, take it back where you got it, if that's still convenient. If the saddle slot is too wide, a slanted saddle can put some pretty good stress on the bridge. That's a good trick getting half the bridge to snap off and jump up into the soundhole! msp_blink.gif

I can give you a pretty good idea. I am presently engaged in a repair project on an Epiphone guitar. The guitar that I'm working on is an Epiphone that I bought cheap because it had the EXACT SAME damage. The bridge had broken in half. With the rear portion of the bridge gone from just behind the saddle. And the front portion still firmly attached. What I discovered when I removed the remaining 1/2 of the bridge is that for cosmetic reasons, Epiphone applies the finish on the guitar top 1st. Then glues on the bridge with the finish running UNDER the bridge edges. On average of 1/8" to in places nearly 1/4". And glue does not stick as well to finished wood as it does to bare wood. Which means that the bridge is glued strongly in the center area under the bridge, With a weaker bond around the edges.

So your bridge bond likely broke loose on an edge and remained strongly bonded in the center. Causing a break in the bridge.

BTW, Epiphone will not sell you a replacement bridge. But bridges are pretty much standard sizes and you can buy one that will fit cheaply. BUt it will need to be properly fitted and applied. Not really all that hard to do if you know how. If not, best to have a Pro do it.

i Apologize - i was off on another project & couldn't reply sooner.

Have contacted the dealer I purchased it from, no response yet...

This guitar has never had any work done on it aside from the occasional set up.

I am attaching a pic of the damaged bridge/saddle.

Archived