Gibson Brands Forums

2017 SG STANDARD T

Wild Bill 212

I could not bring myself to purchase the 2016 SG Standard T, as it had the same P-UP's as the 2016 SG Special Faded T (which I did buy and got for half the price of the Standard T) the 490 R & T which are fine P-Up's but the difference between the two guitars tone was ZERO when I plugged them into the same FENDER amp, side by side, in a comparison to see which one to purchase.The '16 SG Standard came with a GIG-BAG too, ICFBI !! WHAT? So I bought the 2016 SG Special Faded and seeing as I spent less than half the amount of $$$ on the Special,$543... I upgraded it w/a Bigbsy B7 some Chrome P-UP covers and its quite the BAD-A$$ li'l axe,and it became my every day player...and I do really love the guitar, BUT MY SG STANDARD was still not in my arsenal.......

BUT, now that the 2017 SG STANDARD T has arrived, THE WAIT IS OVER....and I am ECSTATIC the 2017 SG STANDARD T is the guitar I have waited for:Slim 60's profile Neck,BUILT-FOR-SPEED, LOCKING CHROMED KIDNEY SHAPED (18:1 Ratio)GROVER TUNING MACHINES are the smoothest tuners I have ever touched, '57 Classic & '57 Classic + P-UP's KICK ***, the Angel-Wing pickguard is the style of the Original 1961 SG (yes,I know, Les Paul), and the KILLER TONE on the guitar is JUST AWESOME and the SUSTAIN IS FOR MILES ...........AND HARD SHELL CASE is BACK too.....

So the wait for my SG STANDARD T is finally over and the 2017 SG STANDARD T 'BLACK BEAUTY' that I got, I could not be happier with....it took GIBSON quite some time to get this guitar to market BUT I AM GAD I WAITED..The disastrous MIN-ETUNE & G-FARCE issue's from 2016-thru 2015 were just not hookin me and took me out of the market and last years model was,IMO, A FLOP. BUT GIBSON HAVE HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD WITH THIS 2017 SG STANDARD T.....too bad I can't get a picture of mine into this message, IT IS BAD-A$$, the guitar I have waited so long for finally arrived,I TRIED to upload a picture but no.........

I am happy for you because I bought the same guitar a couple of weeks ago. Mine is vintage cherry and is awesome. This is the first SG that I have owned since learning to play many years ago. I did very briefly have a Trucks model once, but returned it in a matter of days. I expected the same thing may happen with this one, because it was sort of a desperate buy. Long story but I was trying to recoup a loss from an amp purchase that was a mistake on my part. Anyway, I worked a trade deal, and was just hoping the 2017 SG Standard would be a winner. IT IS AND MORE! There is so much talk about QC with Gibson, but mine is an absolutely flawless build. I hope yours is too. The Classic 57's are pure magic in this guitar. I like the guitar so much that I am considering buying another one and dropping a full size P90 in the bridge. Congratulations on your new SG, and hope you connect with it as much as I have mine.

Is it possible to switch out the humbuckers in this 2017 Standard for P90s? Are they interchangeable without having to make any cosmetic modifications, etc?

no, P90s are not interchangeable with humbuckers, they are smaller.

You would want to look for p94s instead, which are single coils like a P90 but are the same size as a standard humbucker.

I am happy for you because I bought the same guitar a couple of weeks ago. Mine is vintage cherry and is awesome. This is the first SG that I have owned since learning to play many years ago. I did very briefly have a Trucks model once, but returned it in a matter of days. I expected the same thing may happen with this one, because it was sort of a desperate buy. Long story but I was trying to recoup a loss from an amp purchase that was a mistake on my part. Anyway, I worked a trade deal, and was just hoping the 2017 SG Standard would be a winner. IT IS AND MORE! There is so much talk about QC with Gibson, but mine is an absolutely flawless build. I hope yours is too. The Classic 57's are pure magic in this guitar. I like the guitar so much that I am considering buying another one and dropping a full size P90 in the bridge. Congratulations on your new SG, and hope you connect with it as much as I have mine.

Thanks,May I ask..... what as wrong with the Trucks ? they had a Lyre Tremolo on them,yes? Looked kinda sharp, pricey but sharp.....With this new SG Standard I am finding that when I am not home I start thinkin about what I am going to play on it the next time I see it, and then I start not caring about what is going on wherever I am and just go home and get to playin it. This SG has got me !! its the fourth one I own and don't like putting it down. The 'BLACK BEAUTY', I got the HP first because I wanted the TITANIUM ZERO FRET adjustable NUT, but it had really bad NECK-DIVE-itis and was unplayable...the locking Bridge was just a flimsy Tune-O-Matic and I ended up sending it back and got the STANDARD Trad.,and I am glad I did, for the kind of CA$H I am spending on a STANDARD, I HAVE TO LOVE THE GUITAR....

This is interesting. I checked out this guitar and the reviews on Musicians Friend and Guitar Center and they are all rave and there were no negatives. Sounds like a great guitar with great features (and a hard case). The neck is a wee bit thinner than the earlier Standards and Classics (and I don't know if that is good or bad or even matters). And now that I found out from you guys that I can switch the HBs out for Phat Cats or P94s without having to modify the guitar, I'm getting very close to the decision that this would be the best SG for me to start with. Now I've got to get to a Guitar Center and try one out.

Alfbell,

so... why not just hunt down one of these and not have to do any mods at all?

SG Standard P90

I have an SG Classic from 05.. it's one of my fav gibsons

Kidblast: Well some reasons are: it would be brand new, have a hard shell case and a warranty; there have been mentions of the earlier Standard P90s having quality problems and this 2017 one is a real winner regarding quality and some design changes (such as: knobs and switch further back, locking tuners, much nicer finish). Plus, since SGs are notorious for weak necks, if I get a used one I won't know if the neck has been knocked about or traumatized, and there could also be the chance that the neck has warped (twist warp, not end to end warp which can be fixed with a truss rod). I was looking at a 2008 SG P90 Classic in excellent condition that has been a home studio guitar (never used for gigging or going out) and hardly used. (I don't know what the difference is between a Classic and a Standard.) He wants $1,100 for it. I've been going back and forth on that one. So many SGs, so many models, so many features and points to consider has really gotten me spinning. I've been a Fender guy all my life (Tele/Strat) and for certain reasons I've decided to switch over to Gibson SGs and LPs (mainly the 12" radius, the shorter scale for easier bending, and the easy reach all the way down to the 22nd fret). Yet, I'm still not sure what would be the best move for me getting my first SG. Still communicating, percolating and sleeping on it... hoping to decide soon.

I don't know what the difference is between a Classic and a Standard

cosmetics mostly I guess. The Classic would have dot inlays, and (probably) the batwing pick gaurd with "bean" tuners.

I hear the concern with neck issues, and it's something you'd just want to be mindful for when looking second hand. A neck that is a bit askew can be corrected with a heat clamp.

here's my 2006.

SGClassic2006.jpg

Thanks,May I ask..... what as wrong with the Trucks ? they had a Lyre Tremolo on them,yes? Looked kinda sharp, pricey but sharp.....With this new SG Standard I am finding that when I am not home I start thinkin about what I am going to play on it the next time I see it, and then I start not caring about what is going on wherever I am and just go home and get to playin it. This SG has got me !! its the fourth one I own and don't like putting it down. The 'BLACK BEAUTY', I got the HP first because I wanted the TITANIUM ZERO FRET adjustable NUT, but it had really bad NECK-DIVE-itis and was unplayable...the locking Bridge was just a flimsy Tune-O-Matic and I ended up sending it back and got the STANDARD Trad.,and I am glad I did, for the kind of CA$H I am spending on a STANDARD, I HAVE TO LOVE THE GUITAR....

I can't remember what I didn't like about the Trucks model. Seems like it might have been an intonation issue. I am totally smitten with my current SG. So much so that I did in fact get another one today as crazy as that seems. Even more so since it is the same color. I was going to get a black one, but they had one in vintage cherry on sale for $999....wasn't going to pass that up. Not sure why the black SG wasn't marked down, but saving $300 bucks was icing on the cake. I have a Railhammer P90 T that will go in the bridge position at some point in the near future. For now I am extremely excited to own two fantastic guitars.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2017 SG Standard sounds like such a killer guitar and looks like it too. I never really cared for the batwing pickguards much so I thought it was a great thing that they are now using the small pickguard on the new Standards. Definitely a lot like a 61 Reissue. I saw that Sam Ash had an exclusive white one with the normal chrome hardware. Guitar Center charges an extra $100.00 for the white Standard but it comes with gold hardware which I hate. The Sam Ash one with the chrome hardware is the same price as the Black and Cherry Standards. I have always wanted a white SG as I think they look awesome. I would buy one right away but I already have a 61 Reissue so it would be too close to the same thing. I just wish mine was white. :rolleyes:

I bought my 2017 in October of 2016 when they released them. I have to say, it has become my favorite. I hardly play my Les Pauls now. Gibson hit a home run with the 2017 SG Standard T.

I could not bring myself to purchase the 2016 SG Standard T, as it had the same P-UP's as the 2016 SG Special Faded T (which I did buy and got for half the price of the Standard T) the 490 R & T which are fine P-Up's but the difference between the two guitars tone was ZERO when I plugged them into the same FENDER amp, side by side, in a comparison to see which one to purchase.The '16 SG Standard came with a GIG-BAG too, ICFBI !! WHAT? So I bought the 2016 SG Special Faded and seeing as I spent less than half the amount of $ on the Special,$543... I upgraded it w/a Bigbsy B7 some Chrome P-UP covers and its quite the BAD-A$ li'l axe,and it became my every day player...and I do really love the guitar, BUT MY SG STANDARD was still not in my arsenal.......

BUT, now that the 2017 SG STANDARD T has arrived, THE WAIT IS OVER....and I am ECSTATIC the 2017 SG STANDARD T is the guitar I have waited for:Slim 60's profile Neck,BUILT-FOR-SPEED, LOCKING CHROMED KIDNEY SHAPED (18:1 Ratio)GROVER TUNING MACHINES are the smoothest tuners I have ever touched, '57 Classic & '57 Classic + P-UP's KICK ***, the Angel-Wing pickguard is the style of the Original 1961 SG (yes,I know, Les Paul), and the KILLER TONE on the guitar is JUST AWESOME and the SUSTAIN IS FOR MILES ...........AND HARD SHELL CASE is BACK too.....

So the wait for my SG STANDARD T is finally over and the 2017 SG STANDARD T 'BLACK BEAUTY' that I got, I could not be happier with....it took GIBSON quite some time to get this guitar to market BUT I AM GAD I WAITED..The disastrous MIN-ETUNE & G-FARCE issue's from 2016-thru 2015 were just not hookin me and took me out of the market and last years model was,IMO, A FLOP. BUT GIBSON HAVE HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD WITH THIS 2017 SG STANDARD T.....too bad I can't get a picture of mine into this message, IT IS BAD-A$, the guitar I have waited so long for finally arrived,I TRIED to upload a picture but no.........

Archived