Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson 2017 SG Standard T

BillJL

Bought a new Gibson 2017 SG Standard T in Heritage Cherry. Gibson hit this one out of the ball park. This is my 2nd SG, my original I bought new back in 1971 but like a fool I sold it. Always wanted another one. Been playing strats all these years so it was time. Yes, this is one fine instrument. Love these 57 classic humbuggers, they have over the top tone, from rich beautiful jazz to screaming highs for rock/metal. Love this rosewood neck, fits me like a glove. The chrome grovers stay in tune, this thing is sweet. Thanks Gibson, its awesome after all these years you still make exceptional guitars!

I'm glad to hear more people are enjoying the 2017 standards. It's absolutely my dream guitar. I think the only downside for me is that the finish is a little easy to scratch. I definitely want the guitar to build character, but it seems a little quick to me haha

I've also noticed that it doesn't neck dive near as bad as my Epiphone did. I don't know if it's something Gibson has changed, or maybe it's just the strap they included. The guitar is super light too.

I also got one a few weeks ago and love it! Anyway, just wondering about others pickup height? How high or low do you set the '57s on yours?

The bridge pickup on mine is kind of high, but not high enough to get in the way of my picking. The neck pickup is pretty low. They seem fine to me.

I've only had mine for 3 weeks and have not made any adjustments yet. On mine the bridge p/u is definitely higher then the neck p/u so I assume that is Gibson's factory default height for the p/u mountings. Everything sounds amazing so for now I'm not going to change anything lol. After playing my strat for so many years, I've had to retrain myself regarding picking positioning with my new SG. I'm playing mostly between the 2 humbuggers and not over the p/u's. When I pick over the bridge p/u due to its higher height, my pick does tend to hit that humbugger a little but not an issue. I also occasionally strum cords between the fretboard and the neck p/u for a sweet jazz tone, but when I'm doing lead blues/rock solo work I'm finding my most natural picking spot is between the 2 p/u's. Obviously my G, B, E strings will wear thin sooner because I'm picking mostly in that area but thats fine. Gibson SG rocks, I love this thing, I'm addicted lol.

• 2 months later...

The 2017 SG STANDARD is, IMO, the best SG STANDARD issued by GIBSON in DECADES. I sold my 1979 SG just so I could get the Black Beauty I got in Feb 2017 for $1299 out-the-door. It was before the $100 Rosewood price increase and now with the 2018 SG Standards going for $1539+ Tax, WOW I am glad I bought mine when I did.

THE 2016 SG Standard was ALMOST a disgrace, for $1199+Tax it did not even come with a HardShell Case...shame on GIBSON for that one, nd had 409 R& T P-UP's as do the Specials. However the 2016 SG Special I got instead was a sweet dealio @ less than half the price of a STANDARD and with the same P-UP's, I modded it a bit w/A Bigsby and Chrome P-UP covers and its almost BAD-*** !!!for another $65 I got an Epi HS Case and painted the Epi logo off of it so now I have two new-ish SG's that are both absolutely ROCKIN' guitars for less than $2K.

Archived