Gibson Brands Forums

Polish on Special SG Faded

DrKlopek

I just finished polishing my brown sg faded and I didn't realize that the clear finish had faded off and now it appears that I have polish in the wood grain. I'm not too concerned since the guitar stills plays and sounds fine. I was wondering if anyone knows if the polish will eventually wear off or if there are any tricks to remove the polish.

It should be out of the grain within two days. But the whole point of the faded finish is that the clear is SUPER thin and will wear off super quick. It's more or less and satin finish but with even less clear. On any satin finished guitar you don't want to put polish on it, you just want to use a small amount of cleaner like dunlop 65, and don't apply pressure when you apply, if you don't you'll end up creating shiny spots which will look ridiculous because there will be no paint on most of the guitar but random buffed out shiny spots.

Yeah, I feel kinda stupid having polished it now, as I knew the clear finish was thin but not as thin as it apparently is. Should I continue to use a microfiber cloth on it or will the polish just fade after a few days without me having to do anything?

I wouldn't worry too much. Satin finishes always end up with some areas that are shiny anyway just through normal playing.

The faded series also turns shiny and slick in worn spots, so shiny is inevitable on these....I've heard others say that the finish rubs completely off as well, so get ready for it to be relic'd soon enough.

my faded started to get some shine from where it rubs against my shirt, so what I did was take an old white t-shirt I believe 100% cotton and just rubbed the guitar to make it more or less match all around it.....then I used some Gibson Pump Polish and rubbed that in and then rubbed the guitar for awhile with just the dry t-shirt and now it's got that old look to it but looks like it had a glossy finish at one time. The guitar feels softer and smoother now too. I did not do this to the neck though, that smoothed out and shined up just by playing and I left the headstock alone so that part still looks/feels rough.

Archived