Gibson Brands Forums

Mods are done!

luvastogie

Got done with my mods yesterday. The only visual difference is cosmetic with the new tuners but WOW, does she ever sound great! And I only burnt myself once with the soldering iron!

GFS Vintage '59 neck and bridge p_ups

Push/Pull tone pots with Sprague Orange Drop caps

Green Key tuners

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

The penny hides the 2nd stamp from the factory

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

Got done with my mods yesterday. The only visual difference is cosmetic with the new tuners but WOW' date=' does she ever sound great! And I only burnt myself once with the soldering iron!

GFS Vintage '59 neck and bridge p_ups

Push/Pull tone pots with Sprague Orange Drop caps

Green Key tuners[/quote']

That is super nice looking, I assume that's a plain top. Clean looking. The love the GFS '59ers, too.

Good job!!!

very cool man!! nice mods!! good work!!

i'm thinking of eventually popping in Seymour Duncan '59n/'59b pair, or maybe '59n/Custom... along with CTS pots and bumblebee caps, and switchcraft jack and switch...

did you swap the covers, or did the GFS's come with covers?

how do you find the output of dual '59s, vs the stock Epi p/ups? (not talking tone, obviously the GFS's will be better, but how hot the '59's are, particularly in the bridge...)

what pot and cap values are you using?

cheers

very cool man!! nice mods!! good work!!

i'm thinking of eventually popping in Seymour Duncan '59n/'59b pair' date=' or maybe '59n/Custom... along with CTS pots and bumblebee caps, and switchcraft jack and switch...

did you swap the covers, or did the GFS's come with covers?

how do you find the output of dual '59s, vs the stock Epi p/ups? (not talking tone, obviously the GFS's will be better, but how hot the '59's are, particularly in the bridge...)

what pot and cap values are you using?

cheers

[/quote']

The GFS came with covers. From guitarfetish.com, you can order them pretty much anyway you want them (zebra, gold, black nickel, etc.). The pots are 500k and .022 for the caps.

As far as the p_up output, they don't seem quite as hot as the stock p_ups. They do however come up with a great growl when cranked on a tube amp but still have some good sparkle.

Looks great Ike!! That's a really fine job. Pretty axe, like the mods too.

According to GFS website 8.5-8.8k for the bridge,8.0-8.2k for the neck.

Not real hot but very warm and tonelicious in my opinion.

And they don't sound muddy when I crank up the distortion,or roll off the tone.

I put the orange drops in my guitar too. I also replaced the pots,but didn't have the option to install push pulls ,at that time the vintage 59 only had a two wire conductor(last fall)

Enjoy that sweet Epi Les Paul !!

thnx luvastogie!

what kind of amp do you use?

i've got a fender hot rod deluxe (40watt tube amp)

peace

Currently, I am primarily running through a little Vox DA5 with a Fender G-Dec as my second choice for some off the wall sounds. Hoping to get an Epi Valve Junior soon for that tube tone.

Archived