Gibson Brands Forums

What Music Theory do you know?

Nah' date=' look at yours and Slash's model, same colour...different flame.[/quote']

The flame ain't great in my avatar. This one shows it better:

6a00e398cde5cd000100f48cedc6d40003-500pi

Anyhoot, Slash's Les Paul is a Vintage Sunburst, same as mine (ish).

I had no idea Tobacco Burst and Vintage Burst were the same. This probably explains why when I googled "Vintage Sunburst" the only hits I got were for Epi's.

Like I said before' date=' Vintage Sunburst is the renamed Tobacco Burst. Thats what I was told anyway. They are the same. Oh its Slash's Custom Shop guitar thats called Tobacco then (the original one, not the new #1)[/quote']

Hmmmm.....

The Epi Slash is called Dark Tobacco Burst. The USA Std Slash is called Vintage Sunburst.

See the pic below.... Can you spot which is which..?

6a00e398cde5cd000100fad68f3dbb0005-500pi

I was told to look for the mythical red tinge in the fade to black at the binding. It's even more obvious in this one, which I'm told is a Tobacco Burst..:

6a00e398cde5cd000100fad68f3e250005-500pi

I've sent an e-mail to Gibbo Europe to see if they can help.... They said that my serial # links to an '07 Vintage Sunburst........ Maybe in these politically correct times you're not allowed to name a guitar after an addictive drug..?! =D>

Well, as I teach in schools and colleges I have to know something about music theory because the kids are taking exams etc and I have to liaise with heads of depts.

Knowing theory doesn't make you a better musician, but it certainly is essential when communicating with others at certain levels and it also allows one to know what they are doing rather than just play it and have no idea what it is, or what it relates to.

For instance if you said to most people here what chord is a main chord you would put the scale of Bm pentatonic against they'd probably say Bm of course. They wouldn't be wrong of course, but knowing some theory allows you to know what other chords Bm pentatonic also fits against. For instance pentatonic scales can aslo be applied to certain degrees of Maj 7th chords. Minor 7th chords and Dominant 7th chords with great effect too. Try Bm pentatonic agains the chord of Gmaj7th for instance and see what sort of sound it gives. The reason it sounds so different is that the functions of the notes in the scale have changed against the chord.

Also try this one.

Play Dmaj7th and play F#m pentatonic against it. Now change the chord to C9 ( Very Stevie Wonder chord change) and against that play the scale of F major. ( Now a mode) Now try the same two chords again and play Bm pentatonic against both. Obviously you have to select target notes in order to make it flow smoothly, but It's amazing how you playing will suddenly sound completely different.

chord.gif?define=x%2Cx%2C0%2C2%2C2%2C2&root=d&chord=Major+7th

chord.gif?define=x%2C3%2C2%2C3%2C3%2C0&root=c&chord=9th

A whole new world can open up to you with regard creativity. For instance what other chords could go with F#m pentatonic??

OK here's a few for a start.. Enough to get on with for now I suspect?? LOL.

A Major

Gb Minor

E Suspended 2nd

A Suspended 2nd

B Suspended 2nd

E Suspended 4th

Gb Suspended 4th

B Suspended 4th

Db Minor Sharp 5th

Db Minor Double Flat 5th

Gb Minor Double Flat 5th

Db Suspended 4th Sharp 5th

Gb Minor 7th

Db Minor 7th Sharp 5th

A 6th

A 6th Add 9th

B 9th Suspended 4th

B 7th Suspended 2nd

Gb 7th Suspended 4th

B 7th Suspended 4th

Db 7th Suspended 4th Sharp 5th

E Suspended 2nd Suspended 4th

B Suspended 2nd Suspended 4th

B 7th Suspended 2nd Suspended 4th

E 5th

Gb 5th

A 5th

B 5th

A Major Add 9th

Of course there are always those who will say.. "Learning any theory cramps your style man".. The simple answer to that is.. man-farting.gif

Musical content and what you can say with what you know is a completely different thing.

As Miles Davis once said.. "I'll play it first and tell you what it is later".

Hmmmm.....

The Epi Slash is called Dark Tobacco Burst. The USA Std Slash is called Vintage Sunburst.

I was told to look for the mythical red tinge in the fade to black at the binding. It's even more obvious in this one' date=' which I'm told is a Tobacco Burst..:

[img']http://a5.vox.com/6a00e398cde5cd000100fad68f3e250005-500pi[/img]

I've sent an e-mail to Gibbo Europe to see if they can help.... They said that my serial # links to an '07 Vintage Sunburst........ Maybe in these politically correct times you're not allowed to name a guitar after an addictive drug..?! =D>

I think your looking into it too much. Its practically the same colour, minor differences.

I think your looking into it too much. Its practically the same colour' date=' minor differences.[/quote']

This is serious.

I'm in the UK.

As of last year, if my guitar is called a "Tobacco Burst" I won't be allowed to play it in an enclosed public space.

So all our gigs will have to be outdoors. Or, I'll have to get another axe.

...(!)

From Gibson Europe today:

"Tobacco Burst has a more brownish tone than Vintage Sunburst, which tends to Red. The second on the other hand is mostly more going into black at the rims of the guitar."

Ok, the English ain't great but I think this establishes they ARE different finishes.

I'm not sure about the red comment - I think he means the 'bacco rather than the Vintage, as there is no red in mine, anywhere, in any light conditions..!

Eels' date=' balloons and a flashlight to go fishing???? Sounds like something Skynyrd would do...[/quote']

No Ken, it's what's called a "Balloon Rig", You tie the Balloon up about 5 feet from the business end to keep the eel out of the weeds, and the flashlight is always good as I don't have very good night vision

Hmmmm.....

The one on the the left is the Gibson USA Slash Sig. and the one on the right is the Epiphone Slash Sig.

You can tell because of the flame.

I know quite a fair bit.

I know the major, natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor, blues, minor pentatonic and major pentatonic scales. I know all the intervals within those scales, I also know how to construct each of those scales.

I can use them scales efficiently all over the neck when soloing too.

I know many different types of chords and how to construct them from the scales.

e.g a major 7 chord = notes 1,3,5,7 of a major scale.

I also know many song writing techniques, such as modulation, inversions, call and response, melodic and rhythmic cells.

• 2 weeks later...

I am learning jazz and this requires a reasonable knowledge of theory.

Comping

Knowing how chords are built and how chords can substitute for each other is essential to playing rhythm guitar in a way that keeps moving and sounds interesting - as opposed to playing a C chord 13 times when you see C13.

Soloing

Prerequisites for good soloing include being able to study the chords in a chart to work out the tone centres and knowing what scales will work over them.

RN

Being a copy guitarist is one thing. Understanding musical theory is another. You need to understand scales, modal relationships, chord construction, etc. Once you learn to recognize that a certain solo is moving through combinations of the root, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and the major/minor variations of those and can hear the changes, you enter the realm of solo creation from a standpoint of mental understanding. Learning scales is a major ste forward in creative soloing. You will make far few "hunting" mistakes during a free form solo if you have a mental picture of the scale on the neck. If you stay within the scale, any note is musically correct and you won't hit a dissonant note.

It's perfectly fine to just learn from tabs and copy other people. You can create your own work from that base. But, to develop your own style, you need to understand the mechanics of music. Just like there are 3 finger guitar players and there are 4 finger guitar players, there are musically trained and non musically trained players. You can learn all this in a few months of reading a theory book and getting it down in your head. Then, you will see your musicality expand. A good book for this is "Total Guitar". available from Barnes and Nobles.

• 4 years later...

I just made something in Excel that helped me apply patterns to the guitar's neck...it's based on where the root is. So, as long as you know where the root is and you play a specific pattern, you're in that key. If you have Excel and want it, send me a pm with your email.

Hey R9,

I was hoping that you might be open to share your Excel database with me. I was particulary intrigued as you noted that it helps you "see patterns" in the chord progressions/changes, which is sort of how I approach playing the bass.

I am trying to work on my guitar playing and thought your file might be a big help. I tried PMing you but the system won't let it go through (says you can't receive any new messages).

Thanks,

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hey R9,

I was hoping that you might be open to share your Excel database with me. I was particulary intrigued as you noted that it helps you "see patterns" in the chord progressions/changes, which is sort of how I approach playing the bass.

I am trying to work on my guitar playing and thought your file might be a big help. I tried PMing you but the system won't let it go through (says you can't receive any new messages).

Thanks,

Steve

Stevis, check this scale/chord generator out. You can select bass etc. Whenever I get stuck (a pretty regular thing) i revert to this. The whole site is actually awesome but the scale/chord generator is the best I have found on the web

• 2 months later...

Just need to know what I should know.

Try 'Play Guitar In 10 Easy Lessons' by Jon Buck. It covers all the basic theory necessary that a guitar player will need to play with other musician's in a band, and better yet be able to understand what's going on. It is useful for the beginner to the advanced member that wants to relearn the basics. (It's as not boring as most of the Hal Leonard or Mel Bay stuff!)

• 1 month later...

I know a fair bit but I tend to not think about it much when playing guitar? I tend to apply it more when writing parts out for other people.

Who knows

It must just be an automatic thing to forget everything once somebody starts playing a 12 bar!

• 3 months later...

I know enough to know I don't know enough.

I know a few scales, major, minor, pentatonic, blues. I know that some notes are better to bend than others. I know of modes, but have not been overly successful in employing them (hence my first statement). I can improvise over chord forms and/or using scales and I know that if I am playing in a scale at one position on the neck that there is a mode that uses the same notes, but sounds better over different chords.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Back in 1958 or so, I went to a reputable teacher to ask if I could take lessons.

"Do you read music"?

"No"

"Come back when you can".

I did.

I haven't regretted it - I can't read TAB - no one ever gave me TAB to read in a professional situation.

My greatest pleasure is arranging a piece for five guitars and recording it on my 16 track.

Tony Rizzi was an inspiration.

DG

Archived