Gibson Brands Forums

How does one disassemble a Grover Tuner?

The Riddler

I am looking to disassemble my grover tuners ( to replace the tuning key for a vintage type ) because the holes in the headstock are too big for the vintage tuners I want to fit. I know the Grover tuners are a die cast housing but by the looks of it, the circular convex cover on the back of the tuner is where I need to get to. Does anyone know how to remove this cover? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

How does one disassemble a Grover Tuner? ... I think the answer here is that you don't. That's not to say that you can't - if you're really determined - but the time spent would be better spent playing the guitar. If I have the problem right: you'd like to change to vintage keys, but the tuners with vintage keys don't fit the holes in the headstock, so you want to change the key and shaft in the Grover bodies that do already fit the holes.

Those domes on the back look to me like what, when I was a lad, were called Walsh washers. A domed disk that is sprung in to a groove to form a seal. Getting them out would be a Hell of a job and would certainly wreck the washer (you'd need to fit new washers). The there's no guarantee the drive shafts would match up, and goodness knows what he tuning would be like if you managed it. I applaud your inquiring mind, but take Ricochet's advise and use conversion bushings so the vintage tuners fit the existing holes, if you cant do what Goldie says and just swap the buttons over. Sometimes the buttons aren't interchangeable either.

Bob

Don't mess with the tuners. If all you want to do is change the buttons, they unscrew from the shaft. You dont want to open the casing or anything like that. It's not necessary.

Grover sells replacement buttons in pearl, wood, etc.

HOWEVER...

I don't believe there is a replacement button that looks like the keystone knob. Keystones are molded around the shaft, not held in place with a screw.

GFS has vintage keystone tuners. A set of their conversion bushings will allow you to put them on an Epi. Or better yet, get the Grover vintage keystones. They're the same size as the regular Grovers. I put a set on my LP with no trouble at all. They look fantastic and work great.

Do a forum search on tuners...that's where I was able to get the information I needed on what tuners to buy.

Grovers are a regular worm and gear assembly just like the open tuners, but they are held together differently. The string post and gear are inserted through the big hole in the back, a round plug covers the hole. The worm is slipped into the housing and it is retained by the button screwed on at the other end:

rotoparts.JPG

Just replace the buttons or use drop in replacement tuners, for goodness' sake.

WOW, thanks for the quick responses and advice guys. I think the right thing to do is to not disassemble the grover tuners after all and buy the vintage conversion bushes ( Thanks for the link Ricochet! ).

I was talking to a guitar tech today also and he recommended to fit a wooden dowel into the tuner holes and drill the center out to what ever size I needed ( making a full length bush ).

Thanks again guys, Glad I have found a supportive and positive community that all share the same goal. To change perspectives, one note at a time.

WOW' date=' thanks for the quick responses and advice guys. I think the right thing to do is to not disassemble the grover tuners after all and buy the vintage conversion bushes ( Thanks for the link Ricochet! ).

I was talking to a guitar tech today also and he recommended to fit a wooden dowel into the tuner holes and drill the center out to what ever size I needed ( making a full length bush ).

Thanks again guys, Glad I have found a supportive and positive community that all share the same goal. To change perspectives, one note at a time.[/quote']

Again, Welcome, glad you came to that decision bro !

May be too late' date=' but what Epi do you have? The Gibson tuners fit on my LP. It was tough, but they fit.

[/quote']

Not too late yet Suicidehummer, I have a LP Standard. Which style of Gibson tuners did you fit? Did you need to drill anymore holes for screws in the back of the head? The tuners I am trying to fit ( like on Slash's LP ) require drilling of 2 x holes in the back of the headstock. I don't like the idea of swiss cheesing my head.

Archived