Gibson Brands Forums

EPIPHONE GENESIS On Ebay $300

msak24cardss

I have a red Standard already. If it's in the "near-mint" condition the guy says and comes with an original Geni case, then it's definitely worth $300, but not much more. Curious to see the actual shots of the guitar and whether it has the typical output jack area cracks, non-original pups, and cheesy tuner replacement job. If it's clean, someone here should grab it. I'm saving up for an ES-347 or something like it....

P1010315.jpg

P1010317.jpg

I would have grabbed it, but I just pulled the trigger on this one a couple days ago. I havent even got it in the mail yet.

Although I only ended up paying $ 235.00 (owner waved shipping cost for Buy It Now) if I spend another $300.00 I'll be sleeping on the couch or in the garage the next few weeks.

Brian those guitars looks great. I've never played one but they look like a great value for a set neck guitar.

BzdWLQBWkKGrHqEOKj0EMFfnVeVBMWIBKKwOw_12.jpg

ALWAYS enjoy seeing brianh's Genesis Collection!

I had been "jonesing" for an EPI Genesis for a couple of years,

but never seemed to be at the right place/right time - LOVE the

Double Cut-Away.

Just checked OP ebay link, no new pics yet....

Sooooooooo, about a year ago I ended up snagging a Jay Turser

JT-200 Pro off ebay for $110. Totally Serious, only $110. Fairly new

seller (160 stars, good feedback), had lots of 'em, I scored.

It's my "po' Man's" Genesis! #-o

Now most sellers are jacking the JT-200 Pro prices up to $180 - $240 for same git.

Gotta admit, for the money I paid, I was VERY, VERY, VERY pleased with

the git. Set Neck with rounded "C" shape, built like a TANK, decent pups.

Tuners are medium quality, but passable for now.

JT-200 Pro:

100_0294.jpg

100_0291.jpg

100_0292.jpg

I have a red Standard already. If it's in the "near-mint" condition the guy says and comes with an original Geni case' date=' then it's definitely worth $300, but not much more. Curious to see the actual shots of the guitar and whether it has the typical output jack area cracks, non-original pups, and cheesy tuner replacement job. If it's clean, someone here should grab it.

[img']http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt163/brianehuff/P1010315.jpg[/img]

P1010317.jpg

Brian,

I was searching for my previous 'What the...' question to you when I found this thread.

Now I know![biggrin]

When did Epi discontinue the Genesis, & what was the 'nature' of the original PUPS?

When did Epi discontinue the Genesis' date=' & what was the 'nature' of the original PUPS?[/quote']

Eggs, the collective knowledge about the Genesis is located here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphone_Genesis

There is a lot of misinformation about Genesis out there, mostly perpeptuated by eBay sellers trying to jack up their value by implying that some or all of them were made in Japan. There is no credible evidence of this whatsoever, they were made in the Pearl factory in Taiwan according to Jim Walker the Director of Marketing for Gibson in that era.

BTW, they are very heavy, usually 10+ lbs., so plan on a wide strap. The are very well-made, set neck, solid mahogany body, hot pickups and if you can find one in good shape, no issues with action, tuning, intonation, wiring or fretwork.

It's my "po' Man's" Genesis! [biggrin]

I don't know Animal, I think that JT's on par with the Genis. I tend to think of the Geni as the po' man's Yamaha SG-3000 or Ibanez Artist...

• 3 months later...

ame='eggmuffins]When did Epi discontinue the Genesis' date=' & what was the 'nature' of the original PUPS?[/quote']

Eggs, the collective knowledge about the Genesis is located here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphone_Genesis

There is a lot of misinformation about Genesis out there, mostly perpeptuated by eBay sellers trying to jack up their value by implying that some or all of them were made in Japan. There is no credible evidence of this whatsoever, they were made in the Pearl factory in Taiwan according to Jim Walker the Director of Marketing for Gibson in that era.

hi am Fabi, "There is no credible evidence of this???"

how you call to this pictures?

rigido+epiphone+genesis+case+.jpg

cableado+epiphone+genesis+.jpg

during 26 years gibson hide the holes on the Les paul bodys , 5 or 10 years ago, the people said "There is no credible evidence of this" and now everybody knows that.the holes are driled since 1982.

today gibson say "all the genesis are made in taiwan" WTF?? why says "japan" on the cases??? why are wired with Mogami cables (the best japanese cables)???

Geni+X+(13).jpg

think about it.

today gibson say "all the genesis are made in taiwan" WTF?? why says "japan" on the cases??? why are wired with Mogami cables (the best japanese cables)???

think about it.

Fabi my good friend,

You are the only person I know who is more passionate and at least as knowledgeable about the Genesis guitar than me. And if anyone besides you would like to believe that Genis were made in Japan, it would be me - I could sell the five I have and buy a Sadowsky or a Benedetto.

But the truth is they were made in the Pearl factory on "The Beautiful Island" of Taiwan, Republic of. China. Jim Walker who designed them says so, Gibson says so, and the History of Epiphone book by Walter Carter says so. In 1979 I was 24 years old, 1 year out of college, and you were probably not even born yet. Cases were and are made all over the world, and cable was and is imported from all over Asia, Europe, and North America. If the wire said Belden or West Penn on it, would the Genesis have been built in the USA? Of course not.

My dear Fabi, forget what others say and enjoy them for what they are - fantastically well-built and underrated guitars.

Peace, Brian

Fabi my good friend,

You are the only person I know who is more passionate and at least as knowledgeable about the Genesis guitar than me. And if anyone besides you would like to believe that Genis were made in Japan, it would be me - I could sell the five I have and buy a Sadowsky or a Benedetto.

But the truth is they were made in the Pearl factory on "The Beautiful Island" of Taiwan, Republic of. China. Jim Walker who designed them says so, Gibson says so, and the History of Epiphone book by Walter Carter says so. In 1979 I was 24 years old, 1 year out of college, and you were probably not even born yet. Cases were and are made all over the world, and cable was and is imported from all over Asia, Europe, and North America. If the wire said Belden or West Penn on it, would the Genesis have been built in the USA? Of course not.

?My dear Fabi, forget what others say and enjoy them for what they are - fantastically well-built and underrated guitars.

Peace, Brian

Hi brian! i think are mores misterys than "certezas" about this , but you kwons in Taiwan in 1979 Taiwan dont produce a single guitar with this quality, and at the same time Japan produce the best Epiphone guitars built out of the usa ever. you are great man & i respect you, you knows, peace! enjoy! you have 5 genis, i see only 3!, upload a few pictures! you have some 79?

Hi brian! i think are mores misterys than "certezas" about this , but you kwons in Taiwan in 1979 Taiwan dont produce a single guitar with this quality, and at the same time Japan produce the best Epiphone guitars built out of the usa ever. you are great man & i respect you, you knows, peace! enjoy! you have 5 genis, i see only 3!, upload a few pictures! you have some 79?

Hi Fabi, I got another Geni a few months ago - it's a black Deluxe with some binding missing on the headstock. All the parts including the pickups are original except for one knob and it does not have the usual control cavity cracks. It also came with a chip-board Epiphone case that appears to have been made for the Genesis. No pictures until I fix the headstock and clean her up. Then I will do another family shot along with the modded one with the Bigsby, the red Standard, and two Customs.

My curiousity to learn more about Epiphone prompted me to track down and acquire these two out-of-print books:

EpiHouseofStathopoulo.jpg

and

EpiTheCompleteHistory.jpg

The second one covers through 1995 and has this on pages 78 - 79:

Page7879.jpg

That's good enough for me, and I see no hard evidence to the contrary, so I'm sticking to the Taiwan provenance.

I do have a theory based on serial numbers that they were actually made well into 1981, and not stopped in 1980 like the lit says. If we assume that the first 2 digits are month, the 3rd is the year, and the last 4 are the unit number, then 0290778 = February 1979, unit no. 778.

These are the six Genis I've held in my hands - my 5 + 1 my buddy has. Only problem is when you line them up chronologically:

0290778 – February 1979, unit no. 778 (778 guitars in t he first two months?)

0390028 – March 1979, unit no. 28 (now down to 28 - that doesn't make sense)

1190125 – November 1979, unit no 125 (back up to 125)

1290123 – December 1979, unit no 123 (a month later down to 123?)

0900375 – September 1980, unit no. 375 (end of Q3 and only 375?)

0810248 – August 1981, unit no. 248 (even less this year, which might make sense since they discontinued them).

Even if you look at them by model name (Standard, Deluxe, Custom) it doesn't quite make sense.

Standard:

0390028 – March 1979, unit no. 28

1190125 – November 1979, unit no 125

Deluxe:

0290778 – February 1979, unit no. 778

1290123 – December 1979, unit no 123

Custom:

0900375 – September 1980, unit no. 375

0810248 – August 1981, unit no. 248

I must be missing some piece of key info, like they counted backwards or used the Mayan calendar in Taiwan... [unsure]

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of Geni's on ebay this morning.

First this Custom in virtually pristine condition except for the small gouge on the front that the seller explains. This is about as clean an example as I've seen, and the seller has dropped the price to BIN $499 from the $750 he was asking for several months. That's a much more realistic and fair price IMO. It includes an original Genesis case, hard to find in this condition. If anyone here can do a finish match and drop fill repair, it would be a pretty good deal. I would buy it but I have two of this model/finish already:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2a0c428dcb

Second, this red Standard model, with a neck/body separation issue. This will need to be properly repaired by a luthier, but not a bad deal at $275 and it comes with a decent, but non-original case. FYI, these guitars were made in the Pearl factory in Taiwan, not Japan as the seller claims, see previous posts above about this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item43a38dc26c

Cheers, Brian

• 3 weeks later...

RedGenineckissue.jpg

This red Geni Standard is back on eBay, reduced to $275 + shipping. It has a body crack at the neck but could be fixed relatively inexpensively if someone here had the tools and know how.

RedGenineckissue2.jpg

Other than that, it's in very clean condition with all original hardware and comes with a case: http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item43a40274af

These can be hard to find unmolested, but I would not buy it if you don't know how to do the repair. I would buy it but I have two project Genis here already....

Oh and and repeat after me, one more time with feeling: Epiphone Genesis Guitars were made in the Pearl factory in Taiwan, not in Japan!

• 4 months later...

Yep, and my German-made VW Passat has some parts made in Japan too.

But VW tells me the car was made in Germany and I tend to believe them.

It would be great if Genesis guitars were made in Japan, but it's just not true.

If wishes were horses

Beggars would ride:

If turnips were watches

I would wear one by my side.

And if ifs and ands were pots and pans,

The tinker would never work!

Yep, and my German-made VW Passat has some parts made in Japan too.

But VW tells me the car was made in Germany and I tend to believe them.

It would be great if Genesis guitars were made in Japan, but it's just not true.

+1

Well put sir.

Archived