Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson sg special faded vs. Fender telecaster blacktop

Siniša

Hello again.

I bought my sg special faded about a month ago after dilemma which guitar to buy ( sg or tele ). Telecaster blacktop is Mexican guitar and also has two hums (that was one of the terms in guitar choice). Few days ago my best friend bought that telecaster so we perform a hard test.

We found sg as a better guitar except when we played a crunch sounds. Telecaster has more treble in sound, like it has a single coil pickup. So, my question is: can I get more "telecaster like" sound with different strings?

Thnks in advance.

Siniša

If you ask me, putting a humie on a tele ruins the whole point of a tele. Teles are know for their great tone with single coils, not humbuckers.

If you want a humbucker guitar, you buy a Gibson. Simple as that.

Its like putting a single coil on a les paul! Well minus P-90's, i dont really consider those single coils though.

Like someone said, if you want a tele you buy a real one.

If you ask me, putting a humie on a tele ruins the whole point of a tele. Teles are know for their great tone with single coils, not humbuckers.

If you want a humbucker guitar, you buy a Gibson. Simple as that.

Its like putting a single coil on a les paul! Well minus P-90's, i dont really consider those single coils though.

Like someoen said, if you want a tele you buy a real one.

Right, that's reason why I did not bought that telecaster. And another reason, I wanted sg :)

Hello again.

I bought my sg special faded about a month ago after dilemma which guitar to buy ( sg or tele ). Telecaster blacktop is Mexican guitar and also has two hums (that was one of the terms in guitar choice). Few days ago my best friend bought that telecaster so we perform a hard test.

We found sg as a better guitar except when we played a crunch sounds. Telecaster has more treble in sound, like it has a single coil pickup. So, my question is: can I get more "telecaster like" sound with different strings?

Thnks in advance.

Siniša

You'll probably never get a Tele sound out of a humbucker equipped SG, even if the Tele in question has humbuckers, at least not by just changing the strings.

You can always try coil-tapping your SG, giving you the humbucker/single-coil tone options.

As strange as it sounds, maybe you can get humbucker equipped Tele tone from a coil-tapped humbucker equipped SG.

It probably wouldn't sound the same though, Telecasters just seem to have that "Twang".

Even if it's Tele "Humbucker Twang".

I have the special faded and a mim telecaster. both completely different sounds and thats why i have them. i wanted the sg not only because its beautiful but it has that great beefier sound to it, the tele is more twang.

My only suggestion would be lighter strings, possibly something like these http://store.daddari...uper_Light_9-42 that have a very bright sound. Other otion is mess around with the tone settings on your amp and guitar. but in all honesty, if you can budget for a tele, buy one

• 2 weeks later...

On your tone issue, there's another thing to consider. Fender and Gibson use different scale lengths. The longer scale length on the Fender gives it a "spankier" sound. I have an SG Standard with the coil taps and a Tele. Even with the coils tapped the two guitars sound different. Different pickups, scale length and wood all make a difference.

Hello again.

Thnks in advance.

Siniša

Take the 490 out of the bridge and replace with a 59' burstbucker pro... i did this on my 2002 special and it sounds great.. a lot of high end cleans.. and still can reach that dirty rock sound too.

Archived