Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing SG standard HB's with P90s?

rednebb

Hello, can you easily replace the Humbuckers on a SG standard with P90s? I'm thinking to just replace the entire Standard pickguard with humbuckers with a Classic pickguard containing P90s (can you get these prewired, by the way?) Is this as easy as it sounds..?

Yes, I've considered the humbucker-sized options you're mentioning, but I've read both positive and negative things about these, plus I like the look of real P-90s better.. But why would routing be necessary, then? The P-90s are overall smaller than humbuckers in size, aren't they?

Ok, thanks, guys, now I understand that this wasn't as easy as I thought/hoped.. Maybe I should just get a Classic instead, then.. Too bad this isn't as easy to find, plus it doesn't have the trapezoid fingerboard inlays that look so good on the standard..

Check out this thread from last month -- it compares the Classic and Standard pickguards as well as how a Standard pg fits over the routs of a Classic. Things don't line up (neither the pickup holes nor the bridge post holes). Can't imagine it would work the other way around, as you're hoping.

If you would have read the entire post, you would see that the standard pickguard he had wasn't correct, and the classic and standard pickguards are the same, exept for the pickup holes. You will have to route out some wood, but It can be done.

If you read that thread someone posted a site with PDF files of the correct pick guards, you can print them out and overlay them on each other and your guitar to see how much work is needed. The humbucker is wider and shorter than a P90 so it may fit without any more routing because of the extra wood that is routed out for the pickup adjusting screws on the humbucker. There is def work to be done to go from a P90 to Humbucker because of the width.

The guitar that Lollar is working on is an Epi SG and I believe he is also using stacked P90 that need routing even on a P90 SG because they are thicker than a normal P90.

If you do go with the P90's and a Classic PG, the biggest problem I see will be with the mounting, to use the PG mounting screws you need to make a base for the P90 and if you go with the normal P90 mounting 2 screws thru the pickup into the guitar body, watch the depth of the holes, last thing you want is to screw or drill a hole thru the bottom of the body. Gibson will not sell you any of there mounting bases.

Checkout this thread on the new faded classic http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/64496-sg-classic-faded/ great price and you may get it even cheaper with a GC or MF coupon

If you read that thread someone posted a site with PDF files of the correct pick guards, you can print them out and overlay them on each other and your guitar to see how much work is needed. The humbucker is wider and shorter than a P90 so it may fit without any more routing because of the extra wood that is routed out for the pickup adjusting screws on the humbucker. There is def work to be done to go from a P90 to Humbucker because of the width.

The guitar that Lollar is working on is an Epi SG and I believe he is also using stacked P90 that need routing even on a P90 SG because they are thicker than a normal P90.

If you do go with the P90's and a Classic PG, the biggest problem I see will be with the mounting, to use the PG mounting screws you need to make a base for the P90 and if you go with the normal P90 mounting 2 screws thru the pickup into the guitar body, watch the depth of the holes, last thing you want is to screw or drill a hole thru the bottom of the body. Gibson will not sell you any of there mounting bases.

Checkout this thread on the new faded classic http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/64496-sg-classic-faded/ great price and you may get it even cheaper with a GC or MF coupon

Thanks for your very thorough answer! But I still think I might try to get me a Classic instead, and if I still want the trapezoid/dish inlays, I just discovered that you can actually buy self-adhesive ones here: www.inlaystickers.com

This might be considered "cheating", and I'm not sure how authentic these will look in real life, but I might give them a try, after all they cost only $6.50 for one set. They will probably not completely cover the Classic's dot inlays on the 12th fret, though..

Hello, can you easily replace the Humbuckers on a SG standard with P90s? I'm thinking to just replace the entire Standard pickguard with humbuckers with a Classic pickguard containing P90s (can you get these prewired, by the way?) Is this as easy as it sounds..?

P-94s are one option. They are larger P-90s that are size matched to humbuckers. I put a P-94R in my SG. Dropped it right in with no routing.

l_c8cb9db5518b42dda4d323b41be4f899.jpg

l_66b10331d16040a38d8e1aff96aa1b9f.jpg

Ok, , cool! But how does the P94 sound? I've heard various comments on these, some say they don't actually sound like real P90s..? And how does your combination with the P94 and the humbucker work when you're using both pickups together, and how is the balance between the pickups when used separately?

Ok, , cool! But how does the P94 sound? I've heard various comments on these, some say they don't actually sound like real P90s..? And how does your combination with the P94 and the humbucker work when you're using both pickups together, and how is the balance between the pickups when used separately?

I like it a lot in the neck position. Kind of reminds me more of a neck pickup on a Jazzmaster. As far as how they compare to regular P-90s, I am not sure. I know Nick Valensi of The Strokes has P-94s in his Epiphone Riviera and they sound pretty tasty.

As far as the balance, it's not. The P-94 is a lot louder than the 57+ I have in the bridge so I roll the volume down some. Not sure if I wired it out of phase because it sounds thin when I have the toggle switch in the middle position (It's on my list of things to fix once I get a new soldering iron).

Archived