Gibson Brands Forums

Fret Buzz on Les Paul Studio

rjames1973

All,

I purchased a new Gibson Les Paul Studio back in June. Since then, I have had the guitar set up by a local guitar luthier and am currently using .10-.46 GHS Boomers. For some reason, there is constant fret buzz on the low E string. It is an issue with any chords or notes I play up and down the neck. What could be causing the fret buzz on this guitar after I had it set up? None of the other strings have this issue. Does the truss rod need to be re-adjusted again since it is getting into winter? Should I invest in a new nut? Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Maybe it's time for new strings? First, check the string, sometimes strings can develop problems as they age which lead to buzzing.

Seasonal changes in temp and humidity can cause some changes in the action and the neck relief. It's always dicey to instruct in a situation where you don't know how much knowledge/experience the person has. If you know what these terms mean (action and the neck relief), then have a look and see where they're at. If not, take it in for a check and adjustment. If you want to try DIY, raise the bridge on a bass side a 1/4 turn or so and see if that reduces the buzz - you can repeat a couple of times. If it takes more than a couple of full turns to reduce the buzz, take the guitar in for a check and adjustment.

I'd try the following (one at a time) before adjusting the truss rod:

1) Replace the string in question or all of them if they are old

2) Use some pencil lead inside the nut groove for that string

3) Hold the guitar up and inspect how much the neck is bowed

3) Raise that side of the bridge very slightly

BigKahune,

I've been playing the guitar for 20 years, but have to admit that I am not an expert when it comes to all of the technical details. I know just enough to be dangerous, as they say. I tend to leave the technical details to my local luthier. As for the temperature and humidity changes, it could be that I just need to have the truss rod adjusted. I do leave the guitar out on a guitar rack with my other guitars daily, and it is getting quite cold outside now. I try to keep my apartment at a comfortable temperature when I'm at home, but it can get cold when I turn down the thermostat before I go to work. In any case, I will have my luthier check it out and see what he recommends. Thanks for your feedback!

Maybe it's time for new strings? First, check the string, sometimes strings can develop problems as they age which lead to buzzing.

Seasonal changes in temp and humidity can cause some changes in the action and the neck relief. It's always dicey to instruct in a situation where you don't know how much knowledge/experience the person has. If you know what these terms mean (action and the neck relief), then have a look and see where they're at. If not, take it in for a check and adjustment. If you want to try DIY, raise the bridge on a bass side a 1/4 turn or so and see if that reduces the buzz - you can repeat a couple of times. If it takes more than a couple of full turns to reduce the buzz, take the guitar in for a check and adjustment.

It's funny that you mentioned this. I too noticed this on my 92 LP and CS 356 guitars were experiencing "fret buzz" coming from the 1st and second frets on the D and G strings. In fact this has been going on since the dry summer months.

I finally decided to adjust the tension rod, counter-clockwise to ease back the tension a full turn. It fixed the problem quite nicely without adjusting the bridge height or changing the intonation.

Beware! Making tension rod adjustments is serious business for guitars and I would not recommend doing this if you are not comfortable.

Jazz,

[thumbup]

I have a feeling that the truss rod just needs to be adjusted. I never make any adjustments to the truss rods on any of my guitars, so I'll leave this to my local guitar tech. I have been leaving my guitars out on a multi-guitar rack in my guest room, which could be causing the issue. It's getting cold outside now, and I turn the temperature down in my apartment when I go to work in the morning. The temperature might be the culprit in this case.

Make sure it's really fret buzz. Sometimes the Low E can buzz if the string is touching the back of the bridge as it slopes down toward the stop bar. Make sure the screws on the pickups are low enough so they don't touch the string.

Don't adjust the trussrod unless it needs it. Check the relief on the neck first.

[thumbup]

Thanks, badbluesplayer. I was thinking it could have something to do with the bridge as well. I'll get to the bottom of this, whatever the issue might be. [confused]

Make sure it's really fret buzz. Sometimes the Low E can buzz if the string is touching the back of the bridge as it slopes down toward the stop bar. Make sure the screws on the pickups are low enough so they don't touch the string.

Don't adjust the trussrod unless it needs it. Check the relief on the neck first.

[thumbup]

Archived