• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"New" ES 175 VOS 1959

#1 User is offline   anothersixstringer 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

This is a dream come true...! Gibson Cuatom Shop is on fire! If this reissue is as good as my 330 VOS, I will have to sell a kidney...

http://www.peachguit...ntage-burst.htm

#2 User is offline   Pepper 

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

[love]

#3 User is offline   Elmer 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

mine is an ES175 but with 2 pick ups...why did they change it...I love it more with this 1 pick up and it is not so heavy blink blink...I would exchange this one to mine DIRECTLY (only for the looks)
Posted Image

What is that VOS meaning (I know I am a greenie what Gibson knowledge concerns)
The bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar...

#4 User is offline   Dave Lang 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Does anyone know more about the single pickup version? I can't find it on the Gibson website.

Also, since it's "custom" can you specify things like inlay style etc.? Are they built to order?

It would be great to have one that's simple like an ES-125 but with the cutaway and a single pickup.

#5 User is offline   StijnV 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Customer Service Team

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:22 AM

VOS stands for Vintage Original Spec, which means that the guitar was made exactly according to the original specs from back in 1959; you can find attached a copy of the catalog from 1959.
The single pickup version was only available in vintage sunburst.

Some VOS appointments:

A new revolutionary process for fret dress and nut cut that helps our luthiers deliver a superior, player noticeable difference right out of the case.

Hand-rolled binding, with frets extending out slightly further for increased playing surface. This is a process we utilized for the Jimmy Page Custom Authentic—which many players have said is one of the most comfortable, playable guitars they have ever experienced!

New, hand-shaped nut for comfort and vintage authenticity

New, proprietary finishing process which, while still utilizing 100% nitro-cellulose lacquer, results in an gently aged patina that faithfully recreates the look of a well-cared for classic

New hardware aging process that delivers better results

Ensuring our neck profiles accurately reflect the three key eras in Gibson’s electric guitar history: early 1950s, 1959 and 1960.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 1959_13.jpg

#6 User is offline   Elmer 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

I thought that VOS was reissued...then what is my ES175 reisued...what is the reissued means then? Is mine a copy? A 2nd line product? I am confused now.
The bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar...

#7 User is offline   Dave Lang 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for the reply, StijnV!

I still don't understand how I'd go about actually buying one tho...

#8 User is offline   jimmyl51 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

Your ES-175 is simply the ES-175 that is/was made by Gibson at the time they made it. I really respect Gibson regarding all of these reissues, but to be honest alot of guys out there are going to drive themselves nuts in trying to acquire 'THE' Gibson Es-175 or L5 or you get the picture...... Personally I believe that all of this VOS stuff is getting to be a bit crazy.......A guitar should be NEW when you get it and let time age it NOT somebody in the Gibson Plant that believes that they know what the guitar should have looked like or played like in 1959. I guess what I am trying to say is 'When is this aging thing' going to quiet down? Frankly it is getting kind of nuts IMHO. The ES-175 that is shown is in Great Britain. WHY is it not available HERE in the USA? Take a look at the Gibson Store in Shanghai,China on their website...........ALL first line Gibson guitars quite a few of which are really difficult to get here in the USA. Basically it appears that Gibson is really aiming for the countries that have the big bucks these days.......NOT the good ole USA IMHO. Sorry for my rant but this VOS stuff is starting to get really old IMHO. jim in Maine

#9 User is offline   Dave Lang 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hey Jimmy - no argument here - I don't want a pre-aged instrument - my guitar usually gets beat up fast enough just from my carelessness.

But I would like a guitar similar to my ES-125 that has a cutaway and a single pickup. That's what the VOS ES-175 is - kind of - would prefer dot inlays but whatever.

I did find them listed on the Long & McQuade website for $4450 (I'm in Canada) tho I've never seen on in a store and they don't have any in stock.

http://www.long-mcqu...products/16707/

For that much money I could get an old one from eBay that would have the tailpiece I prefer (solid vs. zig zag) and a P-90 vs. the big silver humbucker.

I know there are other manufacturers making new guitars but I really like the conservative styling of the Gibson ES guitars. The other manufacturers always seem to want to put a big flashy headstock and gaudy logo on everything. Maybe it's so they don't get sued.

My dream guitar would be that single pickup ES-175 with a P-90, solid tailpiece & dot inlays - new or used - I don't care! Wish someone would make it!

This is pretty close tho.....itchy eBay fingers!

http://www.ebay.com/...ht_13540wt_1345

#10 User is offline   jimmyl51 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

Dave,

This guy wants $3250 for a 1979 ES-175CC that is a second!? When I lived in Chicago in the late 1970's my claim to fame is that I bought a ES-175CC in natural that was at the NAMM show that year. Got it at 'D J's Rock and roll store in Cicero,Illinois'. In short that guitar was probably the worse 175 that I ever owned. Long gone. A true testament to the lousy quality of Gibson during the 1970's.........Don't get me wrong. This 175 that is for sale in Great Britain looks to be a really nice 175. Of course to buy it and then have it shipped to the USA will end up costing somebody here a small fortune ;>). Frankly who knows what will end up with the economy the way that it is. Gibson might end up making some really superb instruments. Gibson may end up making some really crappy guitars also the way our economy is going. What will probably end up happening is that the really cool instruments will end up selling in: China (mainland),Saudi Arabia,Kuwait and certain countries in Europe.. jim

#11 User is offline   vincentw 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

the reissue 175 will have historically accurate solid sides as well as many more historically accurate features.

#12 User is offline   AlanC 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:08 AM

Love the guitar. Awesome. Custom shop stuff is really good. Worth the extra $'s.
AlanC.

#13 User is offline   BeilenGuitars 

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Does anyone know when these will be available on the street? I have visited a local Guitar Center and heard nothing from them. I recently visited the Custom Shop in Memphis and those working in the store that day had no idea either. I would love some answers!

#14 User is offline   Sunburst PB 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

View PostBeilenGuitars, on 01 June 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

Does anyone know when these will be available on the street? I have visited a local Guitar Center and heard nothing from them. I recently visited the Custom Shop in Memphis and those working in the store that day had no idea either. I would love some answers!

If I'm not mistaken, that would be built by the Nashville Custom Shop as they do all the Historics. At least I would hope that they build them instead of Memphis.
2011 Gibson Custom Shop ES-355
2002 Blueridge BR-183
1999 Fender Hot Rodded Precision Bass
1998 Fender Telecaster
2013 Epiphone DR-212
2012 Ohana CK-35-SN Soprano Ukulele

2000 Behringer BXL450 Bass Combo
1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI

#15 User is offline   BeilenGuitars 

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostSunburst PB, on 05 June 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

If I'm not mistaken, that would be built by the Nashville Custom Shop as they do all the Historics. At least I would hope that they build them instead of Memphis.

They are made in the Memphis factory. I was driving through last week on my way to Nashville, and decided to stop in Memphis to see the factory and show room. It's a very nice facility and the guitars they are putting out now are quite superior to the last few years. The VOS treatments are amazing. I played the " '59 ES-335" with the VOS and it was very impressive. The feel of the neck and body was astonishing, though the tension was set higher than I expected. I'm on the market for this new '59 VOS ES-175 though, even without having played one. I was that impressed by the 335.

#16 User is offline   Nizzajetset 

• LocationMoscow, Vienna

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

Does someone Know, if the Neck Dimensions of the VOS 175 is the same as from the Standard/New 175?
Gibson ES 135 LE
Ibanez GB 10
Fender Strat
Saga Cigano GJ10
Yamaha NTX
Fender Pro Reverb

#17 User is offline   vincentw 

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

View PostBeilenGuitars, on 06 June 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

They are made in the Memphis factory. I was driving through last week on my way to Nashville, and decided to stop in Memphis to see the factory and show room. It's a very nice facility and the guitars they are putting out now are quite superior to the last few years. The VOS treatments are amazing. I played the " '59 ES-335" with the VOS and it was very impressive. The feel of the neck and body was astonishing, though the tension was set higher than I expected. I'm on the market for this new '59 VOS ES-175 though, even without having played one. I was that impressed by the 335.

True.

#18 User is offline   Jabberwocky 

• Advanced Member

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

What are the differences between the 1959 ES-175 VOS http://davesguitar.c...959-es-175-vos/ and the Custom Shop ES-175SP like this one: http://route66classi....com/es175.html ?

#19 User is offline   Ob Com 

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostNizzajetset, on 25 June 2012 - 08:47 AM, said:

Does someone Know, if the Neck Dimensions of the VOS 175 is the same as from the Standard/New 175?

the vos has a 59 neck, which is in my experience a bit chunkier than most current "standard" 175s

#20 User is offline   ES345 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

The one that Joe is playing has the wooden bridge, and a different tail piece than the web site offering the guitar. I think the one on Dave's web site has the wooden bridge, i can't remember the tailpiece. I think the wooden bridge is naturally warmer, but the adjustable bridge is easier for intonation and equing the amp etc. would probably result in the same tone.
peace

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users