Gibson Brands Forums

New ES-150D review

gnappi

I ALWAYS wanted an ES-150, but either couldn't afford one that was in decent shape, or the ones I could afford were beat up. Well I received my "new" ES-150D today. It was an internet sale and despite the seller not being forthcoming on some condition issues I bought it anyway, price being the main motivator there.

Well after waiting for what seemed like a year, UPS "ground" delivered it. The guitar was absolutely incredibly well packed and it took me over 10 minutes to cut through all the bubble wrap.

When I opened the case (not the original) I nearly dropped dead, it's in as good a condition after nearly 40 years than some I have owned and taken care of in only the last 12 years!!! and it smells EXACTLY like an antique shop!

GADS!!! What luck!!!

Acoustically it's the best I own (have 20 other archtops) and believe me, that says a lot. Electrically its neck pup is one of the best I've heard, however the bridge pup is weak, no biggie I never use one alone anyway, together with the neck pup it does exactly what I want it to... meaning I always crank the bridge pup to ~8 when using the two pups, I can now just leave them both at 10. Tomorrow I'm going to wake up and check the case to see that it's still there!

So one question I have, dating... its serial number is:9048xx

I know Gibson had some odd serial numbers and since this one was only made for 5 or 6 years I thought someone here could tell me? I tried to attach a pic, but one never knows if it works.

Well the attach didn't seem to wrk so here's a link if anyone is interested:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/542677_532902353397919_1042380316_n.jpg

Nice looking guitar glad the internet sale worked out. Might want to check the pickup height of the bridge pup - it really shouldn't be that much weaker than the bridge pickup - maybe just too far away - and also noticed as did another poster that the pickups seem to be backwards with both having pole pieces toward the center of the guitar? I would turn them around and then make sure heights are correct. Enjoy it.

Nice looking guitar glad the internet sale worked out. Might want to check the pickup height of the bridge pup - it really shouldn't be that much weaker than the bridge pickup - maybe just too far away - and also noticed as did another poster that the pickups seem to be backwards with both having pole pieces toward the center of the guitar? I would turn them around and then make sure heights are correct. Enjoy it.

Yeah, In raised the bridge pup, and in the past diddled with reversing the orientation of the pups like this one was figuring to get less bass from the neck pup and more bass from the bridge... it didn't matter. However the strings on it are brand new and when I change them I plan on reversing the neck pup to where it belongs and I'll probably leave the bridge pup as it is, "just in case" there's a chance of a mellower less biting tone. The pup sounds great, just a bit lower than all my other HB equipped guitars as compared to the neck pup.

Oh, I have checked in the morning and it was still there! ;-)

Congratulations, it looks like a lovely guitar - I'd really love to find one. If I could afford it!

But surely if you own 20 archtops and semis (your list includes a nice Heritage!!!), can this be 'the best' acoustically?

Congratulations, it looks like a lovely guitar - I'd really love to find one. If I could afford it!

But surely if you own 20 archtops and semis (your list includes a nice Heritage!!!), can this be 'the best' acoustically?

Sometimes you get lucky and yes this is as voluminous as an inexpensive acoustic, and the 575 and 175 are dull thuds acoustically compared to this one. :-)

I'm totally amazed that this isn't one of the most sought after guitars around. A friend came over last night who has a general ambivalence or maybe even disdain for archtops and you should have seen the grin on his face when he played it.

• 2 years later...

Congratulations Gary! I am also interested in buying a gibson es 150, year 1972. I am worried about one thing and that is the size and shape of the neck. The gibson archtops es 175 have a rep for having a baseball bat size neck with a full D shape and fretboard width that is way big compared to other guitars. I currently have a Rickenbacker 330 that is just perfect for me. What are your impressions of the neck size of your es 150 compared to other guitars you have had. Thank you! Alex

Congratulations Gary! I am also interested in buying a gibson es 150, year 1972. I am worried about one thing and that is the size and shape of the neck. The gibson archtops es 175 have a rep for having a baseball bat size neck with a full D shape and fretboard width that is way big compared to other guitars. I currently have a Rickenbacker 330 that is just perfect for me. What are your impressions of the neck size of your es 150 compared to other guitars you have had. Thank you! Alex

Hi Alex,

Where did you get the date of the one UR looking at? If you get it, post the SN for us?

Well, for sure it's not a 175 neck, or any other Gibson I own or have owned its thinner and less wide (by ~.090") in the nut. I'm not one to fuss about the neck dimensions or scale length and not the best source of info but suffice it to say I love the guitar and it gets played often.

Oh, according to the bluebook 9048xx is 1968, I never wrote Gibson about it, don't care either way.

How can you love archtops and not have have a Heritage 575? :-) But... My Tal Farlow acoustically has it over everything else I own, but the 150 is a decent second and is VERY lively in the body and has a beautiful acoustic influence on the sound.

Prices are starting to go nutso on 150's, get one B4 you can't!

Hi Alex,

Where did you get the date of the one UR looking at? If you get it, post the SN for us?

Well, for sure it's not a 175 neck, or any other Gibson I own or have owned its thinner and less wide (by ~.090") in the nut. I'm not one to fuss about the neck dimensions or scale length and not the best source of info but suffice it to say I love the guitar and it gets played often.

Oh, according to the bluebook 9048xx is 1968, I never wrote Gibson about it, don't care either way.

This "bluebook" is in error, and not for the first time. 9048XX dates to 1970; and Gibson didn't offer the ES-150D until 1969.

This "bluebook" is in error, and not for the first time. 9048XX dates to 1970; and Gibson didn't offer the ES-150D until 1969.

OK, so you get a gold star for being right, I don't give a crap, I'm happy you do.

OK, so you get a gold star for being right, I don't give a crap, I'm happy you do.

Wow, seriously? I don't give a crap about you or the guitar. You asked for help dating it, asshole. If you're too stupid to know how to use the internet (or a decent reference book) to date a Gibson guitar, and you're too much of a **** to accept a little help graciously, maybe just shut the f up?

Wow, seriously? I don't give a crap about you or the guitar. You asked for help dating it, asshole. If you're too stupid to know how to use the internet (or a decent reference book) to date a Gibson guitar, and you're too much of a **** to accept a little help graciously, maybe just shut the f up?

Grow up.

If he's in error, at least he made some money doing it, not like some anon point and shoot who just flies off the handle.

Your comment did not help, you cited nothing in the way of fact or your source of info, so you're another web wanna be expert without facts.

In addition to being rude, you're not very bright. The info I gave you is easily attainable online, even if you don't have access to any of the reference books that have been available for many years. You could even contact someone like George Gruhn if you wanted to learn something, but I guess it's more entertaining to you to act like there's an unsolvable mystery here that you "don't give a crap" about.

In addition to being rude, you're not very bright. The info I gave you is easily attainable online, even if you don't have access to any of the reference books that have been available for many years. You could even contact someone like George Gruhn if you wanted to learn something, but I guess it's more entertaining to you to act like there's an unsolvable mystery here that you "don't give a crap" about.

Grow up, more heat than light.Dude, I didn't want to get in a pissing contest with you, cool down, take some deep breaths.

Always interesting to see how ltrolls back off when you stand up to them. If you want light rather than heat, perhaps consider an attitude adjustment. Meanwhile, I think I've pointed you in the direction you need to go, and when I use the term "reference books", I'm not talking about price guides. Cheers.

Always interesting to see how ltrolls back off when you stand up to them. If you want light rather than heat, perhaps consider an attitude adjustment. Meanwhile, I think I've pointed you in the direction you need to go, and when I use the term "reference books", I'm not talking about price guides. Cheers.

I'm not a troll, I didn't back off and you're a crude fool who uses the anonymity of the internet to spout your foolishness. RUDE? guy you re-define the word.Can you spell IGNORE?

Archived