Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Junior

SketchyEtchy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Brian' date='

How does your new TV Yellow Special SC compare to those two in body thickness?

Alan

[/quote']

Alan,

Using a mechanical caliper, the TV Yellow and the '57 Jr. RI are both 1-7/8" thick. (a little thicker than a standard 1.75" Tele.)

The bolt neck Jr. is 1-5/8" thick.

Alan' date='

Using a mechanical caliper, the TV Yellow and the '57 Jr. RI are both 1-7/8" thick. (a little thicker than a standard 1.75" Tele.)

The bolt neck Jr. is 1-5/8" thick.[/quote']

Out of curiosity, why do you keep calling your new one a Junior? It's a setneck Special, no?

Sheila

From Gibson:

The aim now was to create an instrument for every market segment' date=' and the Les Paul Special single cutaway model—introduced by Gibson in late 1955—[b']was positioned as an intermediate model between the $99.50 Les Paul Junior and the $235 Les Paul goldtop model. [/b]Priced at $169.50, this first edition of the Les Paul Special was a single cutaway model fitted with two of Gibson’s P-90 singlecoil pickups, a wraparound bridge/tailpiece, upgraded bound fingerboard, and inlaid mother of pearl Gibson headstock logo. Like the Les Paul Junior, the Special sported the visually attractive limed mahogany, or TV Yellow, finish on a thick-bodied, single cutaway design. With few exceptions—namely the occasional maple body or natural and cherry red finishes—the Les Paul Special remained a single cutaway, TV Yellow model until its redesign in 1958.

This is why I guess I get confused.

Sheila

It seems whoever writes the marketing copy for Gibby is not sure whether Specials are Juniors, but if you look at them side-by-side, they're both flat top 1-7/8" thick slab bodies with the same overall dimensions and shape, they have the same necks and scale length, and they both have P90 pickups.

The only differences are 2 pickups and 4 pots, a selector switch, and a 2-piece TOM bridge on the Special. I still think of it as a Junior, because even an LP Studio has an "arch top" body.

It seems whoever writes the marketing copy for Gibby is not sure whether Specials are Juniors' date=' but if you look at them side-by-side, they're both flat top 1-7/8" thick slab bodies with the same overall dimensions and shape, they have the same necks and scale length, and they both have P90 pickups.

The only differences are 2 pickups and 4 pots, a selector switch, and a 2-piece TOM bridge on the Special. I still think of it as a Junior, because even an LP Studio has an "arch top" body.[/quote']

Maybe, the Special was supposed to be a two p'up version of the Junior, and the name 'Special' was just carried forward. I can live with that. But then again, the Juniors are Junior Special (?). Go figure.

Sheila

...if you look at them side-by-side' date=' they're both flat top 1-7/8" thick slab bodies with the same overall dimensions and shape, they have the same necks and scale length, and they both have P90 pickups. [/quote']

I should add that the newer bolt-on Jrs. don't really qualify as Juniors until you replace that awful MIC humbucker with a P90. Some might argue that they all need Kluson-style tulip head tuners to qualify, or that only a US-made Gibson is really a Junior.

I'd agree if I could afford to be that picky....

yea it comes with that, but i wanna make mine look "floyd" billie joes guitar. Just love it, last year saw them live and was like a meter away from him and his lp jr, also i want the tv yellow but it will have to be the gibson if i get enough, because epi makes banana yellow lol

oh thats what you have brian, i thought it was a Junior?

got bad news, wont be able to play guitar for 2weeks, poured a kettle on my hand and have really bad burns :( so playing this junior will have to wait :-({|= on the + cant do any college work have to have a scribe to do it for me [crying]

yea but ive allready got a set of the ones i posted

So? [crying] Saying you already have knobs is kinda like saying you already have strings!

Some guys here buy guitars that have pick-ups in them, and then they go out and buy new ones to install! Then they change out the tuners, then the pots then the wires and capacitors . . . Go figure.:-({|=

Hang here long enough and you'll be looking for ways to spend your hard earned monies on something new for your guitar!!!

Sheila

So? [crying] Saying you already have knobs is kinda like saying you already have strings!

Some guys here buy guitars that have pick-ups in them' date=' and then they go out and buy new ones to install! Then they change out the tuners, then the pots then the wires and capacitors . . . Go figure.:-({|=

Hang here long enough and you'll be looking for ways to spend your hard earned monies on something new for your guitar!!!

Sheila[/quote']

you make a good point.

Archived