Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Stopbar Bushing size

cosmitron

I just received Gotoh replacement parts for a BFG stripped down to the bone I've bought (desperately hunting for one). The seller pulled off the stock gibson stop bar bushings and to my bad surprise, the Gotoh bushings (11.3mm/.444") don't match the bfg routings. So my question is: Are the Gibson stop bar bushings larger than .444"? I've googled about that and didn't find my answer. Hopefully someone here as some experience about it. :)

Thanks for your priceless help, people.

It would be an easy fix if you can't find larger diameter anchor bushings - drill to next dowel size and glue in a dowel, redrill for the proper size. The collar on the bushing will probably hide the seam.

If you didn't want to try it, a shop/luthier might be able to get the right size anchor bushing, or glue in a dowel, the price should be relatively inexpensive.

Welp, there are some retailers who sell Gibson branded stop sets, as well as anchor bushings and stud sets. Hopefully that will solve your problem.

I'd like to hear about your progress in resolving this issue, as will as about your progress on your guitar project.

Hope you post back.

Welp, there are some retailers who sell Gibson branded stop sets, as well as anchor bushings and stud sets. Hopefully that will solve your problem.

I'd like to hear about your progress in resolving this issue, as will as about your progress on your guitar project.

Hope you post back.

Thanks for your concern BigKahune!

I might buy a tonepros set in cosmo black. As far as I know, there's no other brand that produce a Nashville TOM in that finish (except gotoh which is actually making Tonepros Products.). And it seems that Tonepros locking Stopbar uses the 1/2" anchor bushings.

Or I might look for the 1/2" bushing only, but I can't find any yet. So any help is always very seriously appreciated. :)

I believe that the description of the turned part of the stud - 5/16" (.3125 inch) diameter and thread size 24 (24 turns per inch)

It's not the measurement of the anchor bushing's Outside Diameter (OD) - which, unfortunately, seems to be hard to obtain.

You might give Gibson C/S a call and ask about the stop's anchor bushing OD on factory guitars and their Gibson branded replacement parts (link below) - 1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766) - service@gibson.com

Gibson branded Stop (black) - http://www.allparts.com/Gibson-Black-Chrome-Stop-Tailpiece-p/pttp-050.htm

If you order the Tone Pros, do it by phone and see if you can get them to give you the anchor bushing's Outside Diameter (OD) measurement.

The tonepros have a 7/16" anchors.

Desperate level 2

Just found a luthier around who got the 1/2" inserts.

Hurray they fit the body perfectly.

Sadly the aftermarket studs don't fit the Gibson anchors .

Desperate level 3.

Besides the guitar is full built, pickups and electronics are soldered.

The Barely Finished Guitar never beard its name so right.

[bored]

My workshop is now completely upside down, but I've found an old pair of nickel genuine accurate Gibson studs in Nickel.

Whatever.

The BFG is finished. :)

It sounds really bright. Can't say if I'll dig it for a long period but now I'm so happy the BFG is complete, that I dig its sound.

Photos and sound to come. ;)

Here we go!

The CBFG (complete barely finish guitar):

IMG_1513.JPG_effected.jpg

IMG_1517.JPG_effected.jpg

IMG_1529.JPG_effected.jpg

IMG_1530.JPG_effected.jpg

IMG_1516.JPG_effected.jpg

IMG_1525.JPG_effected.jpg

IMG_1527.JPG_effected.jpg

IMG_1533.JPG_effected.jpg

IMG_1537.JPG_effected.jpg

IMG_1539.JPG_effected.jpg

I'm really pleased with its balance and the unplugged sound which is very resonant, thanks to the chambered body. Not totally convinced by the plugged sound yet. It kinda sounds sooo bright.

I'll let her the time needed to find her place in my guitar family though.

Gonna do some videos of it tomorrow. :)

• 3 weeks later...

If you have anymore of those Gibson stop bar inserts laying around, please let me know. My brother is going nuts looking for some. He bought a parts guitar online from the "butcher" on ebay (Gibsondependable / mellonstone) and the bushings were missing. He bought all tonepros hardware from top to bottom, and he's now in a pickle cuz he cant finish the guitar. The inserts is all he needs. Tonepros are 7/16 and he's looking for 1/2" just like you were.

If tonepros is selling a kit marketed for Les Pauls, Its beyond me why they would make their inserts incompatible with Gibson. People pay good money for their stuff, what would it hurt to make their inserts 1/16th bigger?

• 5 months later...

If you have anymore of those Gibson stop bar inserts laying around, please let me know. My brother is going nuts looking for some. He bought a parts guitar online from the "butcher" on ebay (Gibsondependable / mellonstone) and the bushings were missing. He bought all tonepros hardware from top to bottom, and he's now in a pickle cuz he cant finish the guitar. The inserts is all he needs. Tonepros are 7/16 and he's looking for 1/2" just like you were.

If tonepros is selling a kit marketed for Les Pauls, Its beyond me why they would make their inserts incompatible with Gibson. People pay good money for their stuff, what would it hurt to make their inserts 1/16th bigger?

Here you can find 1/2" bushings: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_tailpieces/SG_Junior_Bridge.html?tab=Specs#details

You might have to buy the bridge too, but it's cheap.

Can you guys help me with a similar question?

I've have a problem with one of the bushings in my JJ Melody Maker and I need to replace them. Since I'm going to do it, and since I have some Faber Tone-Lock studs, I thought of buying these Faber milled steel bushings:

http://www.cvgshop.com/p203/TPI-Milled-Steel-Tailpiece-Body-Inserts/product_info.html

I was looking for some info on Gibson bushings, and thanks to you guys, now I know their diameter. But I still need to know the right depth... The Faber bushinns (as well as the ones in the first link I posted above) are .880 (22.35 mm) long... Is this the right depth for a MM?

Help!!!

Thank you!

What value Pots are you using for your volume?

if your still finding that the guitar is too bright drop down to 300k if your currently at 500k. I messed around with my traditional until I found the tone I wanted for both Neck and Bridge pickups. I have a 300k for my neck that leaves a real warm and deep tone and put a 500k for the bridge that allows me to cut through the mix when i'm soloing.

• 5 months later...

I am going through the same thing with a 2005 Les Paul Special. TonePros does have a 1/2" bushing under part # VSXL, they don't advertise it, but it can be ordered by their dealers. I personally would really like an explanation as to why some of models have a 1/2" bushing instead of the 11.3mm that is sold as the US standard size. TonePros states that some guitars were sold with a "Schaller Style" bridge and the 1/2" bushing was standard. I have no idea what a "Schaller Style" bridge actually is. Incidentally, the bridge anchors included with the US standard kits is the same and measured about 6.5mm.

Archived