Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP Jr

cjlandry

In a very real sense, there's actually no such thing as a neck pickup or a bridge pickup. Some pickups have pole spacing to correspond with the position, but not all. In "matched" sets the bridge pickup is sometimes hotter than the neck pickup. You can put either designation in either position, and it will work fine.

The real question is, what are you trying to accomplish by replacing the pickup?

Just my opinion, but I don't believe it matters in a single pickup guitar. Since you're not trying to match output, and you're not trying to mirror winding/polarity with another pickup, you can use anything you like.

However, to be historically accurate, a Jr. should have a single coil P90 in it. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with using a Humbucker, I have one set up that way and it sounds jes' fine:

P1030277.jpg

Here's one set up with a Gibson P94:

P1000673.jpg

That sounded really good by the way. But I'll bet a GFS Mean 90 would sound pretty good too.

Just my opinion, but I don't believe it matters in a single pickup guitar. Since you're not trying to match output, and you're not trying to make the pickup reverse wound/polarity with another pickup, you can use anything you like.

However, to be historically accurate, a Jr. should have a single coil P90 in it. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with using a Humbucker, I have one set up that way and it sounds jes' fine:

P1030277.jpg

P1000673.jpg

That sounded really good by the way. But I'll bet a GFS Mean 90 would sound pretty good too.

I'm considering a GFS Mean 90, or a Power Rails. I don't want to sink a lot of cash into this guitar. I think it sounds pretty good with the Epiphone humbucker it has now, but I think it can sound better with the pickup, pots, cap, and jack upgraded.

I was just curious if there was a "standard" choice for a single pickup guitar. I want this one to be pretty "hot".

I'm considering a GFS Mean 90, or a Power Rails. I don't want to sink a lot of cash into this guitar. I think it sounds pretty good with the Epiphone humbucker it has now, but I think it can sound better with the pickup, pots, cap, and jack upgraded.

I was just curious if there was a "standard" choice for a single pickup guitar. I want this one to be pretty "hot".

I put a GFS P90 in mine. It didn't require much routing. If you're not into that, I also used a Mean 90 in another one and it sounded good.

Just my opinion, but I don't believe it matters in a single pickup guitar. Since you're not trying to match output, and you're not trying to make the pickup reverse wound/polarity with another pickup, you can use anything you like.

P1030277.jpg

P1000673.jpg

Tell me about those bridges, if you don't mind. I like the look, and adjustable intonation is always good. Amazingly, the intonation is pretty good with the stock wraparound fixed bridge.

Tell me about those bridges, if you don't mind. I like the look, and adjustable intonation is always good. Amazingly, the intonation is pretty good with the stock wraparound fixed bridge.

Well, I've come full circle on the wraparound bridge thing. There are a ton of intonatable wraparound bridges out there, but all of them sit up high, so you either have to shim the neck (!) or grind the stud flanges down to make them work.

The fact of the matter is that unless you have intonation problems, it's better to just leave it alone - the stock wraparounds are simpler, sound better (IMHO), and cost $0. Suprisingly, they even work fine with a Bigsby. But I do think locking studs are a good investment - they provide an even more secure and positive connection of the strings to the body than a plain wraparound.

But if you're like me, you'll want to figure this out for yourself. The nickel intonatable is a Leo Quan Badass I got from somewhere on the Internets, and the Gold one I got from StewMac. More about this stuff here:

http://forum.gibson....__1#entry662190

and here:

http://forum.gibson....ad/page__st__60

and here:

http://forum.gibson....__1#entry762290

CJ, I'd agree that it all depends on the sound you wanna get from that particular guitar! Brian PROBABLY has (or did have) EVERY combination on a Jr you can think of. Listen and learn grasshopper!

Thanks.

I want a little hard-rock axe, mainly rhythm. Did I say "HARD"?

I'm not talkin' "Metal". I'm talkin' hard rock. Maybe a touch of a punk edge. Joan Jett, Sex Pistols, that sort of thing.

Well, I've come full circle on the wraparound bridge thing. There are a ton of intonatable wraparound bridges out there, but all of them sit up high, so you either have to shim the neck (!) or grind the stud flanges down to make them work.

The fact of the matter is that unless you have intonation problems, it's better to just leave it alone - the stock wraparounds are simpler, sound better (IMHO), and cost $0. Suprisingly, they even work fine with a Bigsby. But I do think locking studs are a good investment - they provide an even more secure and positive connection of the strings to the body than a plain wraparound.

But if you're like me, you'll want to figure this out for yourself. The nickel intonatable is a Leo Quan Badass I got from somewhere on the Internets, and the Gold one I got from StewMac. More about this stuff here:

http://forum.gibson....__1#entry662190

and here:

http://forum.gibson....ad/page__st__60

and here:

http://forum.gibson....__1#entry762290

Well, I may not be so much like you, as I do believe in the principle of "If it works, don't fix it" (most of the time). I do like shiny things, though, so I couldn't help becoming interested in those shiny things on your guitars.

You could get a Seymour Duncan P-Rails that can be set up switch between single coil, P90 and humbucker modes. However, I reckon you could get pretty close to all of those options with a Gibson 490T. It has a nice mid boost and treble bite so can give you that mid range punch and growl that you get with a P90. It has 4 conductor wires so you can coil tap it too (or wire it with a 5-way switch to give you various phase/parallel/single coil/humbucker options.) Referring to your original question, the 490T is not a high output pup (about 8.2 KOhms) so, as a humbucker, it does clean/slightly dirty bluesy stuff with a nice PAF tone. However, it also takes high gain from amp or effects very well so you can even do thrash metal if you like. Plus it's wax potted so it won't squeal.

They're really not that expensive either. What's not to like?

Alan

EDIT: Just a point to note.....Pre-installed 490R/T humbuckers don't come with 4 wires so you have to watch out for that if you buy used.

Archived