Gibson Brands Forums

New 50's Tribute HoneyBurst...

TheRainSong

Happy New Year.

Just introduced myself in the intro forum here...

Bought my first Les Paul in 2009, a new blue BFG. It was extremely cool, but I decided I had really wanted a more traditional Les Paul and sold it while it was still mint. Lately, I've been looking online and in stores for an acoustic to learn The Rain Song. But when I saw this HoneyBurst Les Paul yesterday in a local Guitar Center - I was immediately infatuated.

It was just unboxed and hung on the Electrics wall the day before. I immediately went home to research it online - and when I realized I couldn't find any in the HoneyBurst finish in any of the major online stores - I hauled back to Guitar Center and bought it immediately!

Here she is:

HoneyLesPaul1.jpg

HoneyLesPaul2.jpg

HoneyLesPaul5.jpg

HoneyLesPaul3.jpg

Honey.jpg

Thanks for the look.

Sid

Lately, I've been looking online and in stores for an acoustic to learn The Rain Song.

Sid

Interesting comment about the song "The Rain Song". You may be interested in my version I did with an electric through the VG-99 found here. Third in the left column. You need Quicktime player to have it stream with the Quicktime player. VG-99 Demo of "The Rain Song"

Interesting comment about the song "The Rain Song". You may be interested in my version I did with an electric through the VG-99 found here. Third in the left column. You need Quicktime player to have it stream with the Quicktime player. VG-99 Demo of "The Rain Song"

Nice job.

Before I realized that the song wasn't standard tuning - it was an extremely difficult task.

The DGCGCD tuning's the only way to play it.

Nice job.

Before I realized that the song wasn't standard tuning - it was an extremely difficult task.

The DGCGCD tuning's the only way to play it.

Thanks, yes the tuning is everything. I played a form of the song in standard tuning for years until I had the ability to hit a button and change tuning I never bothered because I knew I would not tune to play the song. So the VG lets me hit a button and I am in that tuning.

But beleive it or not the tribute band that plays with the symphonies (Randy Jackson-Zebra on vocals and guitar), their guitar player cranks the tuners on his guitar to get there between songs. No guitar tech, just does it. I was very impressed.

Thanks, yes the tuning is everything. I played a form of the song in standard tuning for years until I had the ability to hit a button and change tuning I never bothered because I knew I would not tune to play the song. So the VG lets me hit a button and I am in that tuning.

But beleive it or not the tribute band that plays with the symphonies (Randy Jackson-Zebra on vocals and guitar), their guitar player cranks the tuners on his guitar to get there between songs. No guitar tech, just does it. I was very impressed.

Just as another aside - I'm from New Orleans - and can't tell you how many times I saw Zebra in the late 70's/early 80's. They performed originals - but covered a lot of Zeppelin (that's the main reason they garnered their following in NOLA and NY before being signed to Atlantic).

Randy Jackson could definitely carry off Page, but not Plant - his falsetto just couldn't cut it...

As for The Rain Song - I won't be changing Pagey's tuning on the HoneyBurst (my only electric guitar) until I conquer the song... ;)

Just as another aside - I'm from New Orleans - and can't tell you how many times I saw Zebra in the late 70's/early 80's. They performed originals - but covered a lot of Zeppelin (that's the main reason they garnered their following in NOLA and NY before being signed to Atlantic).

Randy Jackson could definitely carry off Page, but not Plant - his falsetto just couldn't cut it...

As for The Rain Song - I won't be changing Pagey's tuning on the HoneyBurst (my only electric guitar) until I conquer the song... ;)

OK, so yes, you know who I am talking about. I live in Lake Charles and have seen them live a number of times myself.

I have to make a correction though, it was Kashmir that the other guitar player would tune between songs, Randy played guitar on Rain Song and had a guitar already tuned (12 string). I got to work with them on the show in this video but with a Louisiana orchestra (Rapides). It was a nice experience. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_5WRKfJLY4&feature=related

Cool - small world...

He definitely plays TRS very well. I remember seeing him up close at a place called Ol' Man Rivers a few times and Zebra always played it. Jackson even drops the pick and finger picks the strings at the end of the song like Page. Also sounds like he's trying to rely on his falsetto less - but obviously still has to go there when singing vintage Plant.

Thanks for posting the vid.

... when I saw this HoneyBurst Les Paul yesterday in a local Guitar Center - I was immediately infatuated. ...I hauled back to Guitar Center and bought it immediately! ...

Welcome.

Very nice 50s Trib.

Great looking finish.

Congrats. B)

Archived