Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Bass bridge fix video

Lungimsam

SG Bass sound dull and no definition? Supposedly it is because the bridge isn't put onto the guitar back far enough to make the bridge pieces able to make contact with the "sounding" part of the strings. The problem is that the ball end overwinds are sitting on top of the the bridge pieces.

Go to 6:00 into this guy's video, and you'll see a way to fix the prob so many are having with this model bass. Do you think this is a good solution?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rBHfaEWQ3c

SG Bass sound dull and no definition? Supposedly it is because the bridge isn't put onto the guitar back far enough to make the bridge pieces able to make contact with the "sounding" part of the strings. The problem is that the ball end overwinds are sitting on top of the the bridge pieces.

My SG Bass sounds just fine without this modification, If I use strings with silk winding at the ball end, I use a razor blade to cut it off. No problem :rolleyes:

My SG Bass sounds just fine without this modification, If I use strings with silk winding at the ball end, I use a razor blade to cut it off. No problem :rolleyes:

Very cool and easy solution!

Does the metallic wound part still touch the bridge piece?

If yours sounds good, this is encouraging for me, as I plan to use LaBellas that have no silk wrap over the string windings at the bridge. I am getting the SG Bass soon I hope.

Very cool and easy solution!

Does the metallic wound part still touch the bridge piece?

If yours sounds good, this is encouraging for me, as I plan to use LaBellas that have no silk wrap over the string windings at the bridge. I am getting the SG Bass soon I hope.

Only on the E string but It sounds fine and no problem with intonation.

I think you should give the strings the SG comes with a fair change, they sound great after the breakin period, I changed them the same day I got the SG to Chromes Flats, but last week I changed back to the original strings and must admit that I kind of like the sound.

You can hear My SG if you click the myspace link in signature, Chromes Flats > Danelectro Fuzz > VT Bass

(NB: All written text is in Danish [cursing] )

• 4 weeks later...

Yes it is a good solution. Other than that, there was a guy on ebay selling a stainless steel bar with 4 holes drilled it. I bought one for my SG-RI and it worked just fine. The only problem I had with it was that the extra length brought the string ends very close to the body, and you must use care in restringing not to scratch the body. I didn't find that it helped with sustain or definition, and I never really had any intonation problems with the stock 3 point bridge anyway. As bridges go the 3 point works just fine; hey - it's a lot nicer than the bent piece of metal that most Fenders come with! I put a Hipshot on my SG; now that made a nice difference.

Here's the bar on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-EPIPHONE-BASS-BRIDGE-3-POINT-MOD-BAR-/300537165081?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item45f9693519

• 5 months later...

I love my SG bass, especially with fat flats. I'm running with rotosound 88s (115-60 nylon). It's impossible to set the intonation with strings that fat on the stock bridge.

I agree with you guys that the stock bridge has a flawed design- the ball-ends should be much farther from the saddles.

At one point, I got my hands on a shaller 460: not as drop-in as I thought and don't want to drill new peg holes in my bass if I could avoid it. So, it's on my bookshelf.

I thought about it and then made a spacer similar to the chrome ones advertised in this thread out of hard maple. Just drilled 4 holes in it, threaded the strings and jammed it in there. Worked like a charm for getting the right part of the string over the saddle. I thought using wood might be a problem, as it would drift as the wood compressed, but it settled down almost immediately. I've been rocking it this way for months now, and it's very stable. Probably because the maple was old tough flooring stuff. Big tone and intonation improvement with the fatty strings. I get a surprising number of bassists complementing me on the sound after shows.

However, the stock bridge still isn't positioned correctly to accommodate intonating the 115 low E, so I also flipped the saddle backwards to get a bit more length. That got me a lot closer to perfect. It sounds great, but I know it could be a microscopic bit better if i do some more engineering...

Even with skinny strings, the low E saddle gets pretty close to the tail when intonated correctly. Who is playing this thing with anything lighter than 90s? It's made for fat flats. There's well over 1/2" of play on the other end of the bridge. Pulling the whole bridge back 1/4" or so would fix the problem for real- I've had to do that on another shortscale bass to accommodate fat strings. One day I may move the bridge, or at least make some shims or something. Or take a grinder to the shaller so I don't need to cut my favorite little bass...

post-34803-011748800 1311890018_thumb.jpg

Great Idea using the maple spacer. As far as the intonation goes, I put a Hipshot Super Tone on my SG. The Hipshot has tons of room for saddle adjustment; mine is intonated perfectly for .105 - .045 strings, and the E string saddle still has about 3/8" of travel left. it also has adjustable string spacing, individual saddle height, and it's massive. Very very nice bridge. Best of all - you won't have to alter the bass!

They even make one for the old 2 point set-up now.

http://store.hipshot...ct_detail&p=264

• 1 month later...

Yes it is a good solution. Other than that, there was a guy on ebay selling a stainless steel bar with 4 holes drilled it. I bought one for my SG-RI and it worked just fine. The only problem I had with it was that the extra length brought the string ends very close to the body, and you must use care in restringing not to scratch the body. I didn't find that it helped with sustain or definition, and I never really had any intonation problems with the stock 3 point bridge anyway. As bridges go the 3 point works just fine; hey - it's a lot nicer than the bent piece of metal that most Fenders come with! I put a Hipshot on my SG; now that made a nice difference.

Here's the bar on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-EPIPHONE-BASS-BRIDGE-3-POINT-MOD-BAR-/300537165081?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item45f9693519

I bought this bar and the change is dramatic. My SG sounds so much more powerful! Thanks for the head's up!

Oh man!! I've been looking for this thing (not all out admittedly, but it's been on my list). I had one on my '02 TBird and I loved it. The Bird was a nice one but I felt there was a noticeable improvenment with this item. When I sold it I forgot to take it off.

I just got another for my Triumph - thanks for the link B!!!!

Oh man!! I've been looking for this thing (not all out admittedly, but it's been on my list). I had one on my '02 TBird and I loved it. The Bird was a nice one but I felt there was a noticeable improvenment with this item. When I sold it I forgot to take it off.

Cool...I may get one. Sounds fun just to get and try out. Thanks for posting the link!

I'll write a review for it if I get one.

I have just bought the Hipshot supertone bridge, fits perfectly and what a improvement, no more dobbel winding over the sadle in the ball end, individual string heigh and much better sustain. I will never look back.

I will post a pix later today.

I have just bought the Hipshot supertone bridge, fits perfectly and what a improvement, no more dobbel winding over the sadle in the ball end, individual string heigh and much better sustain. I will never look back.

You'll love it: sounds good, looks good, and it won't fall on the floor when ya take the strings off!

Should have let me know ya wanted one - mine is floating around in my parts drawer..........

Now you have to try the Hipshot 2 point Super Tone! :unsure:

Should have let me know ya wanted one - mine is floating around in my parts drawer..........

Now you have to try the Hipshot 2 point Super Tone! :unsure:

I thank you for the offer. This is about as far as I'll go with the Triumph though I'm totally sold on Hipshot stuff. I have several Type A's and had one on my Ric.

P.S. My Triumph has a 3 point. Much easier to deal with than the 2 point, though still a long way from the Hipshot. I'm sure the bar will make a difference.

here is how it looks: First up the whole Bass with the Hipshot + new Trus Rod Cover without the SG print:

Gibson_web.jpg

Close up of the Hipshot Bridge, look how much room there is between the ball end and the sadles:

hipshot_web.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-EPIPHONE-BASS-BRIDGE-3-POINT-MOD-BAR-/300537165081?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item45f9693519

I just got the bar and put it on the Triumph this weekend. The bass already sounded really good and had excellent sustain. I'd say it's a little tighter, but that's very subjective because I switched strings too.

The biggest plus is the extra length it gives the strings. That small amount is enough to back off the windings and get the speaking length on the saddle, allowing it to be properly intonated. Anything else is gravy as far as I'm concerned.

P.S. I've only had Chromes on it since I got it. I decided to go with short scale Pro Steels this time and I am really liking them.

is the stock sound really that bad ? just ordered a new STD and a bit gutted if I have to think about modding it even before it arrives !

No the stock sound/bridge is just fine, I just felt like trying the Hip Shot Supertone and ended up really liking it, but it is not a most. The good thing about the hipshot bridge is that you do not have to modify anything on the bass so it is easy to get it back to original again.

is the stock sound really that bad ? just ordered a new STD and a bit gutted if I have to think about modding it even before it arrives !

The bridge is a pretty silly design. It's not cripplingly bad, but adding some space between the ball-end of the string and the saddle makes things a lot better. I found it fixed the problems I was having with the instrument's intonation when playing with different dynamics.

I also found it impossible to correctly set the intonation a big fat 115 low E on the stock bridge, even with a ball-end spacer. I've gone to thinner strings as a temporary solution, but that changes how the whole thing plays again.

Other than that, I was able to dial the 3 point bridge in how I like with very little effort. String height and spacing is fine. And, it looks classier than the hipshot, IMHO.

I was able to dial the 3 point bridge in how I like with very little effort. String height and spacing is fine. And, it looks classier than the hipshot, IMHO.

My SG Bass is scheduled to arrive the morning of the 15th - just a few more hours. I thought about ordering the Hipshot bridge (I love the Hipshot bridge I have on my Rickenbacker 4003), but A; I don't think it looks nearly as nice as the Gibby bridge, and B; Hipshot's own webpage warns that their Gibson replacement bridge will leave an impression in the lacquer finish if it is ever removed. I think I'll stay with the stock unit & add spacers if needed.

Archived