005-10.jpg

006-8.jpg

007-9.jpg

008-5.jpg

009-7.jpg

010-7.jpg

011-6.jpg

012-3.jpg

I really didn't know too much about it when I picked it up except that it caught my eye and the price was right. But when I got it home and cracked into it my jaw dropped. I popped the rear cavity cover off and much to my surprise the thing is chambered 0_o

So that lead me to email Gibson on what the hell I'm holding in my hands, and after a few days I got my response.

"Thanks for the email. The serial number shows a custom ordered 1996 Les Paul Florentine model with no F holes in Emerald Green finish. Thanks again, and I hope this helps!!"

What?! How common of a thing can this possibly be? Are there any others like it? Any information would help, oh yeah it plays like an absolute dream and sounds even better.

Congrats on your new LP. She's a beauty.

But I'm a bit confused about the "Florentine" moniker. The Custom Shop Florentines I've seen from the 90s are semi-hollow with F-holes. Originally called the Bantam Elite, the name was changed to "Florentine". Of course, "Florentine" also refers to a cutaway with a pointy horn (pictured further below). Your LP has neither. Just curious.

(A cutaway with a rounded horn is called a "Venetian".)

LPBantamDatasheet.jpg. . Florentine.jpg

gibson-les-paul-florentine.jpg

Well to be honest I don't know hahah, that's just what Gibson told me when I emailed them. I took some shots of the chambering for you.

006-9.jpg

011-7.jpg

008-6.jpg

009-8.jpg

007-10.jpg

EDIT: It looks like the masking tape says Emerald and "Walnut Filler" on it also.

Congrats on a fine-looking and unusual Les Paul!

Like others I'm curious about the instrument. The wood inside the body has regular lines; are these routing marks or is the 'solid' part of the innards multi-sheet ply?

I wonder if 'Walnut filler' refers to the wood-stain-filler to be used on the back and neck as these are brown rather than the usual cherry-red?

It would be interesting to find out who ordered the guitar originally!

Excellent find, Story!

P.

I bought it from it's original owner but he DID NOT order it, he bought it brand new from a shop about 40 minutes away, my guess is that they had it ordered? As far as I hear they are long gone now. I'm really curious as to how many were made like this, gibson wasn't able to give me a production number on non-f hole'd florentines. I did also wonder about the lines, they seem to not indent or stick out so I would imagine they're just part of the innards of the wood. Yeah I googled walnut filler after posting that and it does seem to be the stain, and I noticed you can tell it's stained where the lip for the cavity cover is.

But all in all it's an amazing guitar its got that usual les paul tone but with more of an attack and brightness mixed in. I don't find it to be too neck heavy either. I considered selling it to get one of those 1957 Goldtop VOS' but I've changed my mind seeing that this is something no one has, and I truly enjoy it even though I'm more fond of natural finish necks :P

Never mind the f-holes...

How about no ebony board, block markers, diamond inlay, single ply binding? The Florentine/Bantam are clearly based on the LP Custom. This one is based on a Standard.

I guess the person who ordered it from the Custom Shop wanted a 'Standard' but without the weight/mass. In 1996 the 'Standard' was not yet chambered and, even weight-relied, would still likely be around the 9 lb mark. This would be a way to surmount that 'issue'.

I like how on the right hand side flyer posted by BigKahune the ad informs us we could order either "f-holes for classic, traditional aura or diamond-holes for an elegant, modern look"...

P.

Never mind the f-holes...

How about no ebony board, block markers, diamond inlay, single ply binding? The Florentine/Bantam are clearly based on the LP Custom. This one is based on a Standard.

an there was me only wondering what the tone was like plugged into a vintage amp?

all that stuff is Bling! except for the ebony board but then ebony is still available..........[sad]

if you custom order a Les Paul its always made by the custom shop regardless of model

I bought it from it's original owner but he DID NOT order it, he bought it brand new from a shop about 40 minutes away, my guess is that they had it ordered? As far as I hear they are long gone now. I'm really curious as to how many were made like this, gibson wasn't able to give me a production number on non-f hole'd florentines. I did also wonder about the lines, they seem to not indent or stick out so I would imagine they're just part of the innards of the wood. Yeah I googled walnut filler after posting that and it does seem to be the stain, and I noticed you can tell it's stained where the lip for the cavity cover is.

But all in all it's an amazing guitar its got that usual les paul tone but with more of an attack and brightness mixed in. I don't find it to be too neck heavy either. I considered selling it to get one of those 1957 Goldtop VOS' but I've changed my mind seeing that this is something no one has, and I truly enjoy it even though I'm more fond of natural finish necks :P

yeah that happens, sometimes the person making the custom order does so through a store and pays a deposit. The store orders the guitar and the customer decides they dont want it / can no longer afford it or so on so the store sells it to make their money back.

I don't play through anything vintage sadly, but I do use a JSX half stack. I could throw up a little sound check if you're interested. I use an original mn3005 chip boss DM2 in the effects loop and it has a great sound.

Well this SUCKS, I pull her out of the case a few minutes ago to play. This is what I'm greeted by.

004-13.jpg

What the hell is this? I noticed some goo right there, I start freaking out, and get out my dunlop 65 cleaner spray it on a rag and start wiping, it starting lifting off. I'm like oh thank god it was just a fluke. Finish getting all the goo off and notice that there's an obnoxious crevasse as you can see. To be honest I'm pissed, how the hell did this happen.... Obviously the finish lifted off some how, but it was seriously fine not a few hours ago, Cleaned it up after playing stuck it in the case and find this. It looks TERRIBLE and it really bothers me. In the right light you can't see it and in the wrong light its the grand canyon.

Well this SUCKS, I pull her out of the case a few minutes ago to play. This is what I'm greeted by.

004-13.jpg

What the hell is this? I noticed some goo right there, I start freaking out, and get out my dunlop 65 cleaner spray it on a rag and start wiping, it starting lifting off. I'm like oh thank god it was just a fluke. Finish getting all the goo off and notice that there's an obnoxious crevasse as you can see. To be honest I'm pissed, how the hell did this happen.... Obviously the finish lifted off some how, but it was seriously fine not a few hours ago, Cleaned it up after playing stuck it in the case and find this. It looks TERRIBLE and it really bothers me. In the right light you can't see it and in the wrong light its the grand canyon.

ahhh that sucks, however.......she now has MOJO! and i know its a kick in the teeth but I would be really grateful that its on the back of the headstock and not the front!

if you really wanted it fixed and depending on the depth, you can drop fill lacquer it and buff it out and because all the paint looks intact undeneath you wouldn't even notice it anymore.

I still say shes perfect dude [thumbup] hey i'd still take megan fox with a mole on her left butt cheek no doubt about it.

Archived