Gibson Brands Forums

J-160E ?

brannon67

I have a questionn about the(Standard) J-160E. I have always liked the look of the guitar, but I have not played one yet. I could take or leave Lennon, and the Beatles, I could care less about that, but I do like the looks of the guitar. My question is, how do they sound plugged in, and how do they sound unplugged, played acoustically so to speak? Do you recommend this guitar to a non Beatles fan? Can this guitar be played for other styles of music, not just the Beatles music? Im trying to decide if I want one or not. Thanks.

It may be worth reading some of the several earlier posts regarding J160e's various

No doubt an iconic guitar Beatles-wise

Some are not totally happy with the acoustic performance due to bracing/top strategies to minimise feedback

Others feel the pickup sounds too 'electric'.....whatever....

I'm just a cool dude with a cheap copy, which to me sounds great acoustically and electrically

I am happy to play without the brand 'burden'.... <_<

V

:-({|=

Yeah the general view of the acoustic properties of these models is 'questionable', I must admit to being fascinated by the concept though, my local place when I go back home to Scotland has quite a Gibson range now, the guy in charge is a bit of a Gibson fan too, his assessment of the J-160E's they had were "the most expensive rubbish we have in the shop, truly terrible guitars'" and this from a salesman too... ;)

Yeah the general view of the acoustic properties of these models is 'questionable', I must admit to being fascinated by the concept though, my local place when I go back home to Scotland has quite a Gibson range now, the guy in charge is a bit of a Gibson fan too, his assessment of the J-160E's they had were "the most expensive rubbish we have in the shop, truly terrible guitars'" and this from a salesman too... ;)

Yes, the man is not totally wrong !!

And the latest JL's 70th Yoko whatsit is on a par...!!

Still great looking though... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

There's some serious J-160E bashing going on here. Is there a big difference between a new one and a vintage 1950s or 60s version?

I think there's nothing but love in terms of the plugged tone, the largest base of users are probably after as close to a Beatle sound as they can get so there's probably no guitar will get them closer. I do believe the acoustic tone has always been questioned though..... given the amount of hits that sound can be found on, plugged and unplugged, there's no questioning it's place in the line-up....

Many of the comments above (like the one about Elvis Costello's guitar and the one about feedback control) seem to be about those models with vintage specs--laminated top and ladder bracing.

The new ones (the J-160E Standard, with a solid top and x-bracing) sound pretty good acoustically, but they have their own personality. Because they have 15 frets clear of the neck, the bridge is moved up closer to the soundhole, which puts it closer to the waist and further from the fattest part of the soundboard in comparison to its location on 14 clear-fret Gibson J's. In my opinion, this gives the guitar a very punchy, percussive character. Notes decay very quickly, and they are not terribly rich in harmonics. I think this makes the J-160E Standard a great rhythm guitar (like its laminated topped, ladder braced vintage counterpart). It cuts right through--rock 'n roll performance to match the guitar's badass looks. If you're looking for or need this characteristic, than you'll love the J-160E Standard. If you're looking for a guitar to play sensitive new-age fingerpicked arrangements, look elsewhere.

Since the late 2000's, the J-160E Standard has come with a P-90 pick-up (those made from its 1991 re-launch to that point had a P-100). I have a Standard with the single-coil P-90 (the P-100 is a stacked mini-humbucker), so my comments are about it.

With phosphor bronze strings, you get reasonable amplified acoustic tones. It'll sound recognizably like an acoustic through a club PA, for instance, but no one would confuse the P-90 for the pick-up used in the Jackson Browne model. The P-90 gives the sound what I would call "character" (though others might say 'distortion,' depending on how fussy they were about sound).

With electric guitar strings or pure nickel strings, the output sounds very similar to a large bodied electric archtop equipped with a P-90. Of course, the unamplified acoustic output changes dramatically with these strings.

The reason people put electric strings on the Standard is that they want Beatle-esque sounds. While that will give them a reasonable approximation (especially electrically), one really needs one of the laminated top, ladder braced versions (available as the "Peace" model, or from Fuller's or other 5-Star dealers). These sound like they are stuffed full of socks, which is exactly the tone Beatlemaniacs are looking for. The Standard sounds much better than that acoustically (though not as rich or sustaining as a J-45).

Below is my solid top, x-braced J-160E Standard:

gibsonj160estandard.jpg

My laminated top, ladder braced J-160E "Peace" is next to it on the top row:

227ii.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Red 333

Red 333

Thanks for the informative post. I use to have a 68 model (ladderbracing and laminated top) and did not like it. I have done some j160 bashingin the past until Bob rar informed me that the new standards are solid top and Xbraced. I have not played one yet but aminterested how they sound. Do the newstandards us the p90 and if so how do they cope with the feed back problem?

chasAK

Red 333

Thanks for the informative post. I use to have a 68 model (ladderbracing and laminated top) and did not like it. I have done some j160 bashingin the past until Bob rar informed me that the new standards are solid top and Xbraced. I have not played one yet but aminterested how they sound. Do the newstandards us the p90 and if so how do they cope with the feed back problem?

chasAK

I think it helps to think of it this way: vintage J160E's (ladder braced, laminated top) are not really meant to be acoustic guitars primarily--they are electric guitars that look like an acoustic guitar, and will make enough sound when unplugged (with nickel or other vintage-spec strings)that you can hear it if you're strumming on the couch. They have as much in common with a laminated top archtop as a flattop.

New J-160E's on the other hand (J-160E Standards), are meant to sound better than the originals when unplugged, yet retain the electric characteristics of the originals. With phosphor-bronze strings, the pick-ups output is more acousticy. With nickel or other "electric strings," the guitar sounds more like a vintage J-160E amplified, though you suppress its performance as an acoustic guitar.

The J-160E Standard does have a P-90 (those made from 1991 to about 2006 have a stacked humbucker P-100). Vintage J-160E's relied on the heavy ladder bracing and laminated top to suppress feedback. This was a reaction to period sound reinforcement technology as much as anything. Modern amplification and feedback suppression technology will help you a lot with the J-160E Standard. I don't think you would have any more of a problem with the Standard than you have with any acoustic-electric today, other than the hum precautions you would take with any single coil.

Red 333

one really needs one of the laminated top, ladder braced versions. These sound like they are stuffed full of socks, which is exactly the tone Beatlemaniacs are looking for.

hehe - I like that description. And I like my ladder braced ply-top adjustable bridge J-160E [tongue]

j160E-1.jpg

Many of the comments above (like the one about Elvis Costello's guitar and the one about feedback control) seem to be about those models with vintage specs--laminated top and ladder bracing.

The new ones (the J-160E Standard, with a solid top and x-bracing) sound pretty good acoustically, but they have their own personality. Because they have 15 frets clear of the neck, the bridge is moved up closer to the soundhole, which puts it closer to the waist and further from the fattest part of the soundboard in comparison to its location on 14 clear-fret Gibson J's. In my opinion, this gives the guitar a very punchy, percussive character. Notes decay very quickly, and they are not terribly rich in harmonics. I think this makes the J-160E Standard a great rhythm guitar (like its laminated topped, ladder braced vintage counterpart). It cuts right through--rock 'n roll performance to match the guitar's badass looks. If you're looking for or need this characteristic, than you'll love the J-160E Standard. If you're looking for a guitar to play sensitive new-age fingerpicked arrangements, look elsewhere.

Since the late 2000's, the J-160E Standard has come with a P-90 pick-up (those made from its 1991 re-launch to that point had a P-100). I have a Standard with the single-coil P-90 (the P-100 is a stacked mini-humbucker), so my comments are about it.

With phosphor bronze strings, you get reasonable amplified acoustic tones. It'll sound recognizably like an acoustic through a club PA, for instance, but no one would confuse the P-90 for the pick-up used in the Jackson Browne model. The P-90 gives the sound what I would call "character" (though others might say 'distortion,' depending on how fussy they were about sound).

With electric guitar strings or pure nickel strings, the output sounds very similar to a large bodied electric archtop equipped with a P-90. Of course, the unamplified acoustic output changes dramatically with these strings.

The reason people put electric strings on the Standard is that they want Beatle-esque sounds. While that will give them a reasonable approximation (especially electrically), one really needs one of the laminated top, ladder braced versions (available as the "Peace" model, or from Fuller's or other 5-Star dealers). These sound like they are stuffed full of socks, which is exactly the tone Beatlemaniacs are looking for. The Standard sounds much better than that acoustically (though not as rich or sustaining as a J-45).

gibsonj160estandard.jpg

227ii.jpg

Red 333

Thanks for the very concise description of the NEW J160e ,Red333. Sounds like a very nice compromise. Also....a very nice collection of Gibson acoustics pictured and assembled....Cheers!

I am an owner of a 2005 solid-top J160-E. I really enjoy this guitar a lot!! My other acoustic is a 2001 Taylor 314ce Imbuia LTD annd the J160-E is a perfect companion to the Taylor.

This guitar is a really great rythmn instrument and can do some great lead work if needed (and you were a great player).

I have the P100's in mine (don't use much) and I use Elixer acoustic strings (no Elixer bashing here please[laugh]).

I also installed an LR Baggs element some years ago so I could play it plugged in acoustically instead of P100's electrically!! Great sound!!

It has been my #1 acoustic since 2005 ..... And I am a big Beatles fan too so I love looking at it. I keep it out all the time [love]

You config above is exactly what I thought of, whenever I entertained the idea of one of these guitars (and I did a coupleof times).

I play the lead parts in a 2 man combo and I thought this could be the perfect guitar for me really, get a Baggs or K&K in it too, 2 jack sockets, one to the elctric amp, one to the acoustic amp an A/B box and I'd be able to cover both angles... I really adore the looks of these guitars, I just was always put off by the 60's skinny necks on them, if I could have one with a woody/j-45 neck as they are currently and get the setup I wanted it could be a great solution for my situation.

I really adore the looks of these guitars, I just was always put off by the 60's skinny necks on them, if I could have one with a woody/j-45 neck as they are currently and get the setup I wanted it could be a great solution for my situation.

The necks aren't skinny. They've got at least the same heft as a current J-45 neck. Frets are super-high, though, which changes your playing experience a bit.

Red 333

gibsonj160estandard.jpg

227ii.jpg

Red 333

you just live in a shop !!

Archived