Gibson Brands Forums

Marks on the wood. Texture of the arm.

Charles Oliveira

Hello! My name is Charles Oliveira. I'm from Brasil (Brazil).

I bought my first guitar (pictured below) recently, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Black.

I noticed that there are marks on her arm. White markings. Can anyone tell if this texture is common?

If this is a manufacturing defect. They can tell if it will bring me problems in the future?

If a piece is fake? I found this very strange white mark on the wood.

Thank you!

Big hug from Brazil

I epiphonebrasil.jpg

That is correct, it's polishing compound and can be mostly removed with a little Naptha, a soft cloth and little elbow grease. You can use a toothpick or needle to dig it out of particularly bad areas (be careful!)

On higher quality and/or hand-assembled guitars, the builder typically masks off the fretboard so compound doesn't get onto the fretboard and into the grain.

Many of the recent mass-market Chinese and Indonesian Epiphones have this issue, it's due to shortcuts the manufacturing process to speed up production.

Welcome to the forum Charles!

One important note when using wire wool to polish your frets, make sure the pickups and any gaps into the pickup cavity are fully masked up first, being magnetic the pickups will attract anything metallic.

That is correct, it's polishing compound and can be mostly removed with a little Naptha, a soft cloth and little elbow grease. You can use a toothpick or needle to dig it out of particularly bad areas (be careful!)

On higher quality and/or hand-assembled guitars, the builder typically masks off the fretboard so compound doesn't get onto the fretboard and into the grain.

Many of the recent mass-market Chinese and Indonesian Epiphones have this issue, it's due to shortcuts the manufacturing process to speed up production.

Welcome to the forum Charles!

Thank you, Brianh. The guitar is still under warranty. Do u think I should replace it?

Thank for your suport, I love my guitar, but I don't understand nothing. :/

BIg hug from Brazil. :)

From the EPI LOUNGE "Do-It-Yourself" Sticky'

sub-category - "Fretboard Care":

"CLEAN/OIL FRETBOARD and POLISH YOUR FRETS!!!"

(May help get rid of that "Rough Feeling" you get when bending notes)

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/54572-wire-wool/

Animalfarm, thank u very much. I really don't know nothing about wood.

I bought this guitar a few days ago. I'm still within the exchange, if I want to change it.

Big hug from Br =)

Does anyone know if the warranty covers this? For if any, will replace it. This undermines the guitar in any way in the future?

I doubt it would be covered by warranty, it's only that the guitar wasn't cleaned up properly when leaving the factory, the guitar itself is still ok, and it won't have any problems because of it in the future. Once it's cleaned up, that should be the last time you will notice it, and it won't return if cleaned properly.

Welcome to the forum btw, I hope you like it here.

Thank you, Brianh. The guitar is still under warranty. Do u think I should replace it?

No, the next one will likely have the same or perhaps some other equally as perplexing problem.

Just clean it up and play...it needs to be done anyway to get the excess fretboard dye off.

Archived