Gibson Brands Forums

wire wool

invasion

Just about to clean up my fingerbaord with some 0000 grade wire wool and as I have never done this I was wondering if I could run into any problems with the wire wool and Pickups attracting the bits of wire wool ??

Years ago I used to hear people say it was bad to take stings of your guitar at the same time without adjusting truss rodbecause it would strain the neck, is this true...I haven't heard it since?Dan Erlewine hasn't mentioned it in his book so I guess it isn't true. Thought it was worth asking??

thanks

Invasion,

Anytime there is the possibility of metal dust around the guitar, the pickups should be taped off. (Completely)

Personally, I just use a cloth and some fretboard cleaner or some lemon oil furniture polish.

(The good stuff...NO silicon content)

I take all the stings off every time I clean the fret board....about once or twice a year.

Never had any damage here.

Willy

I agree with Whitmore Willy - I ALWAYS pull all the strings when

cleaning/oiling the fretboard, and while I'm doing that, I also use the

#0000 steel wool to polish the frets - tape off the fret you're polishing

on each side with blue painter's masking tape so you don't scuff the wood -

I wipe/scrub the fretboard itself with a warm, damp rag to remove any accumulated

dirt. If you have gunk at the fret edge, wrap the rag around a "plastic credit card"

and scrub (not HARD) to remove dirt/oils. I've read about folks "buffing" their fretboards

with steel wool (in the direction of the grain), but I personally choose not to use

steel wool on wood...

I then wipe the fretboard dry, let sit for about 30 mins to allow residual moisture

to evaporate, then I start the "taping off" and polishing of each fret, moving my way

up the board as I go. When I get near the pups, I put several pieces over the neck pup

to keep from getting steel wool dust on it - the "used" painter's masking tape is really

handy for dabbing up the steel wool dust...

Finally, I apply a generous amount of "Old English w/ Lemon Oil", let soak in, then buff

the bejesus out of the fretboard so I won't have black fingers next time I play! Then on go

the strings. JUST did this to my LP Studio several days ago:

BEFORE cleaning and Fret Polish:

100_0621.jpg

AFTER Clean and Fret polish - color back on fretboard,

you can now see the string reflections on the frets:

The grey stuff in the nut slots is (of course) pencil lead graphite!

100_0620.jpg

• 2 months later...

Going through my Guitars doing the "Winter" set-ups and treatments,

decided to take pics of one just to add to this Topic and provide more

visual references to what's already been put in here.

There are several products to use for oiling fretboard, just find the one

that works best for you. [thumbup]

This is basically what I personally use to Clean and Oil fretboard

and Polish Frets. Strings are off, fretboard has been cleaned as per

earlier post, and I've already done a couple of frets:

100_0642.jpg

I use 3 pieces of masking tape - 2 for the Fret being polished, the 3rd as a

Placemarker for the next fret in line so I don't lose my place! The 2 frets on the left

have already been polished - just takes a SMALL ball of #0000 Steel wool, just enough to

allow you to polish Fret only, don't dig thru tape and scuff wood.

100_0645.jpg

Fret Polishing done, Fretboard now has light coat of "Old English w/ Lemon Oil" on

it, soaking in for about 5 minutes. I then buffed the heck out of it with a clean, soft

rag until NO residue came off on rag.

100_0646.jpg

BEFORE/AFTER Fret Polish and Oiling. Note that frets in first pic "appear" to be

slightly dull-ish, definitely shiny again in second pic, fretboard has darker "oiled"

color now.

100_0647.jpg

100_0648.jpg

Nice job Animalfarm!

Great pics. I see you're using your Old English. It's been a favorite of mine for a long time. I keep telling myself I'm going to try some of the newer products but I always seem to end up using O.E.

I wonder if our fellow members across the pond use Old American. Probably not.(just doesn't have the same ring to it)

Willy

Does that kind of attention do anything for playability/feel, Animalfarm?

I wonder if our fellow members across the pond use Old American.

Probably not.(just doesn't have the same ring to it)

Willy

Willy - "Old American" sounds like a Backhills MOONSHINE Whiskey! :rolleyes:

AnanH - Regarding playability and feel, I personally believe the Polished Frets

allow for easier string bending than oxidized and possibly rough/"draggy-feeling"

Frets. And of course, regular oiling of the fretboard keeps it from drying out and

cracking, which would be a bummer. AND it just looks "PURTY".

It could be just psychological for me, but I do it twice a year, regardless.

Which would you rather play on -

THIS:

100_0648.jpg

OR THIS: (Gives me the "Willies" [sorry, Willy] just looking at it! [scared][scared]

NastyFretboard.jpg

I recently bought a little fretboard maintenance kit made by Dunlop. It was less than $20 and I'd recommend it to anyone. It comes with a bottle of fretboard cleaner, a bottle of fretboard conditioner, and a "micro-fiber" thing for polishing the frets after you clean and condition the board (no need for taping over the fingerboard or anything like that). I was very impressed with the results and also kind of surprised at all of the gross stuff that came off on the cloth after I cleaned my fretboard! It should last me for a good while and when it runs out, I won't hesitate to buy it again.

I recently bought a little fretboard maintenance kit made by Dunlop. It was less than $20 and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Super,

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like great stuff. For twenty buck I'd give it a try.

It's just that us "OLD AMERICANS" are a little slow on change. (Newfangled stuff and such)

moonshiner.jpg

Willy

• 4 months later...

What a great thread! Practical and funny as hell (thanks to the pics). I feel inspired to clean my fret board for the 1st time.

Earlewine suggests purified linseed oil for fretboard conditioning...again, to each his own, but being an oil painter, I already had some on hand and tried it. It really works well and doesn't seem to dry out as fast as lemon oil does. Again, this is just my opinion but it's worked for me.

apply in a semi-liberal amount, let stand for a minute or two and then wipe clean. Let sit for another couple of minutes and wipe again...keep doing that until all the excess oil gets removed from the wood. Never tried fret polishing, but after reading some of these posts, I'm tempted to give it a try!

Super,

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like great stuff. For twenty buck I'd give it a try.

It's just that us "OLD AMERICANS" are a little slow on change. (Newfangled stuff and such)

moonshiner.jpg

Willy

I just saw this picture. I have the book that it came from. All about how moonshining started and has progressed. This guy has been doing it since he was 11 years old (and he's only 31 years old in the picture!). Although my equipment is a little more modern, it's still (no pun intended) the same 3 ingredients. Good water, Corn Sugar and yeast. Great hobby, with benefits. And I still have all of my teeth.

• 4 months later...

Sorry if I have dragged an old thread up but excellent info and idiot proof diagrams, thank you.

Don't be sorry. I'm sure there's a lot of us new kid's on the block that haven't seen it, and appreciate the info found that every guitar player would be interested in. AWESOME!!!

AnimalFarm...... as a guitar cleaning Noob that was the best post ever :)

Sorry if I have dragged an old thread up but excellent info and idiot proof diagrams, thank you.

ANY thread in the Do-it-Yourself and/or the Guitar and Gear Review thread will

NEVER be considered "OLD". They were put there as easy access references, and can be

posted onto and brought forward by anyone at anytime.

This keeps the info ALIVE. The posts were put there so they wouldn't fade away and never be

found again.

I'm glad you've found it useful! [thumbup]

• 2 months later...

This is an excerpt from an old thread, it shows what I call auto maskers, they're brilliant for fret polishing duties without having to smother the thing in masking tape.

Most people mask off the fretboard, that's time consuming and a PIA if you ask me, I make up my own auto maskers which are simply 22mm (7/8") wide strips of plastic with a 2mm - 3mm wide slit down the middle, I cut them from the side of 1kg yoghurt containers, they are also brilliant for fret polishing duties, you'll notice one in a few of the following pics, it's only in those pics to show what I'm talking about.

I think the blue tinted frets look awesome, wish they made them in colours other than gold/brass/silver.

Xaviere_XV-560_SemiHollow_FretWork-01croppedScaledRotated.jpg

Xaviere_XV-560_SemiHollow_FretWork-04croppedScaledRotated.jpg

Xaviere_XV-560_SemiHollow_FretWork-05rotatedCroppedScaledUnrotated.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have used the GHS "Fast-Fret" product a bunch in the past. I typically use it every couple of weeks.

Should I be doing this type of cleaning process still, or switch to a seasonal linseed and/or lemon oil regiment?

Thanks.

I am going to give that fret polishing a shot.

This is an excerpt from an old thread, it shows what I call auto maskers, they're brilliant for fret polishing duties without having to smother the thing in masking tape.

For Rob - Post #21: your Fretboard protectors are a gread idea. I not STEWMAC SELLS something like

them, but I don't hink they do theirs from YOGURT containers!!!!! Not high dollar enough. HEY - This could go into

the Cheap Luthier Tools Section of "DIY"!

And that ladies and gentlemen is WHY we post these brilliant ideeeees. WE LEARN from each other! [thumbup]

Strange things going on in other folk's trailer park homes. [rolleyes]

Um.........I've never treated a fretboard, or steel wooled any frets......Or, adjusted a truss rod.............

Retired now, it's time......Think I'll start with fretboard conditioning.....Member C.B. is right about

Gibby frets; They are flat when stock.....Gotta find someone to "crown" them..........

( Cheaper than simply buying more guitars; not as fun though )....................

Archived