Gibson Brands Forums

Fingerboard Question

Z SCORP

Whats the model and when was it made?

If its brand new it may be the new north American rosewood they are using.. I havent seen any in real life yet so not sure what they look like. Can you take a close up pic of the fretboard for us? hard to see from that pic.

Cheers :)

Whats the model and when was it made?

If its brand new it may be the new north American rosewood they are using.. I havent seen any in real life yet so not sure what they look like. Can you take a close up pic of the fretboard for us? hard to see from that pic.

Cheers :)

It was made this year and its just a regular explorer...I'll take another picture when I get home...thanks for the help!

It's true they're using North American rosewood, grown in Flordia and Southern California. There are rumors that it's transplanted Brazillian, though that remains to be confirmed. Rosewood can vary greatly in coloration, it's the nature of wood.

-Ryan

Thanks guys for all the responses!

On Gibson's main site there's a page where you can email questions. Send then the s/n and they will tell you for sure what the fretboard is made from. I just did that for my new SG Standard with a Katalox (mexican ebony) board. It's also lighter than RW so maybe yours is also Katalox too.

IMG_2644.jpg

I have contacted Gibson Europe about the fingerboard wood currently used on regular Explorers and i got a responce yesterday stated that they are using Granadillo.I am getting mine next week,have already seen it and played it in the store the fingerboard is considerable lighter that rosewood.I cant say i liked it aesthetically,i hope with some lemon oil and with playing will darken a bit.No ebony on the classic whites either.

As of recent, they have removed "American rosewood" from the specs page and simply stated rosewood, so I assume they are now using layered boards on Explorers, Firebirds, etc.

EDIT: I have lied. They changed the Firebird and SG specs back to rosewood, but both the Explorer and V's state American rosewood. My mistake.

I got my Explorer a few days ago and it said the neck was rosewood but it looks pretty light to me. Am I just a noob or what?post-40570-039668200 1332519312_thumb.jpg

Looks like baked maple to my untrained eyes... I could very well be wrong though. You would know the difference if you've played a rosewood fret board before though. It feels so different... and it's like really dense with close pores and it's colour is more even that rosewood. At least that would be my description.

Wow nice! Did it come with that pickguard or did you put that on there? Someday I'll change my explorer to look like this...

Sorry for the late reply

Thank you. No, the guitar came with a white pickguard.

Nice paintjob on the Explorer you posted. Are you a Scorpion fan? :)

Haha HUGE Scorps Fan! Rudy and Matthias are the reason I wanted to pick up a guitar. Hence why I bought an Explorer and waiting for a White Flying V to be shipped to me. It's A Rock & Roll Hurricane!

I got my Les Paul 20 years ago - and within a week nearly had a disaster when the upper strap button literally fell out - fortunately I caught the guitar. The thread on the screw was almost non-existent, and the pre-drilled hole was clearly oversize, because I was able to push the screw back in to its full depth with light finger pressure only. I was so angry, I went back and demanded a replacement (guitar) - and have had a nagging doubt ever since.

To Fingerboards !!

That first LP had a lovely dark rosewood fingerboard - and a fantastic tone, but the replacement had a much lighter fingerboard, and to me the tone has always been "muddy" - although the guitar has had what are supposed to be "professional" set-ups over the years.

However, every time I change strings, the guitar gets a major polish, and the fingerboard has some lemon oil rubbed well in. Over just a few treatments - that second light fingerboard became as dark and smooth as I had on the first guitar.

If your guitar is otherwise good - keep it, care for it (replace the standard Gibson straplocks with Schallers!!!!) - and it will improve in appearance and "feel" over time.

Remember - some of the new fingerboards Gibson are using are "baked maple" - and the reports seem to indicate a wide range of colours - from a light hue through to being indistinguishable from a dark rosewood.

Best Regards,

WGB

Dundee,

Scotland.

Hey Scorp i just bought one of these today fresh out of the package.The fingerboard is same as yours so dont worry about it.You must know though that same thing goes for Flying V so if you are after a classic white dont expect an ebony fretboard but this one.Cheers

dsc01628fv.jpg

dsc01632br.jpg

Archived