Gibson Brands Forums

real deal Epi or just another fake?

slim.blues.boy

Hi, can anyone help me indentify this Les Paul?

Is it real Epiphone made?

The serial number is a little bit strange, numerical serial number, 9 digits.

I know that there are Epiphone with all numeric serial, but longer digits with factory codes and production date.

Also, the nuts was black color, usually it was white/ivory color (perhaps someone change it?).

Pictures:

929537_20130329014823_zpsb689a4a2.jpg

929537_20130404081445_zps6c4d2803.jpg

Thanks for any help :)

A clear pic of the back of the headstock including the serial number would be a great help.

Take it a step further and a shot of the control cavity always helps.

With the pics you have put up I could do no more than speculate.

Still....Given the basics:

Knobsscrew-1.jpg

I would lean toward...

Epi-phoney.

I will add that if the serial number indicates a Korean LP from years ago....

The knob placements were less consistent. Even so, the pickguard bracket screw looks off.

Willy

Some epis come with black nuts, so that does not necessarily mean anything.

But the knobs on that guitar do look a little out of place. They look like they are too far apart, and should be grouped closer together and at a different angle (as Willy pointed out).

Not sure, but I'm with Willy on this one.

The Guitar Dater Project doesn't recognize that serial number. That's not conclusive, but suggestive that it's phony. The serial number just doesn't look right either. There are a couple 2001 Epi LPs on ebay at the moment, and their serial numbers start with a letter indicating Korea-made, not to mention that they just look considerably different. I'm highly skeptical that's a real Epi. If I was looking to buy it, I'd keep checking till I could really determine its authenticity.

Well thank you for all responses.

I already asked this question on another forum while waiting for admin approval. I forgot my old ID password and registering this new ID.

And guys over there were not sure either with this one.

Someone offered this guitar for around $170.

But it's kinda suspicious, plus there are lot of fake Epiphone stuffs circulating in my country (LU serial, fake EE serial and other not-so-close copy).

But well then, I'll pass on this one since I was looking for nice real deal Les Paul, and Epiphone is what I can afford at this moment.

Archived