Gibson Brands Forums

1st Gibson.......advice sought

robekert

Hi all,

Have my 1st Gibson on order. I am a hacker but trying to get better. I have had an Epiphone Masterbilt 500M that I have been playing. Went to a local shop to buy some strings and saw the Songwriter hanging on the wall. I could hear the Angels Singing. I was awestruck. Sounded great......but you all know that. Got some cash together and decided to buy the Songwriter Deluxe/Cut Away........Rosewood.

Couple of questions. I have upgraded the saddle/pins on the Masterbilt to bone pins and FWI saddle (Bob Colosi). Would like to upgrade the saddle on the Songwriter. I am flipping a coin between Elephant Ivory and FWI. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts? I know all tonewise is subjective. Just looking for some other opinions. Will leave the pins stock for now. Strap button.........I consider myself handy. Will putting a strap button on the neck area void the warranty. Is this installation frowned upon by purists?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Robekert and welcome to the forum...

Can't tell you the difference between Elephant Ivory or FWI but I would assume they would sound very similar. Just a note, While Bob Colosi's Elephant Ivory is legal to sell in the US, he can't and won't ship it overseas. If you were to take your guitar out of the US, it could be confiscated like the Braziallian Rosewood guitars that are not documented properly with proper entry and exit papers.

As for the strap button, I don't care what "purist's" may say.... I have tried the wrap around the headstock method and hated it. My Taylor and Gibson both have heel strap buttons and I like them just fine. It will not void the warranty, but if you are nervous about doing it, have an experianced luthier/tech at a guitar shop do it. It should not cost anything but the cost of the strap button. My guy in Minneapolis at the Podium never charges to put one in. I like mine on the bottom of the heel and never have a problem with it. Here is the best location in my opinion...

The photo is filpped up but the button would be at the bottom of the heel (treble side of strings)

Strapbolt_location.jpg

FWIW, I prefer Bone for both the Nut and Saddle. I've had Fossilized Walrus and Mammoth Ivory for Saddles on previously owned Guitars and to be honest, I couldn't detect any tone/volume difference between the FMI/FWI and Bone. I wouldn't have Elephant Ivory on my Guitars no matter when it was obtained.

I'm sure for some, having a Strap Button on a Guitar is taboo and a possible deal breaker for resale. I have Strap Buttons on all of my Guitars but someone put them there before I adopted them. No problem, for I believe a Strap Connection at the Heel is the best place to work from. I just don't care for the Headstock Tie.

Thanks for your input Pickax. I asked Bob Colosi his opinion........he gave me a good overview of his offerings. Seems to me he was leaning toward Bone also. The strap button seems to be a funny point. I sold a Guild GAD-50 recently. The strap button is factory installed on the sides near the neck of all their Chinese made guitars. The buyer emailed me when he received the guitar. He was furious. He claimed I did not disclose the location of the mounting. He was going to file a claim with PayPal for an "item not a described" etc. He then relented when I showed him picture after picture of the factory installed strap buttons on the Guild guitars of an online dealer.

Rob

I use a leather wrap around attachment with a wooden toggle, which is inserted into the strap hole.:D

Works great for me.

Great choice of guitar BTW. I've not replaced pins, saddle or nut so can't help there. Post some feedback on your new guitar when you get it.

Hi all' date='

Have my 1st Gibson on order. I am a hacker but trying to get better. I have had an Epiphone Masterbilt 500M that I have been playing. Went to a local shop to buy some strings and saw the Songwriter hanging on the wall. I could hear the Angels Singing. I was awestruck. Sounded great......but you all know that. Got some cash together and decided to buy the Songwriter Deluxe/Cut Away........Rosewood.

Couple of questions. I have upgraded the saddle/pins on the Masterbilt to bone pins and FWI saddle (Bob Colosi). Would like to upgrade the saddle on the Songwriter. I am flipping a coin between Elephant Ivory and FWI. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts? I know all tonewise is subjective. Just looking for some other opinions. Will leave the pins stock for now. Strap button.........I consider myself handy. Will putting a strap button on the neck area void the warranty. Is this installation frowned upon by purists?

Thanks,

Rob[/quote']

Rob,

Firstly big welcome and congratulations on your order,

Several points here all of which really add up to the same thing.

How do you know that you'd like to upgrade the saddle on YOUR songwriter until you've played it. AJ hasn't changed his, I haven't changed mine on my SWD 12. Similarly with the pins.

Who are "the purists" and who cares what they think!

Perhaps "the purists" are folk who collect rather than use an instrument?

I don't know, but I do know that I would not easily alter something I'd worked my guts out for in order to confrom with "THE" greatest fad or fickle!

Wait to you get her, feel her, stroke her, she'll tell you what she needs and if you agree that she needs strap buttons, chocolate buttons, Colosi's or galoshes...... then you will know!

"Playing a guitar id like making love to a beautiful woman! Quote Swiss Tony from the Fast Show

(doubtless some kind soul who knows a bit more about youtube than I do might provide a link)

"Playing a guitar is like making love to a beautiful woman! Quote Swiss Tony from the Fast Show

(doubtless some kind soul who knows a bit more about youtube than I do might provide a link)

A Gibson or a Taylor sure.... I get that, but if the guitar is an Estaban?!?!?! (Give me the beautiful woman any day!)

Firstly big welcome and congratulations on your order' date='

Several points here all of which really add up to the same thing.

How do you kn ow that you'd like to upgrade the saddle on YOUR songwriter until you've played it. AJ hasn't changed his, I haven't changed mine on my SWD 12. Similarly with the pins.

Who are "the purists" and who cares what they think!

Perhaps "the purists" are folk who collect rather than use an instrument? I don't know, but I do know that I would not easily alter something I'd worked my guts out for in order to confrom with "THE" greatest fad or fickle!

Wait to you get her, feel her, stroke her, she'll tell you what she needs and if you agree that she needs strap buttons, chocolate buttons, Colosi's or galoshes...... then you will know!

"Playing a guitar id like making love to a beautiful woman! Quote Swiss Tony from the Fast Show

(doubtless some kind soul who knows a bit more about youtube than I do might provide a link)[/quote']

British sensibility comes to the fore once again. Sound advice Johnt. Thanks for the welcome. My wife and I did not "decorate" our house until we lived in it for a while. After living in the house certain needs became obvious. A bit of cart before the horse, guilty as charged.

Thanks,

Rob

A Gibson or a Taylor sure.... I get that' date=' but if the guitar is an Estaban?!?!?! (Give me the beautiful woman any day!)[/quote']

OK Paul

you got me!

BUT the Estaban is such good value (apparently) that one could afford to maintain a beautiful woman or three as long, of course, as you changed their pins to bone and their tusqs to saddles.

BUT the Estaban is such good value (apparently) that one could afford to maintain a beautiful woman or three as long' date=' of course, as you changed their pins to bone and their tusqs to saddles.[/quote']

My brother bought an Estaban Guitar as a starter guitar for my son. Thought it would be a nice gift (my brother also plays). Upon receiving it he tried it out.............I will not quote him, there may be young children present, but he did not think much of the guitar. He said the action was so high he could not imagine anyone being able to play the guitar. The action was only the tip of the iceberg. Got my son a Masterbilt instead. Lesson learned.

Rob

My brother bought an Estaban Guitar as a starter guitar for my son. Thought it would be a nice gift (my brother also plays). Upon receiving it he tried it out.............I will not quote him' date=' there may be young children present, but he did not think much of the guitar. He said the action was so high he could not imagine anyone being able to play the guitar. The action was only the tip of the iceberg. Got my son a Masterbilt instead. Lesson learned.

Rob[/quote']

Yes the power of the "guitar idol" In my day in the UK it was Bert Weedon!

Reading what you write you need to talk to cunkhead, when he wakes up, he owned an SWd and has now gone the Masterbilt route.

BTW, I did not mean to sound negative in mr previous post, I just am so sick of what hearing the "purists think"

In fairness, and in my experience on THIS section of the forum, people are genuingly helpful. I agonised for months before changing the string guage from 010 to 012 on my J45, and when I took the plunge, the forum was correct.

In the main this forum consists of players some good (they will not name themselves) and some crap ( at which point I stand up to the plate) and you will find great advice.

All best

John

Yes the power of the "guitar idol" In my day in the UK it was Bert Weedon!

Reading what you write you need to talk to cunkhead' date=' when he wakes up, he owned an SWd and has now gone the Masterbilt route.

BTW, I did not mean to sound negative in mr previous post, I just am so sick of what hearing the "purists think"

In fairness, and in my experience on THIS section of the forum, people are genuingly helpful. I agonised for months before changing the string guage from 010 to 012 on my J45, and when I took the plunge, the forum was correct.

In the main this forum consists of players some good (they will not name themselves) and some crap ( at which point I stand up to the plate) and you will find great advice.

All best

John

[/quote']

Don't sweat it, no offense taken. I have lurked on this forum for a while. Found the advice and insights to be helpful. My use of the term "purists" was a bit tongue in cheek. I was just primarily concerned with voiding the warranty. Don't really know how many people actually have to use the warranty though. Two Grand represents a lot of money for me. I guess I just need someone to hold my hand and tell me "It is going to be alright".

SWD to Masterbilt.........Hmmm. I seem to be going in the opposite direction.

Rob

Hey JohnT' date=' I consider myself a purist. But, my philosophy is: change anything you want, as long as it can be changed back to original with no evidence that any mods were ever made.[/quote']

You spoiling for "battle" again GB?

Yes but I guess your style of purism (if there is such a noun in English, if not use the American LOL) is OK by me.

You playing again yet?

Yes but I guess your style of purism (if there is such a noun in English' date=' if not use the American LOL) is OK by me.[/quote']

purism [pyoor-iz-uhm]

–noun

1. strict observance of or insistence on purity in language, style, etc.

The internet makes me look like a genius to my children.

You playing again yet?

Rob, sorry for the minor hijack.

Yes, I can get about 45min in before it starts hurting.

Still off the bike. That I really miss. I find out after the holidays if/when I can get back in the saddle. Thanks for asking.

Rob' date=' sorry for the minor hijack.

Yes, I can get about 45min in before it starts hurting.

Still off the bike. That I really miss. I find out after the holidays if/when I can get back in the saddle. Thanks for asking.[/quote']

No biggie. I like to view forums as a bunch of guys (ladies too) sitting around smoking a cigar, drink of choice, shootin' the sh#t. Free flow of conversation.

gearbasher.........I assume you ride bikes as opposed to BIKES. One of my other hobbies is photography. I enjoyed shooting local races. I am outside Philly. The Philly Bike race is a highlight of the summer. Check out some of my photos:

http://web.mac.com/robekert/iWeb/Rob%20Eckert/Welcome.html

purism [pyoor-iz-uhm]

–noun

1. strict observance of or insistence on purity in language' date=' style, etc.

The internet makes me look like a genius to my children.

[/quote']

You are correct, I looked it up too and missed that (damn)

My kids have left home so I don't use the internet.

No biggie. I like to view forums as a bunch of guys (ladies too) sitting around smoking a cigar' date=' drink of choice, shootin' the sh#t. Free flow of conversation.

gearbasher.........I assume you ride bikes as opposed to BIKES. One of my other hobbies is photography. I enjoyed shooting local races. I am outside Philly. The Philly Bike race is a highlight of the summer. Check out some of my photos:

http://web.mac.com/robekert/iWeb/Rob%20Eckert/Welcome.html

[/quote']

Hey Rob,

Those are some nice shots of the Crit. Now, I'm really itching to get back on the bike. I read your Journal, concerning the race. You mentioned not taking photos of the fallen riders. I may be "different" but I would have liked photos of the falll (and the aftermath) that has kept me off the bike for four months.

Another funny thing, I used to be really into photography, also. That is, untill I took a photography course in college. Then it became work and it wasn't fun anymore. I haven't taken any photos (other than pics of my guitars, bikes and weddings etc.) in over 25 years.

Archived