Gibson Brands Forums

335 AND 339 owners

simon_62

Just after a fair comparison of the two models from people who own both if possible. Im selling off my PRS245 to get one of the models as my head is just in a place where i "need" a semi-hollow tone lol!!! Ive heard that the 339's arent exactly a 335 but im not too fussed as the sc245 i have is a frickin' beaut so i would be happy to keep a similar tone anyway!

Cheers

ps, was there ever a CS-339? Ive been offered a plaintop one in a direct trade but have a feeling the owner may be confused between an ES339 and a CS336?

pps, heres what im selling to get one..... :-k

SC245MSBTGOa.jpg

SC245MSBTGOc.jpg

The ES-339 is a Custom Shop guitar. Perhaps that's what he meant by CS?

I've never owned a 335, but played some. The ES-339 just suited me best. I like the slightly smaller body. I gig bars in the U.S.A., mostly smaller 150/300 seat clubs. I've gigged Les Paul, S.G., Strats, Teles, ect., and the 339 is my #1 now. It just works best, I like everything about it.

Best of luck.

Murph.

lol, no offence but thats a bit subjective!?! i know the main issue with guitars is personal preference but unfortunately i dont have the option to try a CS/ES-339 against a 335 as the nearest dealer that has both in stock is 6 hours drive away! :P

Simon,

Different construction, but similar in size guitars. it is tough buying one without playing at least a sample, but such is the internet life today. i have two links below just to show you the differences and what the approximate difference in prices are. you can still negotiate.

personally i would not sell the prs. if you can keep it and still get what you want that is the way to go. unless you just don't like the prs. i have two prs's, custom 24, and a spruce top hollow body (a fabulous guitar) and they are no issue top quality guitars (as you know).

I own a CS 356, the approximate size, shape of the 339, but i believe the same construction as the 359, solid piece of mahogany, for the sides and back with a maple top, great size and sound, with no feedback issues.

Personally for an all around jazz, blues, rock guitar, i think the 335 is the standard, and i think the size is just right, nothing wrong with the size of the 339, 359, 356, in fact i think gibson uses this as a selling point, closer to the size of a les paul. but my opinion/recommendation is a 335, or better yet a 345, no bias here.

oh, that prs you have is a beauty.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=es+339

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=es+359

I compared both to pick the one I liked the best. The 339 simply did not sound as good as the 335' date=' so I bought the 335. It was really no contest. The 335 felt better too. [/quote']

Thats so funny and illustrates just how subjective this decision is because I would make exactly the opposite comments from the one above. I've owned 335s in the past and also when I found the 339s in my local store I compared both to pick the one I liked best. The 335 "simply did not sound as good" as the 339 to me, so I bought the 339. No contest. The 339 felt better too for the neck, body size and general playability.

I own a number of gibsons and other guitars and the 339 is one of my two favorites (the other is my goldtop Les Paul). In my opinion gibson really hit a winner with the 339 there is so much about it that appeals to me.

PS, that is one of the most BEAUTIFUL prs singlecuts I've seen. DO NOT GET RID OF IT!!!!

:-k

Simon,

If all 335s (and, without bias, 345s) sounded the same and had the same neck etc and all 339s sounded the same, and were always played through a standard amplifier playing standard songs, it might be possible to give you a definitive answer. Fortunately each guitar has its own character, amplifiers are not standard and we all play different music.

About the only thing one can say with any certainty is that the 335 body is bigger than that of the PRS and this may or may not suit you in ergonomic terms.

The 335 should have a bit more low end and midrange than the 339 because of the body size but the extent to which this is true will vary from one model to another. Even if you are after this warmer tone, you might find that the 339 offers enough of it if you do not want to be playing a larger guitar.

I prefer to play out (jazz) with my 345 because of its big warm tone but will often practice with a (short-scale) Tele because it is a bit less guitar.

Given that you are thinking about unloading your PRS and spending a good amount of dough, my advice is that you really need to try out a representative sample of each of these models before making any decisions.

Is it an option to fly to New York?

RN

PS Have you thought about a 345 as another option?

Simon' date='

If all 335s (and, without bias, 345s) sounded the same and had the same neck etc and all 339s sounded the same, and were always played through a standard amplifier playing standard songs, it might be possible to give you a definitive answer. Fortunately each guitar has its own character, amplifiers are not standard and we all play different music.

About the only thing one can say with any certainty is that the 335 body is bigger than that of the PRS and this may or may not suit you in ergonomic terms.

The 335 should have a bit more low end and midrange than the 339 because of the body size but the extent to which this is true will vary from one model to another. Even if you are after this warmer tone, you might find that the 339 offers enough of it if you do not want to be playing a larger guitar.

I prefer to play out (jazz) with my 345 because of its big warm tone but will often practice with a (short-scale) Tele because it is a bit less guitar.

Given that you are thinking about unloading your PRS and spending a good amount of dough, my advice is that you really need to try out a representative sample of each of these models before making any decisions.

[b']Is it an option to fly to New York?[/b]

RN

PS Have you thought about a 345 as another option?

I met a Welshman in a guitar store in NYC (Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island) and he said that the money he saved by buying a guitar here was enough to pay for his round trip plane fare.

He was also buying a second guitar as a present and that was saving him enough to spend a few vacation days in NYC, before returning to the UK.

Just something for you to think about......

esch:

I am glad you brought up your observations too, which contradict mine. The important thing to a potential buyer is that they are different guitars and really should be handled and tried. I do like the 339, though, and agree that it should be an enduring winner in the Gibson line. It's a very good idea, too.

esch:

I am glad you brought up your observations too' date=' which contradict mine. The important thing to a potential buyer is that they are different guitars and really should be handled and tried. I do like the 339, though, and agree that it should be an enduring winner in the Gibson line. It's a very good idea, too.

[/quote']

Thanks rudy, & BTW I wasnt trying to be a jerk, I thought it was interesting to contrast our opinions that way. to illustrate how subjective it really is. They're both great guitars for sure.

Yes all the ES guitars are made in the "Memphis Custom" shop except the Historic 335's are made in the Nashville Custom Shop. Some might say Nashville is the real custom shop and the other place is just under the same corporate umbrella. Not a knock, of course, I love my 339 even though I didn't add much weight to the CS decal on the back of the headstock. Well crafted guitars. I can't say I was as impressed with the fit and finish of the "Gibson USA" models like the Les Paul Standard or Traditional.

Archived