Gibson Brands Forums

Qualities of a good fuzz

krock

I was talking with a friend last night and we were discussing what fuzz's we each liked. I'm a fan of fairly smooth, creamy fuzz tones where as he's partial to a rip your face style very harsh fuzz. So what do you guys look for in fuzz pedals? I tend to run my rams head clone with a tube screamer type pedal in front to boost mids and help to EQ the sound a bit more

Guest Farnsbarns

Blendable input caps so I can go from creamy to ice pick. Also, a blendable smoothing cap across the collector and emitter of the second transister which increases/decreases splutter. This means using 4 pots, assuming you also have fuzz and volume controls.

Personal favourites...

For smooth fizzy fuzz...Behringer Hot Metal...dirt cheap and highly usable with much mid scoop adjustability... [thumbup]

For strong grainy fuzz...EHX Big Muff

With a banded EQ inline after both for shaping... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

I like a fuzz that can distort the note without destroying it's initial pitch and resonance and also allows you to play chords so that one or two notes don't overpower the others.The fuzz also should be able to sustain almost infinitely and help achieve feedback that comes out in the same key as the note played but an octave or two above when you use pinch harmonics and even without in some conditions,the original Big Muff Pi and Arbiter Fuzz Face were capable of doing all of these things.

Archived