Gibson Brands Forums

Feeling pretty good

davidl

I was just contacted through facebook today by the younger sister (Susie) of an old friend.

When I was 17 or 18 (I'm 50 now) my friends'little sister was trying to learn guitar but had a borrowed piece of junk to learn on. She showed promise and obviously loved guitar. At the time I was playing mostly electric (still a beginner myself)so decided to give my Takamine acoustic to Susie and showed her some stuff like basic major chords and barre chords. We lost touch soon after.

It turns out she has been playing pretty much ever since and taught her daughter at 8 years old how to play a bit. The daughter (now 16) has just been accepted at a college in Montreal to study music and is getting a 12 string acoustic for her birthday in July.

What a great feeling when Susie told me how much she appreciated me giving her that first guitar and giving encouragement.

It wasn't that big a deal to me at the time but as it turns out, it was a huge deal for her. It just seemed like the right thing to do to me.

I gave away my Peavey half stack to another friends daughter a few years ago and she is now in University on a full scholarship.

Warm and fuzzy all over.

Dave

I was just contacted through facebook today by the younger sister (Susie) of an old friend.

When I was 17 or 18 (I'm 50 now) my friends'little sister was trying to learn guitar but had a borrowed piece of junk to learn on. She showed promise and obviously loved guitar. At the time I was playing mostly electric (still a beginner myself)so decided to give my Takamine acoustic to Susie and showed her some stuff like basic major chords and barre chords. We lost touch soon after.

It turns out she has been playing pretty much ever since and taught her daughter at 8 years old how to play a bit. The daughter (now 16) has just been accepted at a college in Montreal to study music and is getting a 12 string acoustic for her birthday in July.

What a great feeling when Susie told me how much she appreciated me giving her that first guitar and giving encouragement.

It wasn't that big a deal to me at the time but as it turns out, it was a huge deal for her. It just seemed like the right thing to do to me.

I gave away my Peavey half stack to another friends daughter a few years ago and she is now in University on a full scholarship.

Warm and fuzzy all over.

Dave

That was a nice thing to do on both of your sides Dave. So often a little kindness or generous gesture means so much more to the person on the receiving end than we might realize at the time. But it was great that you had a chance to see how much it has meant to Susie for so many years afterwards. Your act of kindness has gone on for her daughter which makes it so much bigger than when it started. You have a right to feel great about something like that. Good on ya'!!

+1

GB

Archived