Gibson Brands Forums

Collectors Choice Tom Scholz 1968 Les Paul Aged

GibSinCity

Hello!

With all my respects to Mr. Scholz - I highly admire Him! It's not about Him, rather to Gibson: just remove the great player's name and forget the aging (I mean lower the price by 7000 USD), and it's an instant hit!

Wonderful instrument, with the P90/Humbucker combination, that many of us love around here at Forums.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

I think, I should express myself more accurately.

I accept, - and in fact appreciate - that Gibson honors great players with Signature/Artist/Inspired by models. Myself, did push them many times to create commemorative models, like a Randy Rhoads Custom, a Steve Clark Signature... even tough, I don't think I will ever be able to afford one of these. The existence of such very expensive models doesn't bug me. Just because I can't, - probably - there are many who will/would buy them, and these models - in turn - bring big money to Gibson. I also understand that the higher price adds to the exclusivity of an item...it is what it is.

What I am trying to say that the guitar itself is still a Les Paul Standard, which would cost somewhere in the 2500 USD range... Just make one without all the aging, with the contemporary article and call it a simple Standard for the wider public too.

Cheers... Bence

Here's a thought...

Firstly it's important that you agree that with the paleness of the maple cap the body binding isn't all that noticeable, right?

The neck binding, admittedly would pose a bit of a problem. Let's brush this difficulty under the carpet for now.....

Anyhow!

Buy a P-90 Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute.

Sand off the finish down to the bare maple cap. At the sides the part of the Maple cap which is visible will give the illusion of body binding!

Hack out a humbucker-sized hole in the bridge position and install a creme-bobbin'd DiMarzio.

Fit a set of mirror-knobs.

Whack it about the head a bit with an adjustable wrench. Schallers could be added if desired and 'Kluson' holes made with something appropriately sharp and pointy.

Voila! An instrument virtually indistinguishable from the Tom Scholz version but delivering a saving of around $8,000 and the added satisfaction that you did all the modification/relic work yourself!

[smile]

P.

The trouble with the $10K Gibsons are that they sit in cases and are handled with white gloves. I agree with Donny and Bence that a working-man's model (without exact placement of every screw hole and cigarette burn) would be appreciated by those who actually play their guitars.

In this case here, a clear maple top with a HB/P90 combo would be a cool guitar to have.

I'm not a fan of the sanded maple top myself but, just for fun, here's a (poor quality, I'm afraid) snap of someone else who thought stripping the 'burst off was a good idea.

No prizes for guessing who but he used this one, among others, from '69-on...

KossstrippedtopLP_zps2fb058dd.jpg

P.

Congrats on the technological breakthrough! I can phone with my phone and that's about it....lol!

Didn't mean this thread to be derailed from Tom Scholtz but anyhow;

As far as the guitar goes it was being weilded by the late, great Paul Kossoff.

Here's the very show from which the snap was culled;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S34C_b3Ufrg

What I find surprising is how it managed to become so knackered so quickly! I mean, it could only have been around 12 years old....

P.

Was that kind of a trend to strip the top of les pauls back then?

Hello Donny!

As far as I know, it first started with Goldtops. Many didn't like them, and sanded the top to bare wood. Doings so beautiful maple caps were discovered. Gibson responded to this trend by introducing the sunburst Standard in 1958.

Then there were those players like Mick Ronson who did the same thing with His Black Beauty. He believed it sounded better without the finish. Billy Duffy of Cult did that too, but later admitted it didn't affected the tone of the guitar in any way.

Others have removed the original (Goldtop) finish, but repainted their instruments: Rick Derringer (Clapton/Harrison "Lucy") and Dickey Betts. Both painted their guitars red.

Cheers... Bence

Archived