Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a good Music Theory resource...

burdger

So, I've been playing guitar for a bit now, and I feel like I'm getting much better. However, it feels like something is missing, and I think it's the theory part. I've been looking for a good book or other resource that can give a thorough understanding of guitar music theory. I've looked at my local Guitar Center and Barnes & Nobles, but all I find are the "For Dummies" books or "a quick, easy guide to music theory" type of books. Anyone have any recommendations for something that would be more thorough?

Thanks in advance.

I know you asked for books.. But really Youtube has all the lessons you could ask for and then some.. Plus the added bonus of actually seeing someone do it in practice :)

So, I've been playing guitar for a bit now, and I feel like I'm getting much better. However, it feels like something is missing, and I think it's the theory part. I've been looking for a good book or other resource that can give a thorough understanding of guitar music theory. I've looked at my local Guitar Center and Barnes & Nobles, but all I find are the "For Dummies" books or "a quick, easy guide to music theory" type of books. Anyone have any recommendations for something that would be more thorough?

Thanks in advance.

tired of hal leonard and mel bay ... Play Guitar In 10 Easy Lessons by Jon Buck, Octopus publishing 2006. It's about as comprehensive as you can find without becoming complex. covers all basic theory well, intuitive without boring. most music shops won't carry this title, i discovered it in the public library and bought a copy at Chapters (Canada).

Archived