Gibson Brands Forums

Different strings on the guitar

Hey, maybe I have a stupid question.

Today I have restringed my guitar. I use Pyramid Gold Flatwounds 10 cauge. On the process, the high E string is broken. The problem is, that I have no further strings from this type.

Now I have taken a normal nickel string 10 cauge. Is it okay??? I mean, the both high strings are not wound and it make no big difference. Is it right? I ordered new sets of these strings but the delivery is next week.

The sound is good. Nothing to complain about.

Thank you very much.

Yes, the others are correct.

Although there may be slight differences between one brand of unwound B and E strings, I never could tell the difference if they were the same gauge.

In fact, when I played in rock bands many years ago, I always had extra B and E strings because they tended to break often. The brand made no difference, the gauge did.

Today I carry a spare set of strings with each of my guitars. I have never broken a bass string, but... things can happen.

m

If its any consolation... I used to mix brands constantly. Playing a pedal steel in a town that doesn't sell them or their accessories meant I had to "cobble" together sets when I changed them. I used some off the wall strings just because the gauges were more important than anything. About the only thing I didn't mix was phosphor bronze with nickel. Gibson, Fender, D'Addario, GHS, Ernie Ball, and even the dreaded Black Diamond... If I needed a particular gauge... brand didn't matter. Now I simply order complete sets off the net.

Archived