Gibson Brands Forums

Scratches through nitro finish

newb

Hi,

I was at the store looking at Gibson LPJ, there are two both with different aesthetic flaws. One has a deep scratch by the nut where the security tag was, the second has some surface scratches on the top (through the nitro finish). My question is, are these light nitro finishes very easy to scratch? Basically, if I go for the one with the scratch by the nut and then I'm very likely to get scratches on the top due to the finish, I might as well buy the one with scratches on the top without the damage by the nut.

Thanks,

I hope that wasn't too confusing :)

From the Gibson LPJ webpage - [The guitar has] "a cool worn-look finish technique" ...

Glossy or satin, when you have "worn" of "faded" in the factory finish description, the finish can be pretty thin depending on the model. As Cjsinla mentioned, those types of finishes "show wear quickly". The nitro and the paint can be pretty thin. In fact some guitars will come with factory made "wear". I recall a few complaints about the Tribute LPs (maybe the 50s) from buyers that didn't understand what a "worn" finish is and some were "worn" more than others. "Relic" is taking this type of finish to the extreme.

Gibson sometimes uses "worn" and "faded" finishes to help hit lower price points on some models.

Archived