Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 339 or the Gibson 335?

Fred Bear

Just noticed no one's responded to you, I can't speak of the 335 other than i've always found the body just a bit too big for my tastes. I have a 339 and think it's an amazing guitar. Very comfy, very resonant and I can get a good mix of tones out of it........heres a photo to tempt you!

460b5374-6f18-4fb6-a355-8b7b1e06742d_zps46e9c2c0.jpg

Exactly what Plus Top Dan said. The 335 was too big. I had a couple of the first run 339's and loved them so I custom ordered one. The color looks different in person.

339_001.jpg

Both great guitars Fred, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with either, but when faced with the same choice, I chose the 335 simply because I liked the sound better. The smaller body on the 339 is a big advantage, but already having two Les Pauls, I came to the conclusion that the 339 was not significantly different from a Les Paul.

Ultimately, it depends which you like best, but I would recommend that you play as many examples of both guitars as possible, because I found that the difference between one 335 and the next one was quite marked, far greater than the difference between two Les Pauls.

Good Luck,

Ian.

I went with the 335 because it was the most amazing sounding guitar I have ever played. Size? not an issue. Mine is the Nashville '59 Dot Historic Reissue. Set up is great and it plays like a dream. The '57 Classic humbuckers sound really great in this guitar.

IMG_0430.jpg

I go with the 335... [thumbup]

IMO a 'right first time' design which has captivated more and more players since first release...

It and it's 'sister' the 330 cover a huge tonal spectrum

And IMO getting one's hands around a large guitar like this makes every playing period special...

V

:-({|=

I go with the 335... [thumbup]

IMO a 'right first time' design which has captivated more and more players since first release...

It and it's 'sister' the 330 cover a huge tonal spectrum

And IMO getting one's hands around a large guitar like this makes every playing period special...

V

:-({|=

PS...Such a good post it came up twice... [thumbup]

Both great guitars Fred, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with either, but when faced with the same choice, I chose the 335 simply because I liked the sound better. The smaller body on the 339 is a big advantage, but already having two Les Pauls, I came to the conclusion that the 339 was not significantly different from a Les Paul.

Ultimately, it depends which you like best, but I would recommend that you play as many examples of both guitars as possible, because I found that the difference between one 335 and the next one was quite marked, far greater than the difference between two Les Pauls.

Good Luck,

Ian.

Completely agree with ^this^! And I just like the sound of 335s a little better.

I went with the 335 because it was the most amazing sounding guitar I have ever played. Size? not an issue. Mine is the Nashville '59 Dot Historic Reissue. Set up is great and it plays like a dream. The '57 Classic humbuckers sound really great in this guitar.

IMG_0430.jpg

I agree with this, and have the same Nashville '59 Dot Historic Reissue in vintage cherry. It's a great guitar, an absolute classic.

The size is no issue to me, as the body is only about 1.75" thick. (Note that I also play several 16" flat tops and a full-depth 17" L-7 archtop.)

Here's my ES 335, along with its sibling, a 1968 ES 335-12:

ES335sisters.jpg

Tough decision! I've got a 335 and it's definitely got it's pros and cons. It does tend to feedback a little more than I would like with high volumes and gain, but I love the huge open sound I get from it. That being said, I'm hoping to add a 339 to my collection very soon. I find the 339 is a little more comfortable to play since it doesn't dig into your ribs quite as much while sitting down.

Archived