Gibson Brands Forums

Tony R's 35 D 28

JuanCarlosVejar

Just out of curiosity, how big is bluegrass still in the US ?

I got almost decapitated on the AGF by the Martin army when I suggested bluegrass is a dying genre, especially in Europe. I pointed out that I know a lot of muso friends and they pretty much every style under the moon except bluegrass. It seems like something from the past or perhaps relevant to some regions in the US.

So, from us more balanced Gibson folks, is bluegrass still thriving and well in the US ?

And ... why is it called 'bluegrass' ?

I pointed out that I know a lot of muso friends and they pretty much every style under the moon except bluegrass. It seems like something from the past or perhaps relevant to some regions in the US.

Pretty true, I've only came across a few bands that would typically be labelled 'bluegrass' in the past, however, given that Mumford and Sons have pretty much rebirthed the genre in the UK / Europe over the past few years, I'd say there's probably loads out there right now, with their tatty chimneysweep look and whatnot...

So, from us more balanced Gibson folks, is bluegrass still thriving and well in the US ?

Probably massive, but not a lot of money in it... kinda chinstrokey in places as a genre really, isn't it?

Monsanto and their GMO crops I guess....... down with them I say.... ;)

Oooohhh, that guitar sounds gooood. A 28, yes – but with what seems to be a 35 fretboard.

And old pictures from before White's hair grew out, show it had that neck (and the bigger hole) forever.

You are one lucky man to have played it JT.

I'm sure you would tell us if the dread have 3-piece back. Then again you do know anything about the bracing.

Thanx for posting JCV - you do the job of an excellent track-hound for clips like these ,-)

Nick's link provides a lot of info about the guitar. The Fretboard Journal story provides even more. It's a modified D-28 with characteristic mid 1930s bracing.

I'd arranged once to x-ray it but the scheduling didn't quite work out for Tony. I'll try again.

Kentucky is known as the Bluegrass State.

Bill Monroe named his band the Bluegrass Boys.

His band set the standard for the musical format.

After rock & roll in the '60s,

I became quite hooked on bluegrass

and saw Monroe perform in a small venue.

Incredibly tight band, always with top musicians.

And in particular, loved the blues influence he

worked into many of the songs he wrote.

Still one of my favorite styles of music.

Just for fun, give a listen to Monroe's original

Rocky Road Blues from the '40s, with accordion.

Oooohhh, that guitar sounds gooood. A 28, yes – but with what seems to be a 35 fretboard.

And old pictures from before White's hair grew out, show it had that neck (and the bigger hole) forever.

You are one lucky man to have played it JT.

I'm sure you would tell us if the dread have 3-piece back. Then again you do know anything about the bracing.

Thanx for posting JCV - you do the job of an excellent track-hound for clips like these ,-)

always a pleasure EM7 =)

JC

Nick's link provides a lot of info about the guitar. The Fretboard Journal story provides even more. It's a modified D-28 with characteristic mid 1930s bracing.

I'd arranged once to x-ray it but the scheduling didn't quite work out for Tony. I'll try again.

The X-ray would be a scoop -

A very interesting read. 2 things make me wonder.

The guitar had an extended but shorter fingerboard ?

That the polio touched woman had beaten the top to frays ?

Then from seeing an early pic it's obvious that the board had dots in the beginning. Wonder when this was changed.

Apparently nothing was ever done to the bracing – okay, maybe a single reglue or two, but nothing worth mentioning.

An AMAZING guitar it is – and surely one of the big acoustic individuals on the planet.

I played a contemporary replica this winter (on the trip where my hearing got attacked).

It sounded good and clearly had roots in the original – even with a modern bridge in compressed paper or something.

JT – can you confirm the article where it's said that the dread actually isn't that loud. It contradicts the clip where they say there's almost no limit to its volume.

This thread jumps all over the place! I seem to remember that the fretboard on Tony's D-28 is a Gretsch replacement put on before he got the guitar or maybe just after he acquired it. Is bluegrass still alive? I'd say so, by quite a long shot. Here in Colorado it's everywhere and when I go to North Carolina it's everywhere too. Not so much in Texas where the musical tradition is so varied over time, but the influence is felt to this day. I get kinda tired of hearing endless versions of Salt Creek or Sally Goodin and the deedle e dee of bluegrass wears on my ears which is why I donate to the local music festival and support gypsy jazz. Telluride seems to gobble up just about every genre of music it can with the bluegrass festival (which isn't strictly bluegrass) and the Blues and Brews thing they have going. But I love acoustic music in just about every form. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. And I always heard that Tony's loss of voice was too much of a bad thing. Oh my generation and its excesses.

Archived