Gibson Brands Forums

Juiced up my EJ-200 Artist

20_Gauge

Had been kickin' around getting an Acoustic-Electric for awhile but couldn't see mee dishin' out $250+ for a quality one. Finally the logical/practical side(wow, didn't know I had one [laugh] ) of my brain won out & I decided to get a Seymour Duncan Soundhole p'up(http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SA3HC/).

2013-06-18_16-42-05_650_zps161ee6d0.jpg

Just put it in & strummed a few chords, running it through my Fender Mustang, & to me it sounds pretty impressive. I tried w/ a Clean Country preset & Country Overdrive setting(both w/ a fair amountof Gain dialed in), the Volume knob & Master knob were both between 4 & 5 and it boomed in my small bedroom! I think if I cranked both those up to 10, it could do serious damage haha.

I did hafta cranked the Treble & Bass knobs to 10(not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it) but that oculd just be that the p'up was too far from the strings.

So that bein' said, anybody else have this p'up? Thoughts?

Now that is a great looking guitar...and a genius of an idea getting a sound hole pick. I use those also and love them. I can now have my cake and eat it too! I own pure acoustics but can still use them ALL for amp work! And if you ever choose to upgrade sound hole pick up, you can always do so easily with no modifications....I use some of the more expensive ones found in the link, but I know yours works very well for less.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search.jsp?sB=r&Ntt=rare+earth+pick+up

Now that is a great looking guitar...and a genius of an idea getting a sound hole pick. I use those also and love them. I can now have my cake and eat it too! I own pure acoustics but can still use them ALL for amp work! And if you ever choose to upgrade sound hole pick up, you can always do so easily with no modifications....I use some of the more expensive ones found in the link, but I know yours works very well for less.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search.jsp?sB=r&Ntt=rare+earth+pick+up

Thanks GL! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Yeah I really didn't wanna make any major adjustments to my EJ, not to mention fork out the $$ for those upgrades. Yeah this is the the best of both worlds, I can plug it into my Mustang & dial in distortion & gain or it can be easily removed to go pure Acoustic.

I watched a few YouTube vid reviews of the Woody & was sold on it sound & I discussed it w/ my sweetwater.com tech(he worked in Music industry for 10 yrs in Nashville) & he said for $50 the Woody is a steal. Having spent the day experimentin' w/ it, he was right.

I've noticed some of the more expensive soundhole p'ups(look like the li'l black Fishman type, the ones in the link) on Acoustic when watching Country videos. Might upgrade one day but right now I'm thrilled.

I think I had a Dean Markley once. Used it a bunch back in the late 90's.

I wonder where it is......... ?

Cool Murph! [thumbup]

Yeah I looked @ the Dean Markley line but went w/ the SD line 'cause of brand recognition, didn't know much about the DM line. It was a toss-up though to be honest.

I head a Dean Markley as well, eventually I installed a Fishman.

But these are cool they do the job, sound good they not expensive and no mods required [thumbup]

I found tho that they do get in the way occasionally, but it's workable.

I head a Dean Markley as well, eventually I installed a Fishman.

But these are cool they do the job, sound good they not expensive and no mods required [thumbup]

I found tho that they do get in the way occasionally, but it's workable.

Teh "no mod" part(& the low price tag of course) is what sold me. Didn't want to permanently alter my EJ, like the fact that I can easily remove it & go pure acoustic.

Yeah very workable, not really had a problem w/ it gettin' in the way........yet.

Cool Murph! [thumbup]

Yeah I looked @ the Dean Markley line but went w/ the SD line 'cause of brand recognition, didn't know much about the DM line. It was a toss-up though to be honest.

Smart move I had a Dean Markley (Woody) and was very disappointed in it. I have a Lace now, I thinks it made by Semore Duncan.

Smart move I had a Dean Markley (Woody) and was very disappointed in it. I have a Lace now, I thinks it made by Semore Duncan.

Cool!

Yeah, I tend to go with the more recognizable brand when I'm choosin' a product, I kept seein' Seymour Duncans mentioned(in forums) as bein' tops in p'ups.

I've used a number of soundhole pups before AE as we know it was something I could find back in the early-mid '70s. Still have a 12 with a soundhole mag pup.

I think they got a bad name in the '50s. A friend has an early '50s Gibbie that came with one and he and it sound fine plugged through his PA or just over coffee up close.

m

Archived