Gibson Brands Forums

Baggs M80 or Lyric for Gibson AJ at Open Mics with Poor PA/Sound Guy

paganskins

I've a Gibson Advanced Jumbo incoming.

I've narrowed my pickup choices down to the Baggs M80 or Lyric. Due to the through saddle bridge USTs are out.

I'm only playing open mics at the moment so I need a plug and play setup which will sound OK with little or no tweaking and be as bad PA, inexperienced soundman and feedback proof as possible.

I play a fairly busy strumming/flatpicking type of style with higher position chord voicings combined with open strings in standard and open/alt tunings.

I'm leaning towards the M80 as the lyric samples I've heard though sounding more natural than the M80 are a bit on the brittle side. The M80 sounds less natural but more robust plus I've had good experience previously with a M1.

Perhaps the lyric's presence control can tame the brittleness and put it ahead of the M80?

I'd be interested in hearing field reports from similar playing situations.

I have little experience with other pick up systems, but I had the Trance Amulet installed in my AJ. I chose it because I have no experience and it is what Gibson put in their top line. I am very happy with it. I play once in a while gigs with an acoustic group, another guitar, harp, mandolin and upright bass. We have our own PA but have played places where we had to use existing sound. I have been pleased with how true it sounds.

There are other good systems, I'm sure. I just don't have enough experience with them.

I've had the Seymour Duncan mag mic soundhole pickup in my J-45, and swapped it out for a Lyric - so far its been pretty bullet proof. The M-80 has positive reviews too, so they are both valid choices - but I like the lyric. +1 on the Trance though, I have two and am about to add a third.

I've had the Seymour Duncan mag mic soundhole pickup in my J-45, and swapped it out for a Lyric - so far its been pretty bullet proof. The M-80 has positive reviews too, so they are both valid choices - but I like the lyric. +1 on the Trance though, I have two and am about to add a third.

very interested to hear your thoughts on the lyric versus the trance....

LR Baggs Anthem SL. Internal mic and peizo. Balance can be adjusted between either. I have had all of the above and this is my choice for multi- application. The Lyric looses volume in high noise venues. My second choice would be the Trance Amulet for sure. Good luck.

GT

Archived