Gibson Brands Forums

This bridge is upside down!

Bliggick

My linkGot this deal on a Regent but there is a problem. The bridge is upside down! It is not as simple fix as just flipping it over because the slots are cut for it being on this way. The dealer is ordering me a new bridge. Makes you wonder how they could make such a mistake. And it's not just my guitar. I made a Google image search and almost half the pictures where I could see the bridge they were upside down. Most embarrassing of all is if you go to the Epiphone web site and find the Regent in the Out of Production section and you click on the picture for Regent Electronics and you will see this bridge is upside down too!

I put a Gotoh bridge on my Sheraton. I put it on "upside down". Why would I do such a thing? Because if I put it on "right side up" the G and low E saddles would be at the limit of travel. You see a lot of bridges "upside down" because a lot of guys don't agree that there is any "right or wrong" in this application. You do what works.

....and some don't even know how a bridge on a Regent looks like...... [lol]

there're no saddles - and you'll have a hard time to fit a Gotoh bridge

with or without rocket science

](*,)

Check your attitude at the door

Hmmm, somewhere up the thread someone mentioned a Sheraton...That's where I got the T-O-M thingy from...my bad. Anyway,funny thing is, I've got a Epi Emperor Regent...I don't think my bridge is "upside down"...It plays in tune and intonation is good throughout. I think you just need to check the position of your bridge as they can move around. Good Luck

Sorry about the Flickr link not working; my Photobucket account doesn't work for me anymore or else I would have put the pictures there. But if you look on the Epiphone website like I mentioned you'll see that the bridge is upside down; just go to "Products", "Out of Production", "Emporer Regent", "Electronics"; you might need a magnifying glass like I did, but it is upside down. Physics doesn't change, it should be four in a line for the wound strings (the G is intended to be wound) then a shift back towards the tailpiece for the two plain strings. This is Luthier 101 knowledge and it's hard to fathom Epiphone could make this mistake so many times on this model.

Sorry about the Flickr link not working; my Photobucket account doesn't work for me anymore or else I would have put the pictures there. But if you look on the Epiphone website like I mentioned you'll see that the bridge is upside down; just go to "Products", "Out of Production", "Emporer Regent", "Electronics"; you might need a magnifying glass like I did, but it is upside down. Physics doesn't change, it should be four in a line for the wound strings (the G is intended to be wound) then a shift back towards the tailpiece for the two plain strings. This is Luthier 101 knowledge and it's hard to fathom Epiphone could make this mistake so many times on this model.

OK I went there and I suppose you mean the bridge is flipped on the posts making the saddles reversed? By upside down I was expecting the saddles to be underneath and the strings running over the plain wood (the bottom of the bridge). Well, does it intonnate like that? If so, then fine...

I once saw a NEW Super 400 on which the bridge was reversed straight from the factory.

The sixth string position was where the first should be and vice versa.

Now, I thought at the time that it was a mistake........

DG

OK I went there and I suppose you mean the bridge is flipped on the posts making the saddles reversed? By upside down I was expecting the saddles to be underneath and the strings running over the plain wood (the bottom of the bridge). Well, does it intonnate like that? If so, then fine...

Yeah, I guess I should have said flipped or backwards instead of upside down, but it does look upside down if you are looking at the guitar straight on if it is standing on end... Anyway, I just flipped it around and the fatter strings seem to be holding in the slots cut for the thin strings (as long as I don't play any Green Day style rhythm parts -not bloody likely.) With the bridge flipped proper the guitar intonates perfectly. I decided to buy it. For $580 the store called it used but it is so new that it still had the foam sheet under the bridge, there's not a mark on it and they threw in a Gretsch hard-shell archtop TKL case that fits it perfectly. It's probably gonna be a while before we see anymore new Regents. I'll upload some pics if my Photobucket account every starts working again.

....and some don't even know how a bridge on a Regent looks like...... [lol]

there're no saddles - and you'll have a hard time to fit a Gotoh bridge

with or without rocket science

](*,)

Not everyone knows what it looks like. Well then why don't you do something productive and post a pic instead of being so nasty while pointing out everyone else's stupidity?

For all you "rocket scientists". Now that the bad taste has had time to dissipate...., attached please find a picture of a Gotoh bridge. Note the saddles all facing the same direction. Note also the little hex-nuts that DON'T come off.... And to those of you to whom it applies, thank you for your support.

I have various guitars with ABR-1/Tune-o-matic/Nashville bridges and some are one way and some are the other... I personally don't think it makes a difference unless the slots are cut so obviously that you can tell where the strings are meant to go.

I have various guitars with ABR-1/Tune-o-matic/Nashville bridges and some are one way and some are the other... I personally don't think it makes a difference unless the slots are cut so obviously that you can tell where the strings are meant to go.

Precisely my original point.

For all you "rocket scientists". Now that the bad taste has had time to dissipate...., attached please find a picture of a Gotoh bridge. Note the saddles all facing the same direction. Note also the little hex-nuts that DON'T come off.... And to those of you to whom it applies, thank you for your support.

I made the mistake of ordering a Gotoh bridge on which I wanted to put nylon saddles on. Those saddles don't come off!

Two apologies: First to everyone for my having assumed that because I was here on the Epiphone Electrics forum that the bridge being discussed was likely not wooden. Second to "Hombre" for having provided him such a dangerously tempting opportunity to put his pettiness and nastiness on display for all to see.

Archived