Gibson Brands Forums

Peter Rowan

pschaafs

I remember Rowan with Earth Opera and Sea Train (which in the NYC area was a highly anticipated gathering not only because of Rowan and Richard Greene but Andy Kulberg from the Blues Project). What a great musician and presence.

I found an interview where he talks about a guitar made by Wayne Henderson, don't know if this is that. I mostly remember him from Old & in the Way, but I have Rowan Bros CDs too, and have watched a few muleskinners tracks on youtube. He actually wrote Panama Red, though it was the New Riders of the Purple Sage that got the hit.

Peter's Henderson is a 12-fret 000-45 style. I was lucky enough in the mid '80s to teach Peter about guitar strings! I was the manager of a guitar store at the time; we specialized in folk and acoustic instruments. He'd played a gig in a nearby town the night before. I glanced out the window at opening time, and there was this guy getting out of a VW bus, wearing a giant white western hat. Peter Rowan! He came in and visited for a while, and we got to talking about strings. I explained to him the differences between phosphor bronze and 80/20, which he'd never had explained to him. Before he left, he autographed the LP cover of Old And In The Way for me: "To Billy, muchas gracias, Peter Rowan." I have it next to my autographed copy of Tiny Moore Music. Brush with greatness. It was cool!

Archived