Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar repairer required - south of England

AndyK

Hi all, can any of you guys recommend me a good guitar repairer in the south of England please? I'm based in Dorset, but I would travel for the right person. I had my Les Paul refretted a couple of years ago, but it's just not the same as it was - I don't think they used big enough fret wire. I'm seriously considering getting it done again.

I only know of JP Guitars in Bristol but not used him myself. The top UK Gibson dealer is Guitar Village in Farnham, Surrey, don't know if they do that sort of stuff but worth a call. 01252 726821. I highly recommend them, just ordered my 3rd guitar from them.

Bob

Guest Farnsbarns

Yep. Go and see Joe. Link above. If your Gibson goes faulty under warranty, that's where they send you, so do Martin actually, anyway, top bloke and very good imx.

I don't know if you fancy travelling up as far as (South-Central) London but I have had the guys at Antenna Studios / Dickinson Amplification do some work for me.

They have dressed&crowned my two LP R-I's and re-fretted my Gypsy-Jazz guitar - which involved them planing the neck back 'true' before they could even start the job.

I gave them one LP at first just to see how they got on with it and they were so good they got the repeat business.

And if you are lucky they might let you try out one of their 2x12 combos. Just Take A Look At This!..............[drool]

http://www.dickinson...com/en_GB/index

They are a small outfit but know their stuff.

Flight959 has also used them to re-build his old Epi Texan flat-top and I believe he, too, was delighted by their work.

Incidentally, the guy who did the stuff to my #1 LP has an all-original '58 (PAF-equipped) ES-175 which is simply gorgeous.

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

Hi mate, thanks - but that is the place that did my LP the first time, and I wasn't overly pleased with it.

I wasn't going to say anything but I've heard a tale of woe from a chap that went there too.

Try Chandler Guitars near Kew Gardens, London. They have a Plek machine the same as Gibson use.

Details below:

Chandler Guitars

300-302 Sandycombe Rd,

Kew,

Richmond,

Surrey. TW9 3NG

Tel: 020 8940 5874

Workshop: 020 8332 6255

Fax: 020 8948 8203

Email: sales@chandlerguitars.co.uk

Guest Farnsbarns

Try Chandler Guitars near Kew Gardens, London. They have a Plek machine the same as Gibson use.

Details below:

Chandler Guitars

300-302 Sandycombe Rd,

Kew,

Richmond,

Surrey. TW9 3NG

Tel: 020 8940 5874

Workshop: 020 8332 6255

Fax: 020 8948 8203

Email: sales@chandlerguitars.co.uk

I know nothing of these guys but I have one point to make. A plek machine is a cheap, consistent way of doing fret work. It is no where near as good as a true craftsman using hand tools to do the job meticulously.

Dropped my LP off at Joe's this morning. I am pretty sure it's in safe hands. Despite me asking Oasis to put on large Gibson fret wire, Joe measured it and it was only 33/1000" - it should have been over 50/1000. For an extra £30 I am going with stainless steel fret wire, which he said is the best and hardest-wearing. Watch this space. [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

Three-hour round journey in 31 degrees heat (with air con knackered in my car!) - verdict: I've been playing my Cherry Pie for a couple of hours, and it's great. Played it till my fingers were a bit sore... [wink]

k2lw.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Seriously, this guy knows what he's doing, and I took my Firebird up and left it there for him to set up properly.

Archived