Gibson Brands Forums

Is my Classic genuine??

Rikard

Hi all, my first post here.

I have bought a Gibson Les Paul Classic. The seller claims it is a 2004, but the serial number makes me a bit suspicious since it has 6 digits and starts with number four (4xxxxx). Can someone please help me identifying my guitar. I can provide photos of it if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Rikard / Sweden

Ok, please click on the link below to see some photos of my guitar.

The guitar

What raises my suspicions is that the serial number starts with 4 (I thought that a 2004 Classic would start with "04"). On the other hand, if it would be a 1994 Classic, it should have 5 digits. Please let me know if I have misunderstood the serial number logics.

Brgds,

Rikard

Oh, I'm not sure if I get it.

So by the photos it seems to be a genuine Classic, but the serial number does not match it.

Any suggestions what might have happend here (is my guitar a fake??). Is there any other things I can check on my guitar to see if it's a genuine Classic?

Regards,

Rikard

Thanks guys, I appreciate your answers alot. The only thing that bothers me now is the mis-matching serial number. Can it be a 1994 despite it has 6 digits? Besides, it's already in my possession, was confused about the serial number the day I bought the guitar, thought that it was ok, so I bought it ... well, it seems genuine according to you guys, so I'm pretty happy again =P~

Thanks for the advice Bob, I will do that right away (contact Gibson).

Yes, it plays really well, I will have to intonate it for perfection, but it's really ok, but there's more to it, have to go "the full story" though:

I had an SG, Tele and a Strat when I was too young to appreciate quality guitars so I sold them "for nothing" around 1980 and bought a acoustic 6-string Western guitar of Swedish make. I still have that guitar, but it is really not good anymore (bad cracks in the body and bad intonation). By some reason, when I got married (like 10 yrs ago), I quit playing guitar, no special reason at all, so when I bought a US Strat (a 1991, the plus model with Lace pickups) 2 month ago I became like a teenager again! Must say it was really a long time ago I had this much fun as I have had the last two month ... hrmm .. where does wifey come in ... [-X

Now when I had the Fender I really wanted to experience a Gibson LP too, been a dream for a long time, but I could not afford any of those LP:s before, but now was the time!

Never played on a guitar with a board this smooth before, it's so easy to move around the board. I thought that nothing would beat my Fenders rosewood board, but I was wrong. Also, the sound of the humbuckers are really great. I would say that my Fender is the lion's cub while the LP is its father. One thing I like better about my Strat though is the access to the uppermost frets.

Rgds,

Rikard

Your penis is larger now that you have a Gibson..

[-X Is that why we collect them?

You collect penises?

I do not collect' date=' I use and abuse them' date=' like the little whores that they are...:-$ [/quote']

You use and abuses penises?

j/k! j/k!

I'm glad you guys have good senses of humor. If you didn't' date=' I'd probably be hunted down and punched in the face. And that would suck.

This is what was going through my mind during that exchange:

[/quote']ROTFLMAO,jeez this thread was a good read but can we talk about things other than penises and pieces of chit?[-X

Sent a mail to the support regarding the serial number now, and I am really excited about their answer [-X

A new question aroused while I wrote that mail though: The pre-pack checklist states that the guitars model code is "LPCSEBGH". To me it seems though that all classics are using following syntax instead, "LPCSxxNH" (where xx = finish). The only explanation I can come up with is that my version is equipped with golden hardware, instead of the ones made of nickel, i.e. "G" for golden and "N" for nickel, but I do not know.

Rikard

Archived