Gibson Brands Forums

Taking Electronics out of a gibson acoustic

JuanCarlosVejar

Folks ,

I wanted tp know how easy/hard it is to make an guitar with electronics a pure acoustic guitar ? .

the guitar is a 2012 small body with the L.R Baggs Element undersaddle pickup .

a second question these are internal electronics right (no wood has been carved out on the sides to fit the electronics) right ?

JC

The de-install is easy. Just gotta get a new endpin that will fit the now larger 1/2 " hole. Some believe that you may need a new saddle, but I think the ribbon on the Element is so thin it probably didn't affect saddle height at all. I quote from their site "a flexible film sensor only 2 thousands of an inch thick..." So I think you're good w/o a new saddle. Here's the endpin http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Acoustic_guitar:_Bridge_and_endpins/NoJak_Endpin.html

It is a fairly easy straightforward job, just take your time.

As far as an endpin plug, may I suggest one of Bob Colosi's endpin plugs.

They are available in bone or ebony and are quite elegant.

I got an ebony plug for a guitar in which I removed the UST / electronics.

You may need a new saddle too, try the old one first but I think it may end up low.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/Plugs.asp

That's like taking the stereo out of your car because you don't want to listen to it. How about just turning the stereo off?

haha, thats what I was thinking......I dont think it will make any difference in the tone of the guitar

Ah but removing the weight of the battery, endpin jack and associated wiring and harness clips definitely lightens the guitar. I understand the usefulness of an on-board pickup for performers, but if you don't play out the pickup hardware is just dead weight........easily removed.

I removed the electronics in a J-45 and it was pretty easy except for the under saddle transducer. The hole that it comes up through into the saddle slot was small and it took a lot of persistence and patience to feed it back down into the inside of the guitar. Once that was done everything came out very easily. It all made absolutely no difference in the tone of the guitar but the weight difference was noticeable.

I removed the pickup from my new J-35 and it was easy. I also used an adjustable end pin from Stew Mac and it fit great with a little finagling to get it just right.

I would just advise that you take your time removing the volume control. It is held in by a small piece of velcro which is really stuck in good to the underside of the top. There's a chance the glue on the velcro can pull a little wood off.

Regarding the saddle, I was lucky and did not have to replace it. It was high to begin with and now the action feels perfect.

I do feel that the the guitar sounds better. The under-saddle pickup seemed to dampen the sound a bit.

Archived